Ok, Question for Mom's of pre-teen's....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KellBell, May 20, 2008.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

so at what age/when is it ok for a boy and a girl to go to a movie together? and if they do get to go, do they get dropped off? or does Mom or Dad stay and sit on the other side of the theatre?

I have an almost 12 year old asking about when this may be an option.....

:confused:

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

When did your parents let you?

3. KellBell

7th grade for me, which is kinda what I am sticking to for mine too....am I being a geeky Mom? LOL.....don't answer that.

4. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

I would say 12 / 13. It also depends on the maturity level of the child of course and whatever YOU feel comfortable with. Also, if the girl is you know....ummmm, fast. LOL

5. Grammie

Grammie Guest

I'd stick with that, no you are not being geeky. One thing though DON'T go sit in the theater. :lol:

6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

It is whatever YOU feel comfortable w/ as a parent. At 12/ 13yo, we were allowed to go in groups to the theater w/ boys and girls. All depends on the child. I have some preteens too. 12yo girl, 13yo boy, and 15yo girl. None have dated by themselves as of yet. I'd let my 15 yo go if she ever wanted to (though my husband would NOT--LOL). She's not ready yet though and that is totally fine w/ us. She does hang out w/ friends and they'll be boys and girls at the houses. But parents are usually not too far. It's a tough one. You know your daughter's maturity best of all. I'm going nuts over the driving issue! Yikes. Can't imagine all of mine dating. --I think I'd have to move out. I wouldn't be able to take it--LOL.

Oh, just remember, you not only have to worry about your duaghter's maturity, but that also of the other party. Will the boy be "too mature" or not do the right thing? All kinds of what ifs. Tough and I'm right there w/ you! Can't wait to hear what others have to say on this issue.

Good luck.

Stephanie--mom to 7

7. michellegrl77

michellegrl77 Well-Known Member

hummm well concidering My DH and I took my ds to see Iron Man Friday night and I saw about 6 teenagers standing in the lobby at the bathrooms and near the video games "all over each other" I would probably have to say 21. LOL just kidding. but i think 12/13 is a good age. The first few times I would prob hang out maybe even go see another movie but not let them know just to see what goes on. Then if you are happy with that I would maybe do drop off and pick up.

8. Clif

Clif Guest

Actually I disagree with that. For the first few dates, it's completely acceptable to sit in the same theatre (but give them space, after all, it is their "date"). That way both of you have a certain amount of comfort level.

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Kell,

I started dating when I was thirteen. I let my daughter start at twelve. Meet the other one's parents and the kid at the same time. I still tell mine that the earlier movies are cheaper. We took turns taking them to the movies, went into the same movie but sat across the room. As she got older I and/or other parents went but saw another movie to give them some space. At that age I let them visit in her bedroom with the door open. They usually played foosball (sp), watched TV or something. I asked the very first boy what his intentions were with my daughter. He looked like a deer caught in headlights. My daughter told him I was joking but deep down inside I was not. I called after they were out of the room and told his parents, who laughed so hard I had to move the ear piece. They thanked me for breaking him in.

Just my opinion.

Sherry

10. KellBell

I have boys just for the record (thank you God).

:mrgreen:

11. KellBell

thats what I am thinking, I am going to be there....for the first few times.
    Gosh....this is hard stuff!!!

12. Clif

Clif Guest

Just remember, no flash photography in the threatre.

It may be hard, but the rewards are worth it in the end. :)

13. Grammie

Grammie Guest

In another thread I said I was over protective, my daughter didn't date till she was 16 and no license till 18.

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Oh, you are not out of the woods, honey. As a parent of a girl I expect the boy to come to the house and visit with me while my daughter is in her room. I ask him questions and try to let him know that he will be with the most important person in my life and he better treat her good. I do that with a little humor. I do expect the boy to be dressed nicely, jeans (that fit) and a shirt. Sure they can have a tee shirt on but not one that says "Rehab is for quitters".

Now that she is dating boys who I drive I really give them the third degree about drinking and driving, etc.

A friend called me recently because her son was pressing his jeans before going to meet a girl's parents and my friend asked me if this was what girls parents do. I told her, yes. I told her that when her sixth grade daughter got a little older she would do the same. I was glad to know that I am not the only parent still doing these things. The boy must always come to the door and my daughter is never allowed to run to the door and escape (her words). I must answer the door and invite him in, she can then leave after I have seen his eyes. Same when coming home, must walk her to the door.

Forgot to tell you above, my daughter usually offers to go dutch treat. Especially in the beginning. If the boy wants to pay she says how about you pay for the tickets and I'll pay for the food. We figure it's not fair that the male has to pay all of the time.

Sherry

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

When they are 30! :mrgreen:

16. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

Had this discussion with 12 yo ds last night as well. and a fabulous friend this morning! ;) some little girl has asked my angel out! i will be the crazy stalker mama for sure! LOL!

17. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Same here...I will be the crazy mom in the corner watching my boys. All the little girls will hate me, cause I am over protecting of my two boys....I think 12/13 is still too young. Each their own, but I don't want to be a Grandma for many, many ,many ,many years!

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I personally do not encourage "dating" for my 13 YO. I think 12/13/14 is OK for group (girl/boy) outings with a chaperone and at 15/16 we will discuss the real thing. And the rules are going to be different for my girls, I have not determined them yet - but they will be different.

19. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

My son will be 13 in June. He is allowed to go to a female friends house to hang out (of course with her parents there) and she is allowed to do the same at our house. As far as going out, I go as well. I will give them their space, but at the same time watch out for them. I realize they may not like it, but it is the only choice I give them. Now, don't get me wrong, I trust them both, but they are teenagers and lord knows how they think sometimes. With that being said, I do not trust everyone else that is out there, and at 12-13 they are still too young to be tossed into the world of older teens and adults by themselves. Because as we all know, in their minds they can handle anything. There are too many perves that prey on kids this age, they sit, watch the parents drive off, and then make their move.

20. KellBell

good thing my camera phone has no flash :p