Kay Carroll running for District 12...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LI-bratz, Mar 1, 2008.

1. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

http://www.1270wmpm.com/

Last minute Kay Carroll filed for Fred Smiths position. Strange. I am confused do you not have to live in the area you are running for? Maybe he relocated-what do I know. Him in this position I don't think so. My opinion

2. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

District 12 Senate District includes all of Johnston County and parts of Wayne.

3. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

Why don't you think so?

4. Madonna

Madonna Well-Known Member

I cannot find the story on your link.

5. Madonna

6. LI-bratz

He is a rep.

As for my feeling toward him. I do not think he would be good at this. He was part of the problem with the school board (behind closed door meetings etc.) he has not been part of a solution.

I have had dealings with him for many years & I personally just do not like him. That is it. He is sneaky to me.

7. Madonna

He is a Democrat, per reliable sources. Will have to talk to him and do research before forming an opinion.

8. LI-bratz

then he swtiched over
    few years ago he was REP / on the board you are to be non partism(sp) is that right

9. Madonna

I believe he lives in Four Oaks, which means he lives in the District he is running for.

10. Madonna

Yes, the School Board positions are non-partisan. But in saying that it always seems funny to me because unless a person is a Moderate non-partisan, to me, means nothing.

11. LI-bratz

yes, he does live in four oaks I thought the area only consisted of clayton headed towards goldsboro area (not familiar with town names out that way)

12. Madonna

He has been a Democrat all of his life. I just spoke with him on the telephone and I can tell you that he has some great ideas. Before anyone goes into depth on any candidate we need facts and we need to speak to them. Maybe we could have some of them, at a later time, do something on 4042 so that we can understand what they want to do to help us.

13. LI-bratz

ok.............well then he needs to have a public speaking engagement & then maybe I would change my mind about him I would give him that much it would only be fair

14. Madonna

I am in total agreement. Since everyone just signed up we probably need to give them time to breath and then they will start going around to meet people and ask questions. House parties are wonderful because a candidate will come to someone's house to speak with a small group of people and they can ask direct questions. Maybe you and others can setup some house parties in your area but ask the candidates when they are free first.

15. teachourchildrenwell

teachourchildrenwell Active Member

Agreed -- I would love to hear what he has to say about representing Johnston County. I will say that he is VERY attainable, and as a Board Member has ALWAYS returned my calls. That is a good sign - to me - that he cares. However, I do agree with lil bratz that he may be guilty of talking out of both sides of his mouth. Meaning, he say one thing to me about issues regarding the Board of Ed, then votes differently. Want to learn more about where he stands with regard to the issues before I pass judgement.

16. Madonna

I will put up a link shortly for our district but the area he would represent would be all of Johnston County and a small portion of Wayne County. That would mean every town in Johnston County so he does live in the district.

17. Madonna

Here is a quick link I found:

http://www.ncpolitico.com/node/12

District 12
    This district covers Johnston and the more Republican parts of Wayne County.

Fred Smith is running for Governor, and this will therefore be an open seat. Fred won in 2006 by a large margin against Sherry Altman. It didnt help that Smith spent around a million dollars to blanket the Raleigh media market with his face, while Altman spent only 26,000 for her entire campaign.

As we know from Leslie H's writings, Johnston County is undergoing large amounts of growth, meaning that the issues are changing, and the Republicans there will start focusing on economic issues over social issues.

This district will be ignored by just about everyone, making it a perfect opportunity for a grassroots-powered progressive willing to spend all of 2008 knocking on doors and meeting people. Look for a vitriolic Republican primary to help us out here.

The next two districts are in Wake County, and its a little embarrassing that we dont control them.

18. Madonna

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  19. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Only thing is, a serious bonafide candidate will rarely gain anything meaningful from the house party concept unless its a fundraiser. Candidate forums set up at community colleges, HS auditoriums, etc. gets you in front of more people for Q&A sessions and have more publicity. These days, a candidates first priority has to be on raising funds if they are to have a legitimate chance. Sad, but true.

I would assume Kay Carroll has already got the blessing of the local Democratic Party and the State Democratic Party with promises of monies to follow from the state level. Last election, the State Democratic Senate Committee didn't figure it was going to be much of a contest, so they didn't put a lot of money up against Smith. (They put a small amount up in the final month or so hoping to keep him from the 60% mark to make his Gubernatorial chances look weak, according to the insiders in Raleigh I was talking with then...of course I don't think anyone thought he would be so pathetic in his use of monies for this GOP primary, but that's another story). By it being an open Senate seat now, I'm sure they feel much better about their chances, especially with with a candidate who has been elected to another position previously in the county.

Instead of house parties, it might be better to see if the 40/42 Chamber of Commerce would sponsor a candidate forum at WJHS one evening....and then get the word out for a big attendance.

20. Madonna

Shadow Rider,

You are completely correct, bigger audiences are better and maybe the Chamber will put something together. To me, a house party is where individuals can ask questions and the hat can be passed around.

Any and all exposure helps and him having been in a local office helps alot.