G105 in trouble AGAIN

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by UWISH, Apr 6, 2008.

1. j*j*s*mom

j*j*s*mom Well-Known Member

I agree, we all know how Bob is with the comments. But he makes fun of everyone and if you don't like it don't listen. Not sure what is so hard to understand about that. I tuned in this am to find they were suspended until Monday, and just plain sucks so far. Will not listen until they come back, because they are already playing the same songs I will hear 100 more times today over and over and over...............

2. sus

sus Well-Known Member

I agree.. I only listen to g105 in the morning when those three are on. Otherwise its to a different station. I don't agree with half of what Bob says but he is funny and NO one is safe from him LOLOL even himself.

3. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

The suspension is a crock of chit......he makes fun of everyone....

I think they need to get over themselves.

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing, only listen to G105 in the mornings on the way to work. Guess I'll be listening to talk radio or something else this week.

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

you people swallow this stuff hook, line, and sinker...

they've perfected the art of this over the course of the last 15 years. they're always getting "suspended" by the gm during a phone call to the studio that goes on the air. things are just not done that way.

this is a marketing ploy that coincides with the beginning of a crucial ratings period. they're on vacation. most radio stations don't allow their full-time talent to take days off during spring and fall ratings periods, so they get it out of the way before it starts.

just my humble opinion, of course

6. j*j*s*mom

if that was the cause, why not run "best of" the way they normally do when the guys are on vacation?:?:

7. dangerboy

would y'all all be in a tizzy posting threads on 4042.com, swearing you won't listen til they come back, buzz buzz buzzing at the water cooler over it if they just ran the "best of"?

and, because it leads into the spring ratings period. advertisers, especially big money national ones, buy advertising based on the spring and fall ratings books.

8. j*j*s*mom

makes sense I guess

9. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

There is noone that supports true Native Americans more than I do, But its just comedy. Had the station just said "we support Bob's right to free speech" it would have been over. The managment of the station needs to "have their backs".

I always tell my employees to come to me and tell me the truth if there is a problem and WE can get through it. If you try to hide it, or lie, I cant help you.

I listen to them in the mornings and am never offended. There are times I say "that was a little too much", but I dont call a lawyer, etc.

Last time I checked, the Lumbee werent real Native Americans. They were desendants of Africans slaves if I remember correctly. I think they were named Lumbee because of the geographic location they lived in wasnt it?

10. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Wonder why they took off the whole show when it was just Bob who made the comments. They could've had a guest host for the two weeks they'll be off.

Hope they're happy that they annoyed 99.9% of their listeners by taking them off the air but cottled .1%.....

I want my BOBcast!

PS Wonder if they get paid for this time off?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Did you catch Dangerboy's post? I think he nailed it! Considering his background I think that added a lot of weight to his opinion.

12. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

This had crossed my mind but since I have absolutely nothing to base it on and no experience in this field I dismissed it. Sounds quite plausible to me.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

14. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. They are a mixture of African, Croatan Indians, and English settlers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  15. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

It also frequently coincides with Bob's contract negotiations. He generates a "buzz" over something he said or did over the air. The folks rally to his defense, allowing him to prove his value to the station, contract gets signed, he gets more money, and all is quiet for another 2-4 years.

The only way to tell if it is contract negotiation time will be after it's done. Someone within the Clear Channel cluster (generally on-air personality) will get fired and replaced by someone cheaper (or a voice tracked jock from out of town) to offset the increase in Bob's salary.

16. Daredevil

I whole heartedly disagree with the people that are saying its about Bob getting money, ratings, vacation,etc. He just came off vacation, why would he wanna go on another? There are FAR more controversial things he can say for attention.

It appears to me to be an attempt by the Lumbee for publicity. Since it appears they have no legitimate claim to be true Native Americans, they have to stir up buzz somehow. Hope it works for them, but I am afraid that the backlash will be more than they can bear. I attempted to go to their site to research it, but it said their bandwidth had been exceeded. So I guess its working, Made me look into it a little deeper.

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

18. dangerboy

those of us who are saying those things that you disagree with are veterans of the local radio market. i have 20 years on the air in this market, lester runs ncradio.net. just so you know we're speaking from experience from inside, and not just throwing it out there as a haphazard theory....

19. Daredevil

I understand you have experience in radio, and likely this does infact happen. But as I said, there are far worse people he could have ticked off. They could have just done something that was stupid, and didnt tick anyone off and still get suspended. I just dont see it in this case. It was just comedy in an era where you cant make a joke about anyone without somebody's panties getting in a bunch (I probably just offended anyone with bunched up panties).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  20. Daredevil