WHAT?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

No, actually I was the one of the few kids who befriended those who others set aside. Your assumptions are SO WAAAAAY off base.

2. Clif

Clif Guest

As is yours.

Which are several more than you.

A conclusion drawn from personal experience and personal knowledge.

As I said, I know many.

You keep saying that as if I had indicated different. You did not say "ALL", you said "MOST", which is less than all but just as wrong.

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

>

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Okay, so is B.E.D the same or different than special ed.? I'm just trying to get a grasp on exactly what group of children you guys are discussing. I actually have a close friend who teaches 5th grade Special Ed and I've had many discussion with her about their problems. I know most of them suffer from low IQ's, learning disabilities, and other various factors. Just tyring to clarify if this is the group you are talking about?

5. Clif

Clif Guest

It is the new terminology, but pretty much the same as "Special Ed."

6. Kiddo_08

Kiddo_08 Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Oh no ... it is just one category of special ed./exceptional children. There are many classifications.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Boy my comment has been overly misinterpreted and twisted. ALL I said is I would question the creditability of some BED students and would not draw judgement of what happened in the classroom based just on that.

NOTE!!!! B.E.D. does NOT mean a child has a learning disability, learning challenged, low IQ, etc... Although some B.E.D. students have other challenges ... BED is a classification of children who have behaviour issues ... some violent. Yes some children have medical issues that lead to this classification and is not something the student has control over without meds, etc... A child who gets this classification as his/her primary disability would not characterize a child who has a learning disability as his/her primary issue in the learning environment ... the behavior issue would be. Some, yes, should not be in that school setting because they do impede on the learning and safety of others. Environment does show as a contributing factor for many of these students.

I taught special needs students for many years and continue to consult for children. I have expectational compassion and a heart for children with diverse learning challenges.

===============
    Some research about BED ...

Risk Factors Contributing to Student Outcomes
    Findings from the current National Longitudinal Transition Study – 2 (NLTS2) suggest that students with EBD differ from the general population of youth in ways other than their disability (Wagner & Cameto, 2004). For example, as compared with the general population of youth, youth with EBD are more likely to live in poverty, have a head of household with no formal education past high school, and live in a single parent household. Nearly 38% of the NLTS-2 sample had been held back a grade, 75% had been suspended or expelled at least once, and about two- thirds were reported to have co-occurring attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Students with EBD also experience greater school mobility than other youth with disabilities; 40% had attended five or more schools since kindergarten. Moving to multiple schools can be considerably disruptive and significantly decrease the chances of continuity across instructional programs.

9. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarification Clif. Then I have to agree with you on the comments about these children. What a terrible thing to say that they don't want to be in school. Jeesh...I have a couple of friends who have special ed children (and it's definitely not from their parenting skills). I find a couple of the remarks folks have made very offensive.

10. Clif

Clif Guest

But they all used to be called "Special Ed" when my kids went to school.

BTW, I noticed in your list that not a single item referred to bad or inept parenting.

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Clif ... ugh! I never said bad parenting causes children to be in special education...now you are really stetching! This entire thread has been about one very specific classification ... not about all children in exceptional children programs. Yes, children with the specific category of "B.E.D." do tend to come from dysfunctional homes and that environment tends to be a contributing factor with some children labeled B.E.D.

There use to be different terms /lables with special ed (which is no longer used either ... the broad category now is exceptional children)... MR, TMR, EMH, SPH etc... are the terms the were used and have changed over the years. New terms have been added to include even more specific classifications. "Special Education"/Exceptional Children is the umbrella ... the classifications fall under.

:beathorse:

12. noahazark

noahazark Guest

Label B-ED

B-Ed is behavioral emotional diabled-- it is one of the categories that fall under the laws for exceptional children programs- aka special education. There are other groups, such as Learning disabled, mentally handicapped, Other health impaired etc. Special education is a general term with several sub-categories.
    As for knowing several.... I am sure in my long time working with these great kids ( and yes they can be wonderful), my exposure has been more likely to hundreds of them. Unlike the public school teachers, I have access to long family and personal histories of my students. So maybe I do have a closer idea of what is working, or not working with these kids. I did say many.... far too many -- with histories that are all too familiar.
    As for Marilyn.--- I do know her personally. This term is not one that I would have ever connected with her. The "hanging" here amazes me. We are putting her up to the firing squad or hangman before knowing the facts. I expect the same for my students.... know the truth before you condemn them.

13. Donnie

Donnie Guest

Clif who cares what they were called back then. That has nothing to do with what is being talked about or the price of tea in China. We are talking about is what they are called now. B-Ed kids are only one classification they use. It is not the main category these kids are put under.

And you know they would not have a category that listed kids as having bad parents. NCMOM said a lot of them come from bad homes and parents.

14. booboo4042

booboo4042 Guest

It was not a B.E.D. class it was a study hall.

15. Clif

Clif Guest

Then you are a liar...
    (Emphesis mine)

Not that it's any of your business, but apparently Southernborn cared enough to ask.

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

ex·cep·tion·al
    Spelled Pronunciation[ik-sep-shuh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1. forming an exception or rare instance; unusual; extraordinary: The warm weather was exceptional for January.
    2. unusually excellent; superior: an exceptional violinist.
    3. Education. (of a child) a. being intellectually gifted.
    b. being physically or esp. mentally handicapped to an extent that special schooling is required.

So which one is it??? Dern!

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Thanks, Clif. Saved me some typing.

18. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Both.

From what learned, they are so smart they can't control themselves in certain aspects.

Good to see ya back Cleo!:mrgreen: