La Piazza

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KellBell, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

Good Morning All

Went to La Piazza last night for my b'day dinner, it was awesome. Patrick was our wait person; he did all he could to make us enjoy the evening. I would have preferred cloth napkins but the food was just delish. DH had veal parmigian and I had farfalle (pasta) with pine nuts and sausage in a garlic sauce. The fried calamari was done just right, light batter not heavily fried and the tiramisu to die for.

We will definitely go back.

Have a wonderful day,
    Ro

2. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

In regards to the napkins we have special ones that are still on back order Sorry about that

3. JoCoREZ

JoCoREZ Well-Known Member

Love It

We love La Piazza!!

Try the Italian Sub. It is awesome. My wife is hooked.

The lasagna is also very good. It is simple and what I would consider authentic. :drool:

4. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

Coming from a NY Italian, it's very close to authentic.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Though it is very good Italian food, having spent a year in Italy and having to eat in local establishments due to not having cafeteria facilities on base, I can tell you honestly that it still appears to be "American" Italian and not "Authentic" Italian. Granted I was on the island of Sicily where they use alot of shellfish in their dishes, but that also includes alot of southern italy, and is totally different than anything I have seen called "authentic" italian here in the states.

Craig

6. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

I guess I meant "American" Italian. My folks come from the southern coast, Bari, and as most coastal towns, shellfish and pasta and lots of veges the norm. The portion size in Italy is much smaller as well. No pizza as we know it to be here in the States.

Ro

7. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

So true! People who claim that it is authentic italian have never been to Italy. If you've been to Italy you know that everything we eat is Americanized. I'm not saying I don't enjoy a good lasagna or manicotti, but I believe the word "authentic" is both overused and misused.

8. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

I forgot that New York was a region in Italy...:mrgreen: I'm a Pennsylvania Italian, that's the other region of Italy.

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

portion size is smaller, but a meal is 5 courses long!!
    :mrgreen:

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Having been to Italy, I wouldnt even venture to compare the North End in Boston to the food I had in the different regions in Italy (but i would consider it a close second!)

:lol:

11. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Having been to both New York and Boston, in my opinion nobody makes better grits than Howards on Barber Mill Road.

12. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

Sounds like there are quite a few Italian Americans on this site. Ciao

13. CraigSPL

Actually you need to give the grits a try at McK's when Howard is making them. They are great.

Or I should say his Shrimp and grits.

Craig

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I do not care for "breakfast" grits, but I have eaten them ala Shrimp and Grits and they were delicious. i know some recipes for this dish call for making the grits with milk/cream instead of water, thus "creamy grits". BIG difference!

15. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

If you ever go to Hilton Head go to a restaurant called Aqua and have the blackened grouper over white cheddar grits. :drool:

16. Grinder

McK's has shrimp and grits?

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Not on the menu, just a special when the mood strikes the chef. :mrgreen:

18. Grinder

Well damn. Love the S&G's down at Bassnights at the Outer Banks. Have not found a place local that has them.

19. ObSeRvInG

ObSeRvInG Active Member

If you're ever in Cary, the shrimp & grits at Lucky 32 are awesome! They've been on the menu every time I've ever been (around 10 times in the past few years). I think that dish is around $12. The food, atmosphere and service are worth it if you want to go out to a nice place.

20. CraigSPL

Couple of nights this past week they have had pan seared scallops, lightly fried oysters, blackened grouper along with pan seared grouper.

The chef up at McK's (Howard) just makes up specials as he goes. Stuff like the grouper and scallops, home made soups like potato, vegitable, clam chowder. He has done shrimp and grits a few times, makes his own meatloaf, and spaghetti sauces. Alot of once or twice type stuff, depending on how well it goes over.

Craig