Missing child!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Chimp, May 18, 2008.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The police chief said no charges would be filed until the investigation is complete. I don't take that to mean they will not charge her, but that it is still under investigation.

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

From WRAL:
    Police: 3-year-old was never missing

[​IMG]
    Posted: Today at 11:00 a.m.
    Updated: 57 minutes ago
    Smithfield, N.C. — New questions surround the case of a 3-year-old reported missing from a Smithfield flea market, including the child's exact name, after authorities said the child was never missing.

"It did not occur here, and it wasn't as it was originally reported," Chief Steve Gillikin said Tuesday. "So, the child was never in any danger whatsoever."

He was safe with family members Tuesday morning, although Gillikin said he was not sure with whom.

"The child was never at the flea market. We know that for a fact," he added. "The child was never here in Smithfield during the incident."

Gillikin declined to elaborate further about the case, saying only that the joint investigation with the FBI is ongoing.

State authorities issued an Amber Alert for the child on Sunday after a woman identified as his mother, Rosnah Thomason, reported him missing from Brightleaf Flea Market. She said she had been putting produce in her car and when she looked up, he was gone.

The Amber Alert was canceled at 12:27 a.m. Tuesday after the boy was found. Gillikin said it was not until midnight that investigators started to realize the case was not as it seemed.

The 911 call, released Monday evening, he said was the only part of the story investigators have been able to determine to have happened in Smithfield.

Authorities are also questioning the child's exact name and who his biological parents are.

"There's people involved in this – we don't know, at this particular point, what the relationships are," Gillikin said. "There is a father somewhere. There is a mother somewhere, and that' going to be part of the ongoing investigation.

3. Clif

Clif Guest

In spite of what y'all may believe, I really do hate to beat on this dead horse, but I've seen a lot of the news articles now, and a lot of them say the same thing that kdc1970 posted. Pretty much all saying in one way or another, "Police chief calls it a 'hoax'."

What is suspiciously missing from all the news articles is something akin to:

Smithfield Police Chief Steve Gillikin said, "The child is safe, it was all a hoax."

This is what I don't understand and find it a bit fishy. All the media are saying that Chief Gillikin called it a hoax, but no direct quote to that effect.

Don't you think that's a bit odd?

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad to hear the little boy is OK!!! I too am upset with this woman whoever she is...ya know...on my way home last night from work, I called the sheriff's department because I saw a toddler shoe on the side of the road down here on Blount St. I debated wether or not I should call the sheriff's office because it could be nothing...then I thought about my own 3 year old and I called. God forbid if anything like that ever happened to him I would want every possible lead chased down!!!

Now to find out he was never taken or disappeared...wether it is a hoax a scam...who cares, the law will take care of this person, I am just THRILLED this little boy is OK!!!

5. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

Clif, you can see him say it for yourself, Kellbell was mistaken, the reporter asked if it was a hoax or misunderstanding and he said it was not a misunderstanding it was a hoax. Go to this link and then click the web only news conference. I just watched the whole thing again. It's about 6 1/2 minutes in when he says it.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/2913894/

6. Clif

Clif Guest

I can't view videos at work.

7. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

Clif, stop it and give me a hug, :jester::jester::jester:

8. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

doesn't mean it's not there

9. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

he's gettin your goat and your lettin him, let me just sit back or "ray down" :popcorn:

10. Clif

Clif Guest

I didn't say it wasn't there. All I'm saying is that all the articles out there and they all say the police chief is calling it a "hoax", but not a single news article that actually has the quote from the police chief where he did call it a hoax (except, of course, for the one I can't see at work).

And y'all don't find this in the least bit curious?

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, since I am not senile yet.............I guess you'll just have to take my word for it! :cheers:

12. Clif

Clif Guest

I never said I didn't. I'm just saying it's odd that I have to.

13. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

Oh my heavens....no I don't find it odd since I heard it come from Chief Gillikin's lips...I gave you the direct quote...you just choose to ingore the facts.

"It wasn't a misunderstanding," Smithfield police Chief Steve Gillikin said, making that clear. "I think [it was a] hoax -- without going into too many details. It probably would not be wise to comment on what the plan was yet."

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

because he didnt. not in the context in which the MEDIA is saying....

I have just listened to the news conference again and this is EXACTLY what was said....

reporter (female): "Can you classify this as hoax? a misunderstanding?"

Sheriff GIillikin: "It wasn't a misunderstanding.....I guess hoax....without going into details would not be wise....I don't know at this point"

15. Grammie

Grammie Guest

This story reminds me of a CSI show. Woman kills her child snaps while in a park one day she yells "her son has been kidnapped." This one has a happy ending though. CSI, she was locked up as a nut.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

No offense, but why the 7734 should I believe you? Just who the 7734 are you anyway?

17. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

18. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

he will wear you out......

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: and I was thinking :beathorse:

20. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

uuummmmhummmmm.....