Should smoking be banned in public places?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Lucidity, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I just made up my mind and quit cold turkey. I did abstain from alcohol(because that was my weakness) for a month or so until I knew I could handle drinking w/o the cigarettes.

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I quit cold turkey too, stayed away from the 'social settings' that enticed me to smoke for about 3 months, now I am good to go. It will be 2 years on July 9th for me.

3. Southernborn

woohooo....

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

That is awesome you guys!!! Stress is the killer for me!! I gotta figure something else out than cigs!!

5. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I went up to Philadelphia this past weekend and they had no smoking EVERYWHERE! No bars, restaurants, or in front of any building. They had designated areas for smokers, like off the corner of the building away from view.
    I'm a smoker that usually smokes a pack a day. With not being able to smoke in certain places, I had a pack of cigarettes to last me the entire weekend. When I flew back into RDU, I still had three smokes left! But now since I have been home I'm back to a pack a day. :(

6. Clif

Clif Guest

I went through Dr. Stocks. (Thanks to DAH22 who recommended him).

Basically I wanted the injection. I was looking around for the clinic that did it, but discovered that they moved to Charlotte. I posted here and DAH22 suggested Dr. Stocks at Stocks Surgical (919-850-0880). It was a different drug than the other (more well known) one. He said it was something he learned in China as part of their lung cancer surgery process. (Dr. Stocks is a cancer surgeon). It's two shots (one ion the arm and one in the ear), and then a patch for a week, and Chantix for a month.

In the time I have been quit, I have occasionally had a small craving, but it goes away after a few minutes. The cravings are never so bad I've felt like hurting anyone. :)

I recommended it to two other people who have tried it, and they are succeeding as well. :)

7. KellBell

Its hard, there is no doubt. I traded exercise for smoking. Everytime I wanted to smoke, I got up and walked. Walked tothe end of the driveway and back, then it got longer and farther....now I walk about 5 miles, 6 days a week, just as fast as I can go. I was determined not to let food be the substitute. I am hard headed like that.:mrgreen:

8. Southernborn

I have a friend who's Dad did this 4 years ago. He smoked 4 packs a day and had smoked for 30 years and has never picked them up again.

No matter what you do, there will be the occasional cravings, etc. and you've got to figure out how you are going to handle that. I usually drink a bunch of water or chew some gum. I tell you what, it's awesome to actually smell my perfume throughout the day and not stink. :lol:

9. KellBell

that and my kids saying about once a week, Mom, I am so glad you don't smoke anymore, and then they hug me real tight.

gratification at its finest.

10. Southernborn

Yep, I agree

11. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Awww...you made me cry!! :neutral: My kids are my whole motivation right now!!!

12. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

My dh and I quit several years ago using the nicotine inhalers (nicotrol). Its the closest thing to having a cigarette without actually having one. Before that, we'd treid everything from hypnosis to Zyban.
    As far as the ban, we come from Albuq. where it is pretty much banned everywhere. Restaurants and bars, unless they have a seperate enclosed room. And recently, ALL city owned property (parks, busstops, the airport.)
    It was a big deal for many restaurant owners, many of whom now say their business has actually increased. I dont support a ban in an adult venue like a bar, if I dont like it, I wont go but I should be able to take my kids to a restaurant without exposing them.

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I agree with Clif. How a person choses to conduct his or her business should be their own (business). The needs and wants of your customers should dictate how many, if any, non-smoking seats are offered. If you don't like the smoke, go elsewhere to spend your dollars.

This from a former restaurant/bar owner and also former smoker. July 4, 2008 will be 10 YEARS without a cig ! Don't miss 'em one bit. But a good ole Black and Mild Cigar, now THERE'S something i could put my lips around! :twisted:

14. Southernborn

My DH still smokes. He's not a heavy smoker, as a pack will last him about 3 days and he only smokes outside. The kids are po'd he didn't quit with me, they always say stuff like you're going to die of cancer, etc. Dad.....I wish he'd quit! He's smoked since he was about 13:? at least I had quit for 10 years before starting back last year.

15. KellBell

yep, I agree.

I was living in Los Angeles (hollywood actually) when the whole 'smoke free' thing came into fruition, and everyone freaked. But just like you said, business INCREASED in public restaurants and bars.....same will happen here too.

16. Lucidity

Lucidity Well-Known Member

Troll...ehhh.

Just asked for a simple discussion. Granted I'm biased to smelling like a cigarette after going out. I guess I got what I deserved for bringing up a smoking discussion in the tobacco state.

Congrats to all who have been able to successfully quit (more than once). The day will be coming when the "smokers" are huddled outside lighting up.

As you were....

BTW what the heck is a "DH"?

17. Southernborn

DH- Dear Husband....

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Thank you! Hello!

19. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

:iagree:it makes me physically sic!

20. Lucidity

Lucidity Well-Known Member

Don't fit the profile. Guess I wouldn't offend you.

Perception is getting a little twisted here.

For the record it is a complaint up for discussion. People seem to get offended pretty quick here.