A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Where we ate lunch today, we seen this fella. Anybody remember him? AND DON'T CHEAT!! :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

2. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

You would know...and I won't say why.8):mrgreen:

Daddy picked him off, immediately. And of course went up and talked to'em. I seen him at the dessert bar he smiled and then it all came rushing back. He has a very distinct smile.

3. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Got to brag, as some of you know my oldest will start HS next year. She was really worried about getting put into honors classes her freshman year, so I spoke with her teachers. They talked to her and after her placement test came back so high they really encouraged her to take all the honors classes next year. She got over her fears and signed up. I'm so proud. PLUS, today she got an invitation to attend the 2008 National Junior Leaders Conference which is held at places like Stanford, Georgetown, DePaul, Columbia, etc. As you know she's been invited to the last 3 years of People to People Student Program, but has not been interested. Let's hope I can get her excited about this one...because she can go to discover medicine, science and robotics at John Hopkins, and she would like to go into the medical field. WOOO HOOO.....hold your fingers that I can get her excited about his program.

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

5. Madonna

Madonna Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you and yours. She will be just fine once she starts. I watched a friend of mine's daughter at the Clayton High Beauty Pageant over the weekend and remembered how she had no confidence in herself as she grew up. She would stumble over her own feet as she walked and would not look anyone in the eye. It was announced at the Pageant that she is graduating this year with the highest grade point average, ever, at Clayton High. She has received full scholarships to many colleges and is trying to decide where to go. This young lady was accepted to NCSSM and turned it down because she did not want to move away from her family. Anything is possible!!!!!!!!!

6. Southernborn

Thanks ya'll. I can tell her confidence has really blossomed the last year. She keeps telling me that she's not smart, my response is that you wouldn't be making good grades and good choices if you weren't smart. She just came in from outside and actually took the literature about the NJLC up to her room to read it...so crossing my fingers.

7. Madonna

Will keep mine crossed, as well. Give her space and time and with those brains she'll make the right decisions.

8. Southernborn

I know I never make them do anything they don't want to do (besides chores, etc.). It's just hard to sit by and watch her not take advantage to great opportunities she's offered. If I could only go back in time and have those same opportunities, but I will never be one of those parents who makes her do things that she really doesn't want to do. Right now it's all about socializing for her.:lol:

9. Madonna

I totally understand. Yes, we cannot go back in time and probably should not. What we do need to remember is that we wanted to socialize ourselves. My eldest has been in that mode since hitting high school and right now is having a tough time. We know kids who are using drugs, drinking, having sex, etc. I realize that I am lucky that none of mine are doing that (yet). I think it is harder on girls because what we have been told is that most start high school with the same friends they had in middle but by the end of high school they are lucky to have one of them still as a friend. I don't have answers to these problems because I just did not go through all of that "girl" stuff. It seemed like I just had friends in all circles. Recently my daughter told me one of her close friends was thinking about going all the way with her boyfriend and my daughter thinks the girl is now trash. I told my daughter not to push her away but to let her know what could and can happen if she does. Hopefully things will work out but it is very hard socially for them. Especially for those who excel, my opinion, because they want the best all the way around.

10. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

Congrats SB! That is so great. She is going to change so much next year and over the next 4 years. And she will be just fine. My daughter took honors classes during high school. She also got invitations to many of those programs but was too shy to ever attend and I could not talk her into it so I let it go. Hopefully yours will. I know some of those programs are chances of a lifetime. Tell her to keep up the hard work. I know you are proud and have every right to brag. And you keep up the good work too!

11. Tangerine

my baby just left for Bristol.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Going to come back smelling of Gasoline and rubber?

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Making me homesick, that's where we lived before we came here. I never watched a race till I got free tickets there one year. I didn't know what I had, LOL!

14. Tangerine

no you didn't know what you had. lol i would love to be there this weekend.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Actually, they are likely to be cold and wet!! I went to I think 3 races, they were all spring ones. Two of them got rained out. I don't know when I have ever been that miserable!! But it is LOTS of fun. I'm not a rabid fan by any means, I have no Nascar memorabilia, but I do like to watch the races. Charlotte is fun, but a completely different experience than Bristol. I hope to catch one at Martisnville soon.

Oh, and if we didn't have tickets to the race, we tried to leave town. The traffic is unreal for those weekends. One of DH's co-workers lived near the track, we'd just park at his house and walk in, then have a little afterparty while we waited for everyone else to get out!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  16. Tangerine

yeah he did say it was gonna be cold and rainy. serves him right for going without him. lol the only race i've ever been to was in Sept. and it poured rain but i still had a blast. he hasn't taken me to one since because of all the bad luck we had on that trip.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Do something fun for yourself while he's gone! My DH is gone right now for 5 days on a motorcycle trip. I am having fun anyway! No cooking, I get to watch what I want on TV, leave it on all night if I want too, and the cat gets to sleep in the bed. LOL. I don't know how she knows, but she knows! Enjoy some "me" time, get a manicure, go shopping with your girlfriends, watch sappy movies!

18. Tangerine

well he doesn't live with me so the cats can sleep with me anyway. lol Think i'm going to take my mom shopping this weekend. I'll definitely need a drink after that. lol

19. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's really awesome, SB! Congrats on that apple not falling far from the tree. :)