Moles Moles Moles !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AppleFritters, Apr 9, 2008.

1. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

I couldn't get rid of them last year and must have hibernated over the winter because they're back ugh!!!!!!!!!!!! Lowes salesperson says you can't get rid of mole until you get rid of grub. So I buy the Triazide or however you spell it and and holes still popping up. Well I buy the mole stuff that you hook to your hose and no new holes in that area. But new holes everywhere else. Well I decide to buy one of those mole traps. To be honest, that was a last ditch effort, didn't really have much faith in it. Now considering those vibration things, but on an acre of land, that can't seem the most affordable route. I hope my neighbor's cat would do the trick but I think they buy too much Little Friskies for her. Anyone out there with success in ridding their lawn of moles?

2. le

le Well-Known Member

3. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

4. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

We have moles all over our yard too and are in the same boat. With over an acre of land these things get expensive. I had one yard guy tell me that even if we got rid of the grubs, it may not help because the moles have been here so long. I guess this is home for them now. He said if would be very difficult. I can tell, it gets worse each year.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Old wives tale here, but supposedly they don't like human hair. Get your hairdresser to bag all her clippings and save them for you in a bag, then put the hair down in the holes. Have no idea where this originated, but my Mom did it, and it worked. Who knows, coulda been neighborhood cats too. 8) But would be in-expensive to try.

6. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I have also heard that if you soak cotton balls in ammonia and stuff them in their holes it makes them think it's cat urine, or use "used" cat litter if you have housecats. I did it at our old place where the yard was no bigger than a postage stamp, and it seemed to chase them to the neighbor's yard. I'm sure they appreciated it.

7. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Likely me (insert sarcasm here) I have both the rodents in my yard, moles and voles.

8. sus

sus Well-Known Member

LEt's see...according to Jerry Baker there are several home remedies

Sprinkle used kitty litter in the holes
    Juicy Fruit gum cut up and put in hole.( says they hate the smell)
    or use his Mole chaser tonic found in Green Grass Magic tips and tricks by Jerry Baker
    Mole Chaser Tonic:
    In a Med Size Container mix these Ingredients:
    2 tbsp Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp of chilli powder
    1 tbsp of liquid dish soap
    1 qt of water
    Pour a little in the mole runways to make them run away!!!

Never used this tonic but love all the other ones he has for the lawn and weeds.:lol:

9. INTHEBUFF

Or better yet, you could use one of my dogs to catch them for ya, their experts in this field. Oh no. Wait a minute. I guess you don't really want your yard all dug up like mine has been since the little critters came out of hybernation.:lol: Because if I couldn't laugh I'd have to cry while filling in all those holes they've dug up trying to get at the little stinkers.:cry:

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my dog too!! he gets them all....and lays them up by the front porch for us to see how 'good' he's been when we get home.....:ack:

11. clive

clive Well-Known Member

At least your dogs are accomplishing something useful with their digging.
    Mine just dig.:x

12. sus

sus Well-Known Member

they are afraid of my dog anyway LOLOL

13. INTHEBUFF

Well then, I'll just borrow your dogs and bring them back when their job is done.:lol:

14. sus

sus Well-Known Member

You are welcome to do that. Have a large truck to haul him in? he is 220 #'s

15. INTHEBUFF

Absolutely, heavenforbid if I send them out without a job to do, after all they are hunting dogs.

16. INTHEBUFF

Oh honey, I don't mean your hubby :lol:

Seriously, I've had mastiffs before but what in heaven do you have that's 220 lbs.?

17. INTHEBUFF

Better that than to come home and see one of the dogs in the yard tossing something around having just the grandest of times and to find out it's one of these little critters:ack:

18. sus

sus Well-Known Member

Lol I have a Mastiff named Mose

19. INTHEBUFF

Would that be English or Tibetan? I knew they got big but OMG! Ours was a bullmastiff, very gentle and sweet, best guard dog you can have, very observant, never barked, she was all quick/quiet action, the way their breed to be. I'd think she was snoozing while the kids played in the yard, all at once you'd see her spring up and head off anyone/anything that might be a threat to the kids, never barking, just action. Never, ever once had her growl for any reason, but hated a bath with a passion.

20. sus

sus Well-Known Member

English Mastiff.

He is a black Brindle so very dark and hard to see in the dark:lol:
    He is a great dog and like you said very protective. He does like to bark tho if anyone gets to close to the house. He has only gone after someone once and that was when some gentlemen had the wrong house at 11 pm and were trying to force my door open. they changed thier minds with mose in the way.
    But he is a lovable pup:lol: