Moles Moles Moles !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AppleFritters, Apr 9, 2008.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

he has done that a time or two, couldn't figure out if he had a squirrel or a mole....at first I thought it was a rat/mouse....I freaked!!! Eeeekkkk!!

2. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Yes, they are a wonderful breed but have a short life span. Ours lived for eight years, which is old age for them, range of 8-10 yrs. so this time around we thought we'd stick with our bird hunting dogs that have a longer life span. I do miss her very much, she was a wonderful dog.

3. sus

sus Well-Known Member

We are actually considering a second mastiff. Just so he can have someone his size to play with besides the hubby:lol:

4. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

You should get a beagle! They LOVE to chase mole, rabbit, squirrel, and they're scared to death of a beagle! One downside: beagle LOVEs to get dirt on their face/body by digging and diving into the ground. LOL

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'ved used both the tirazicide granules, and the spray that hooks to the hose. The thing to remember is that to actually get rid of the moles you have to break the grub cycle, otherwise all you are doing is wasting money on the chemicals. Which means that you have to reapply atleast as recommended if not slightly more often. And if you have fresh new growing grass that is grub heaven.

Craig

6. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

Apply any season long bug killing granules (w/ grub control) at the beginning of Spring. Personally, I use the Bayer brand. Apply it with a broadcast spreader just prior to a rain. It works up to 6 mos. depending on rainfall. You can also apply Milky Spore, but it will take 4-6 mos for the cultures to replicate enough to manage the grubs. However, once established you won't have to reapply for another 10 years.

Now, the moles will still be around if neighbors don't treat. But if you cut off their food supply, they will go elsewhere.

If you cut off the food supply now, they will leave. They may leave a few trails, but nothing like you would have at the end of the summer.

7. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

How far away do you suppose the neighbors need to be if they don't treat? We had Chem Lawn come and do a 3-year guaranteed grub treatment but we still have a few moles. It cut down on them tremendously though. Our property is about 3 acres and our neighbors are approx 1/2 acre away. Guess I should call Chem Lawn.

Oh yeah, plus our neighbors down the street used Japanese beetle traps last year so we had hardly any. Just FYI, those things are a horrible idea. All you are doing is attracting all of them in the neighborhood.

8. MisunderstoodMind

Basically, you want to cut off the food supply. If there are no grubs in your yard, the moles won't come. Now, you might have a straggler, but if you treat your property with the granules, the grubs will die off. I think each bag runs around $20 at Lowes. Bayer Granules

Oh... it kills Fire Ants, too :)

The best time to use Milky Spore(MS) is early fall. Its effectiveness depends on soil temp. Being spring is here, I'd go the granule route. Treat once, so once the beetles mate, you'll have a larger number to ingest MS. The more eat contaminated soil, the better it works. When fall rolls around, treat your entire property with MS. Thatta way, you'll be ahead of the game next Spring.

Aside from some elbow grease, this shouldn't run over $50-70 (high estimate).

9. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the firsthand info!

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

That's what I do....use the granuales to start with, then as I get tothe point where I start watering my yard I'll buy the liquid hose application just to keep on top of things and I haven't had any issues in the last few years since I started doing this routine. My neighbors hate me though because of it as the moles migrate to their yard.

Craig

11. NanaPam

NanaPam Active Member

Moles

A few years ago we spent a fortune on Milkey Spore and I can't tell if it did a good job. Maybe a little.

If no pets around, use mouse poison pellets. Drop a couple down in the hole or use Juicy Fruit gum. I've heard it kind of stops them up. Walk on the trails. They get tired of rebuilding. I also use the Mole Stop spray from Lowes and it helps with the voles. We live in the woods with very little grass but grubs are not particular.

I want to plant more Hosta but need to deal with the voles. They are a PAIN ! ! ! Moles airate the ground but voles eat the plants.

12. MisunderstoodMind

I opt out of poison pellets due to the cruel death they create. Poisoned moles will bleed through multiple orifices until dead. The effect is similar to Yellow Fever in humans. Personally, I wouldn't want any living creature to experience such pain.

Voles are harder to manage. They feed on foliage, stems, roots, and mainly bulbs. The little varmints will gravitate to "bulb-like" roots. The best management is a barrier. You can bury moth balls 6" deep in a staggered formation for optimal effect.

13. MisunderstoodMind

I worked in a garden center for a few years. I was taught how to "simplify" things. :)

14. MisunderstoodMind

Well, that would be their own fault, eh? Hardee-har-har-har!

15. ws

ws Well-Known Member

per the website:

TREATMENT COVERAGE
    Ready-To-Use sizes:
    10 oz. can treats: 2,500 square feet
    40 oz. can treats: 10,000 square feet
    20 lb. bag treats: 7,000 square feet

so a 40oz can treats more than a 20lb bag?