Should smoking be banned in public places?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Lucidity, Mar 4, 2008.

1. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

You said it yourself........ it's a tobacco state.

2. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

I dont drink, for the record. I know the second hand smoke isnt going to make me or my kids drop dead in our dinner at a restaurant. But there is also something to be said for enjoying the meal and the atmosphere in an establishment where you are spending your money isnt there?

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but isn't that why there's SMOKING & NON-SMOKING sections?

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

That's why I'm so picky as to where I do spend my money. The restaurants we frequent with our children we don't usually run into those problems.

5. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

and smokers feel the same way............should we even start in about cryin azz youngins in the restaurants?

6. le

le Well-Known Member

Eventually more and more places may come to this. Let us just hope these huddling masses ain't right at the entrance or exit!

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep, we go where there isn't a smoke issue too, or they have excellent ventilation.

we went to the Draft House last night and sat on the non smoking side, and we still smelled like an ashtray when we left there....that place is THE worst. So the smoking/non smoking thing doesn't always rule it out, unfortunately.

8. Chimp

Chimp Well-Known Member

I think "family" restuarants should be smoke free. The whole smoking section and nonsmoking section just does not work. I would gladly support non smoking family restaurtants, but it is hard to know which ones are non smoking. Is there a place you can look up Johnston co. nonsmoking restaurants? I know you can in durham and wake co. I also fully support the nonsmoking in hospitals and on hospital grounds.

9. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

I can agree with not smoking IN the hospital.

10. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

What you said and add to that some really bad body odor.

11. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

Yeah, the "smoking or non?" thing is a joke. If theres smoke anywhere, theres smoke everywhere. In regards to crying kids in a restuarant, thats rude too. I think most of us here would agree that we take our crying kids outside and NOT let them disturb someone elses meal by screaming in their ears. By the same token, let me enjoy my meal without blowing smoke in my face. And as I said, I smoked for many years, but never in a family venue where there were non smokers and their kids. I never had a problem with "taking it outside." Its just seems like a common courtesy.

12. Southernborn

Don't get me started on that or them crying in the movie theaters. Jeesh....I kept my kiddo's at home during those "terrible two's" or at least we ate at kid themed places.

I can't stand to be trying to have a nice dinner conversation and someones kid starts screaming at the top of their lungs, running around my table, etc. It even freaks my kids out, they even make comments about they should of kept that kid at home. :lol:

I always expect smoke at the Draft House, but I still go. I don't take the girls there, not even on the non-smoking side.

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Just using those words probably. At our outings I'm constantly *waving* my hand to move the smoke somewhere else. :lol:

14. Southernborn

Even when I did smoke, I never did in the restaurant, unless it was a pub or bar/restaurant type place like Draft House, Wild Wings, etc. In my opinion children shouldn't be in those places anyway. I don't smoke now, but I still go to those places and I'm not going to watch my mouth in a adult alcohol served environment, where someone sits beside me with their kids in tow.

15. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

Exactly, I only meant it metaphorically:lol:
    And yes...kids in theatres....:x how rude! Ever hear of Blockbuster?

16. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

been 13 years for me and well i substitued food dont do that now i have a weight problem :(

17. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

cant win for losing

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

We eat out enough to know which restaurants have the best ventilation etc. and as of the last couple of years I've found that there seems to be less smoking in the restaurants by personal choice these days compared to the past. I have a very bad allergy reaction to cig. smoke. There's been very few times as of late that I've really been bothered by smoke while in the non-smoking areas. So I think for the most part people that smoke these days are trying to be considerate of others. I really could care less about other public places but would love to see it done in restaurants, otherwise smoke away boys and girls, anywhere else I can get away from the smoke, it's a little hard to do that in a restaurant.

19. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

I dont care if a smoker smokes in a restaurant but it would be nice if the smoking section in some restaurants wasnt so close to the non smoking section. i mean i dont care to smell the smaoke as i eat :( but i dont think they should be banned either.

20. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

thats what I'm thinkin...... I'm courtsey too, I sit in the smokin section.... I ain't blowin smoke in your face just like you are takin your kids outside when they are cryin......