Constant nose bleeds in 5yo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MommySAIDno, Apr 3, 2008.

1. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

My nephew has been having nosebleeds for several months now. They will just start for seemingly no reason. During the day, during the night and several a day.

I had nosebleeds as a teen and had to have a blood vessel in my nose cauterized. Don't know if this might be what is going on with him. Sis was ready to take him to an ENT about a month back and then, they just stopped so she waited. They started back this week.

Anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on the matter?? I'm worried about the little guy.

2. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Sounds scary MSN, try a humidifier in his room? Maybe dry air is aggravating it.

3. MommySAIDno

Oh! Sis has a humidifier for him and has tried several things. Does not seem to make any difference. :?

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Poor thing!!! Yes, definately agree with Ken, get him checked out with an ENT!!

5. MommySAIDno

I agree! Sis does not like to give him much meds but she realizes he needs to see an ENT. I think she has made an appointment. I am just a worried Aunt and I was hoping maybe someone here had dealt with something similar and might share and hopefully ease my mind. I love all 4 of her kids like they are my own.

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I had the same problem when I was younger.....Doctor told me to stop sticking my finger so far up there!

NO really, it was dry air... had to use a humidifier most of my childhood.

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

ENT...thats not normal

8. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

LOL that was funny.

I would take him to the doctor just to make sure. When I was little I had them too. The doctor never found out where they came from. I think it was from my cousin, he was always beating up on me. Probably just from the dry air.

9. samsaunt

samsaunt Member

Mann ENT 859-4744, Dr Jones is great

10. MommySAIDno

Thanks! Actually, she lives in another state but we talk very often. We have been going to Raleigh ENT for many years since oldest DD has septum issues in her nose.

11. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

KellBell and I are in love with Mr. Bowtie. :p

I second Dr. Jones!

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

he is my ENT too!! He is the best pediatric ENT guy too....did both of my son's adenoids....the best.

13. When I was your nephews age i had constant nose bleeds. Turns out i had very bad allergies and was very allergic to dust and dander. I couldnt have stuft toys or pets. You might want to have them check for that

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

When I was about 2 years old I used to get nosebleeds all the time. They put me in the hospital, ran tests, thought I was anemic. Turned out I was allergic to eggs. I grew out of it over the years, but it was something that simple. I would get nosebleeds that would last for what seemed like forever. My mom used to even tell the babysitters that if I got a nosebleed not to panic, I could take care of it myself, but if it went on for more than an hour, then they could call my parents or grandparents.

15. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

My son used to get frequent nosebleeds as well. It was mostly from the dry air and "manual irritation" if you get my drift. He has pretty much grown out of it. You can try using neosporin inside his nose to help with the dryness and see if that helps. I would also use saline nose spray after each nosebleed as well. Good luck.

Karen

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Tell them not to take anything for granted here. Persistent nosebleeds can (not always) indicate something serious. Does the child bruise easy or have any strange bruises or spots that look like blood under the surface? The child probably should have bloodwork just to be on the safe side.

17. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Bloodwork I would second but definitely I vote for Mann ENT as well. A few of mykids go there. We've had deviated septums, broken noses, severe allergies, etc. Sounds like severe allergies to me IF he has NO other symptoms other than nosebleeds. Keep in mind, i'm NOT a doctor, just another parent who's done alot of surgeries (we average about 6 a year) and various issues w/ kids.

Glad she's made an appointment.

Take care,

Stephanie--mom to 7

18. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

If the blood work is Within Normal Limits (WNL), then one must understand that an ENT is a surgically trained doctor who makes income based on surgery. The orientation towards cauterization may be financially induced. According the the British Medical Journal (BMJ) and the latest review of Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) comparing the outcomes of cauterization and non cauterization, and with varying ages and both sexes included in a pediatric population, there was no substantial difference in outcomes. Ask for the evidence before you choose the surgery.
    Ask the pediatrician to check the most recent blood work for any clotting markers or factors. Make sure the kid is getting a good diet, especially green leafy veggies, and a one a day multi-vitamin might be a good idea.
    One can always choose surgery or cauterization after evaluating other options. I have seen some clinical evidence that bleeding can be better controlled/reduced by administration of Vitamin K, (not potassium K)
    YMMV, I am not a physician, nor do I portray one on TV.
    H6

19. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Had a friend growing up that used to get them all the time (what up Joe Schmo). He used to take a piece of paper, fold it up til it was about the size of a stepped on cigarette butt. Then place it behind his upper lip, but in front of his upper teeth, all the way up to that little "strap" that holds your upper lip on, and the pressure would make the nosebleed stop. I have no clue why it works, but it does.

Might be bad for a 5 year old (choke hazard), but teens can do it.