Clayton Bypass

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, May 28, 2008.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

anyone have an offical date of when the bypass will open? I heard July 15th, June 1st, June 15th etc...any info would help. Thanks

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I heard on the news this past weekend, July 1.

3. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

I was told by a District Engineer with NC DOT- May 30th.

4. mike79

mike79 Active Member

About 6 months ago but you can only use it at night with your headlights off.

5. geekgirlie

geekgirlie Member

6. kidsfly

Yes, but that's regarding I-540. I thought the question was referring to the 70 Bypass.

7. wreckinstuff

wreckinstuff Well-Known Member

8. Gogetter

Gogetter Guest

I'm new to the area and just starting checking out this website. I'm amazed how much info you guys give via this discussion board. Thanks for all the postings about the construction going on. Being new, it helps to know what's coming and when.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Welcome aboard. Sit back, relax and have fun, we are a friendly group for the most part. Just don't take any of us too seriously!

10. kidsfly

Guess I don't know how to read the website, I'm not seeing an opening date. Estimated date of completion is June 2009, but it's been in the news many a time that the 70 Bypass was going to be completed way ahead of schedule and for a lot less money than originally estimated. Too bad they couldn't take that excess $$ and apply it towards widening hwy 42.

I see roads paved, lines painted, and it looks real close to me. (But I'm no engineer! :lol:)

Liked Mike's suggestion of it being open at night with no headlights. Funny! :jester:

And welcome GoGetter, although I don't feel that I'm enough of a regular to be part of an official welcoming committee! Perhaps I'm getting there! :mrgreen:

11. Gogetter

Gogetter Guest

Thanks - I have really enjoyed the people around this area. Very different from NJ. But before you judge me as a northern transplant, let it be known I am originally from SC. I just get relocated every so often. We are hoping this is our last stop.

12. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

I think about that everytime I drive over it. :lol:

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

WRAL announced this morning that the state was hosting a media tour of the Clayton bypass today and it was scheduled to open on July 1, 2008. I am confident there will be video on WRAL at noon or 5:00 PM today of the media tour.

14. mike79

mike79 Active Member

15. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

They were picking up the orange barrels on I-40 east bound this morning.

16. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Hehehe

I rode four wheelers all up and down I-40 while it was under construction back in the early 90's That was a hoot getting run off of a HUGE clay road by DOT workers. :jester:

17. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

The target date for opening the bypass is June 9. This is a tentative date and is dependent upon several uncontrollable factors primarily weather. We are optimistic that this date will be meet and look forward to the opening.
    Thanks,
    Corey D. McLamb, PE
    Resident Engineer
    Clayton Bypass

18. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

Woohooo!!!! Faster drive to/from work for me! No Clayton stoplights. Yay!
    Er, um, I mean...June 9, you say? That sounds nice.

P.S. Please don't widen 42; my back yard is small enough as it is! TY

19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The Herald reports that it will open next week. Monday the 9th to be exact.

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/cross...der_sooner_or_later_in_3&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

When the state Board of Transportation updates its roadbuilding plans for the next seven years today, the new schedule will include improvements to reduce daily backups on three stretches of Interstate 40 as it passes through the Triangle.
    The 2009-2015 State Transportation Improvement Program was issued in draft form last winter. The final version will include schedules for:

[More:]
    - Widening I-40 between Wade Avenue and U.S. 1 in west Raleigh from four lanes to six lanes. This work will ease the Triangle's worst freeway bottleneck. The draft 2009-2015 plan calls for construction to begin in fiscal year 2010; we'll se whether that date holds when the final plan is released Wednesday.
    - Adding a second exit lane from southbound I-540 to westbound I-40 in eastern Durham County near Research Triangle Park, and an extra outer lane on westbound I-40 from there to Page Road and Miami Boulevard. Draft plan: construction to start in 2010.
    - Starting the planning (but not construction, yet) to widen I-40 from the Raleigh Beltline through southeastern Wake County to N.C. 42 in Johnston County.
    The need to improve this part of I-40 will become painfully obvious next Tuesday when NCDOT opens the U.S. 70 Clayton Bypass, a new freeway that will pour thousands of new cars and trucks into the daily crush-hour jam on a four-mile, four-lane stretch of I-40 southeast of the old U.S. 70 interchange in southern Wake County.

Duh - we coulda told em that to begin with!!! :?