Should smoking be banned in public places?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Lucidity, Mar 4, 2008.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

We can argue all we want but until (and it eventually will be) smoking is banned we have to make our own decisions on which restaurants we dine in based on our preference or tolerance to their smoking atmosphere. If there is not a effort to provide a almost smoke free atmosphere (Cracker Barrell is a positive example) our family will not return to a restaurant no matter how good the food.

2. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

Drinking and driving harms people. That is illegal. Smoking harms people so that should be illegal too. I shouldn't have to get lung cancer from someone's bad habit.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Smoking and Nonsmoking sections
    Kid and nonkid sections
    stupid and non stupid sections

Sounds good to me.

4. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I'm 63 years old. I've smoked for over 50 years. I married a woman who never smoked. On May 5th 2002 she died from second hand smoke.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well there was the drunk at the Clayton Center last Friday night. I smelled like a brewery the rest of the evening.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually I just saw a study that said that the obese were less a drain on the economy, because we tend to die earlier than you healthy punks! :mrgreen:

7. Lucidity

Lucidity Well-Known Member

Can't refer to yourself in the second person.:lol: We're shooting darts tomorrow nite. Come on over.:cheers:

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Three strikes, now in New Jersey, Don't Drink, don't shoot darts. In addition I don't smoke, about the only joy left is eating and sex, and the latter ain't happening anywhere near you! :mrgreen:

9. NadiaP

NadiaP Well-Known Member

Dont need many words to make an inarguable point. So sorry for your loss.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Wow, I am sorry to hear that.

Personally I don't care what you do to your own body, I don't even care if you smoke indoors, but I and my loved ones better not smell it.

If it is in a park, I will get up and move, but if you are a business and want my business you better accommodate the non-smokers.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I like it :mrgreen:

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Which section are you headed for, Harley Girl? :p

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

The smoking, non kid, non stupid section :lol:

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So sorry for your loss.

You smokers on here, you know I luv ya, (some of ya anyway!:mrgreen:) but my husband's grandmother lost a lung to to cancer and she never smoked a day in her life, caused by her husband's cigarettes. I've never smoked, and there is not a day that goes by I don't wish my own mother would stop. She had a close call about 18 months ago, spent 10 days in the hospital collapsed lung, heart problems, you name it. She's only 56 now. She's still smoking, not as much granted. She lies to me about it, because she knows how I feel. I hope she lives long enough to see my DS graduate. I am not holding my breath. :cry:

If you don't quit for yourselves, quit for those that love you and would miss you when your gone. Those that have quit, you have my sincere congratualtions and heartfelt wish that you can stick with it.

OK, getting off my soap box now.......................................

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

smoking & non stupid = oxymoron

16. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

I will meet ya there

17. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

I do think 2nd hand smoke can cause lung cancer.

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Will, lets review. I've seen more kids in the hospital ER for bronchitis and URI (upper respiratory infection) due to smoking parents than any other cause. Kids with smoking parents have a higher increase of developing lung disease such as asthma and bronchitis, this is a fact. So, if the kids can be effected why not the adults?

19. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

yeah, now granted my kids are now in ther late 20's, with my 1st, I quit smoke while pregnant, with the 2nd, thought I knew everything, kept on smoking while pregnant, 2nd one was born premature, less than 6 lbs, was in the hospital by the time she was 3 months old w/ pneumonia, had asthma until she was an older teenager..... I can remember feeding her the bottle and smoking at the same time..... When the dr. told me that I was committing child abuse b/c I smoked in the car with my kids I was mortified..... now looking back, even as a smoker today, they were right, I smoke in my home now, but not when kids or non smokers are there. I do try to be a considerate smoker, and I wish I had the will to quit..... 2nd hand smoke does affect those around you.

20. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I could believe you, or I could believe doctors and scientists. Gee, I am SO confused.