Walmart vs. a brain damaged woman

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GlobeBiz, Mar 28, 2008.

1. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Trust me I have earned more money for what I do..I'm not saying that I should get paid 70 grand a year for it. But, more then what I make. It has been said even there that we don't get paid what we are worth, and that comes from a managers mouth. But, hey got to follow company's pay scale. That claim they can't afford a fully trained schooled cake decorator so they train with in the company and pay less.

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Mag, I have to post and run (just logged on to check the status of finding a home for a kitty) But, I never said they should receive the same WAGES. I said they should receive the same BENEFITS. Where I worked the pay scale started at 18,000 and went on up. We ALL had the same choices for healthcare whether you were Production, IT, or Corporate.

3. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Exactly...you had higher salaries to balance the scale. Yes, it cost the company more to have the higher quality Health insurance, but the employee pool that took advantage of the plan had people with higher value skills and knowledge - and who thus brought more dollar value to the company - so they could have that plan.

4. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I think everyone has made some good points here. I certainly agree with Magnolia that a brain surgeon should make more money than a high school drop out. If you choose to drop out of school you're going to end up on the bottom. What is in question here is where should the bottom be. I believe that anyone working full time should be able to stand on their own two feet. When someone goes to work at Wal-Mart and they say we're going to give you $x an hour and we realize that you can't live on that but here's how you can get assistance for food stamps, housing assistance, medi-aid etc. then that becomes a burden on us. In other words what Wal-Mart is saying is we pay half your salary, the taxpayers pay the other half. That's why we need to raise the minimum wage. We're not subsidizing the employee, we're subsidizing the employer. aka corporate welfare.

5. rushlow2004

I agree she did make some good points and I understand that as well. I also agree about the brain sugeon vs. High school drop out. I'm not a high school drop out, I just didn't finish College. I'm not on food stamps, housing assistance or what ever..I make to much. I will say that I do make a few dollars above the minimum wage, I do live in a nice 3 bedroom house and have a good car ect. I have what I need to get by. All I was saying was that for what I do they can or could pay us more cause we have earned over and over again. At one time they did do merit raises but they stopped that about a year ago..now we just get raises once a year. That is only between 40 to 60 cents each time. Sure I want more money because I have earned it. I have no problems with my bennies, better then nothing.
    Sheri

6. Absaroka

Absaroka Well-Known Member

rushlow2004,,Sheri,50 cakes a day, ummm, I think you should be one of the highest paid people on here,now thats what I call a real service to humanity
    :mrgreen:

7. magnolia

If they are willing to take a job at Walmart for minimum wage...do you think they are going to make more elsewhere?

If Walmart didn't exist, does that somehow make these employees skilled enough for jobs that pay more than minimum wage?

If someone is working full-time at Walmart, then either they don't have the skills and knowledge to work a job that makes more than minimum wage....or they are are too lacking in ambition to work a job that requires more effort than a minimum wage job.

The only difference that Walmart's existance makes, it that it at least Walmart provides enough minimum wage jobs for those that apparently can't or won't work jobs requiring more skills....because they sure do fill them.

Okay...say that Walmart closes down today. And in towns all over America, the employees that work at Walmart AND are on public assistance, lose their Walmart jobs.

Can you explain to me, Bear....how losing their minimim wage job would make them no longer need public assistance? It is a fact that if they need public assistance while working at Walmart...then they will need MORE public assistance and be MORE of a burden on society if they don't have that Walmart job...right?

What?!?!

You guys sure like to blame Walmart for things that are not Walmart's fault and not Walmart's responsibility!

Explain to me why Walmart is responsibile for Susan Jones not going to college or doing what is necessary to get enough skills and knowledge to work more than a minimum wage job. How did Walmart keep her from doing that?

Explain to me why Walmart is responsible for making sure that Joe Smith feeds his family or insures his family.

Explain to me why all of the other minimum wage employers such as McDonalds, Burger King, Dollar Tree, Lowes Foods, Target, Home Depot, etc....aren't responsible for people's skill level and family support...but Walmart is.

8. rushlow2004

Your so funny :mrgreen:

9. Absaroka

Thanks Sheri,:mrgreen: Now I'm a" funny" uneducated Redneck:lol::lol:

10. magnolia

I have no degree either, Sheri. Didn't have the money when I got out of high school, and my grades were average.

I chose to answer phones in an office, rather than work retail, when I got out of high school because I felt being in an office provided a better chance to move up - using sheer hard work and initiative - than the retail environment. Thankfully it paid off. I now make considerably more than the median salary for Raleigh...and I still don't have a degree. I worked my butt off and have had periods where sleep was last on the list of priorities (I've worked full time and raised my daughter on my own since she was a baby)...but it was worth it.

Having a degree isn't necessary to support oneself. It makes it harder, but it's not required. All that is required is to work where the opportunity is, show initiative, show up on time, be reliable, ask questions, ask for cross-training.

Anyone who works where there is no opportunity to move up - be it due to the positions available there, or due to a crappy boss - should get out and find a job elsewhere.

11. Absaroka

:mrgreen:When I get married Iwant to marry a woman(or women) that's going to be to proud for her husband to work

:hurray:

12. rushlow2004

You should be very proud of what you have done! :)
    I started out in Daycare, did it for 5 years or so, and then went and worked for my parents store for 10 years and managed several of their stores. When we closed down one of them I felt like I needed to work for a "bigger" company to get better bennies and pay..each one I moved up a little and found I didn't like the way things were done..treatment ect and thought this isn't who I want to become. Reason I got out of the supervisor/manament roles. Doing what I do now is something I never thought I would be doing. Sure I like it better, less stress ect..but it's still not what I want to do..and to do what I want to do will take money that I don't have.
    Thought of school again, but nothing really intrest me at all. Now I just feel like I'm going with the flow to make ends meet and taken care of my daughter.
    I would love to work for myself out of the home, but really don't where to start.
    Plus it's such a risk taker to do that when I have a little one to think of. Knowing this past week with her surgery, and having built up sick time that I could stay home from work for 2 weeks with pay to care for her. To me I think that is worth it.
    Sheri

13. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm a high school drop-out. Am I on the bottom? No. Although the public education did me a great disservice, I earned my GED and graduated from college. Although most will disagree, for some children the best option is to earn their GED.

14. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a GED, and it's never too late to go back for more education. Some kids are not ready to really benefit from the opportunity at 18 or 20, but if they live in the real world for a while, they are much more willing to concentrate and work hard on their education. They may get a lot more out of it with a little added maturity.

15. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I'M not talking about you, that's for sure. I'm a high school drop out, got my GED in the army, learned a trade. I never got rich but I survived. And good for you! Got your GED, graduated from college, SUPER! I admire you. I'm talking about people who are too lazy to do those things.

16. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Because Wal -Mart is the biggest Target! ( No pun intended )

17. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

SOSDD Mags. It's always someone else's fault. Personal responsibility out the window... :banghead:

18. Cleopatra

I'm not really sure how to respond to this, so I am going to just respond to your previous post. :confused:

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Didn't I read somewhere that Walmart was now NOT going after this woman's money?

20. Cleopatra

I dunno, I'm just responding to Mag since I have been offline a few days.