Should smoking be banned in public places?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Lucidity, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well lets add to the list of things that can't be proved, prove to me or show me that a significant portion of people who got lung cancer didn't spend time in a smoky bar or restaurant even though they did not smoke themselves.

I don't know to many folks that live in a bar, or at least if the statistics are tallied for them.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Is this possibly why they will not let trucks run through restaurants on a regular basis? 8)

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I'm a smoker, but, since I had 1 lung removed I've cut my smoking in half!!:lol::lol:

I'm a courteous smoker. I ask before I smoke around others. I'm aware of my surroundings while smoking and I avoid invading others with my nasty drug habit.

Speaking of drug habit .... why can a drug addict go into a clinic and get free treatment to get off an "illegal" drug and I can't walk into the same clinic and get off a legal drug? And the bonus to that is over $60 million is given to North Carolina every year from the law suit for smokers. Why can't I get the money to pay for the detox when I'm the person that got them the money?

The double bonus to that is; call any of the health organizations like the Cancer Society or the Heart Association and ask them that question? They will next to hang up on you. They should be lobbying to get that money to the users for treatment.

The triple bonus to the whole darn stupid "non-smoker whining". Phillip Morris Tobacco spent more money on anti-smoking assistance & advertising last year then all the health organizations and the U.S. government combined. So where's all those law suit billions going to??? They're dumped in the coffer and are picking up the slack on not raising taxes. So the next time you see a smoker thank him or her, you idiot, because they are saving you money!!!!!!

4. Hoof-Hearted

Hoof-Hearted Well-Known Member

Heck no

Smoking should never be banned. they should have a non screaming section though.
    Just for those screaming rotten kids. And while your at it maybe drinking should be banned also, along with eating in your car, and talking on the cell phone while driving. These things are more hazardous to people than smoking.
    I most certainly get stressed out when them darn kids won't stop yelling and ordering their parrents what to do. If people cant control their kids ,.I say let them smoke if they want to.
    ANY ONE GOT A LIGHT.?
    REMEMBER FREEDOM !!!!? * NOT COMMUNIST RULE.*
    :evil:

5. ws

ws Well-Known Member

its much easier to get up and leave to avoid the smoker than it is to get the fvck out of the way of a drunk driver

6. ws

ws Well-Known Member

haha nice

7. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Why tend to one problem when you have two others? That makes a lot of sense. And I don't have any guilt. I'm speaking from experience, not guilt.And I don't think I am signing away my freedoms by honoring the freedom of others.

8. Madonna

Madonna Well-Known Member

Stupid government intrusion. What does not cause cancer today? That would probably be the better question?

9. Lucidity

Lucidity Well-Known Member

America the beautiful.....Nothing is black and white anymore (don't construe that statement).

That's what's wrong this country. We can't seem to decide what is right and wrong. Rome destroyed itself in 2000 years. Betcha American can do it in less than 400!

10. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Any government has an obligation to protect it's people. When cigarette smoke is the leading cause of death in this country it would be wrong for government NOT to intrude.

11. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

Leading cuase of death is Heart disease, are they gonna take away everything that causes that?

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

Heart disease: 652,486

Cancer: 553,888

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,074

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 121,987

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 112,012

Diabetes: 73,138

Alzheimer's disease: 65,965

Influenza/Pneumonia: 59,664

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 42,480

Septicemia: 33,373

12. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

uuuuhhhh.......whatever.......It makes no difference to me. BUT you DO have the cutest avatar I've seen in awhile.......I must guch now:

"hey puppy, puppy!!! You a pretty puppy!! *kiss* kiss*"

Okay...............I'm done:oops:

13. Clif

Clif Guest

Ok, it took a while to catch up (and it will take longer to reply only being able to type left handed).

First off, those who want smoking banned are awful darned arrogant to think you can tell me how I should run my restaurant. If y'all weren't paranoid and told me who you were, I would not serve you whether or not I allowed smoking.

Second, a point was made about exhaust. Since car exhaust is bad for you, we should ban drivethroughs. I mean, think of the poor pharmacist at CVS that has to breath that all day long.

Third, I had an uncle who died in a car wreck. The doctor who pronounced him dead, put that as the primary reason. As a secondary reason, he put down smoking (my uncle was a smoker). The doctor said it was policy that if the deceased was either a smoker or lived with a smoker, they always put it down as a secondary reason for death.

Finally, as a smoker, I hated smoke nazis. Those who felt obliged to tell you what to do with your personal life. When I quit, I swore I would not be such a person. If you want to smoke, fine by me. If I don't want to smell it, I'll go somewhere else.

14. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

AMEN BROTHER, PLEASE ROCK ON! :iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::hurray:

15. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I said the leading cause of death is cigarette smoke which can cause heart disease, cancer, stroke and chronic lower respiratory diseases. The top four on your list.

16. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

THEY CAN ALSO BE CAUSED BY ALOT OF OTHER THINGS THAN SMOKE!
    GET YOUR FACTS RIGHTS!

LEADING CUASE OF DEATH IS NOT CIGARETTE SMOKE!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  17. Madonna

So, are you saying that the government should ban people from eating fatty items, that the government should pass laws that people have to exercise and the government should pass laws regarding prevention of high blood pressure, also? Darn, the government would be telling me I can no longer eat french fries nor can restaurants serve them...government intrusion at its best.

18. Madonna

19. Madonna

devilock76,

On the other forum under the thread Music Groups You Never Heard Of But Are Awesome my husband and I put out a link to YouTube Funkadelic that we thought you would enjoy. He's more into that than me. If you have not seen it, you should.

20. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

Thats my point to Bear!