Clayton Bypass

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, May 28, 2008.

1. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Who what??? Can't do it all???? :jester::jester:

Should be interesting to see how things will be tomorrow morning!!!

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I know its hard...I have twins and work too....I didn't see it on the .com, I heard it on the radio....a gazillion times this morning too....sorry you missed it! drive it home today! :mrgreen:

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I read somewhere, maybe the WRAL story, that there would be a ribbon cutting ceremony at 10:00 am and it would open after that.

4. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Forget TV, Newspapers and Radio. Pooh Bear post on Saturday clearly indicates bypass to open after the ribbon cutting ceremonies. Thats how I knew the bypass would open after the ribbon cutting. All the politicians had to have their 15 minutes of tV coverage first.

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I don't think they hardly ever open a road for the morning commute. I 540 was that way too. I think it is so someting does not go wrong, they have the day to work it out before the pm commute. And the politicians do get to have their faces on tv.

As far as a bottle neck, I still think there will be one from the beltline down to the new 70 by pass on I 40. Now it almost always eases up at the 40/70 split at white oak. Hope i am wrong. I usually drive 50 now anyways.

6. Hoof-Hearted

Hoof-Hearted Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.
    Yes they can get mean sometimes. Don't take it to heart though.
    They just like to get their frustration out sometimes here.
    And it is actualy funny at times. The comments that comes out of peoples fingers would not in most part come out of their mouths.

7. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

Woohooo! 70mph and NO stoplights! Johnston Co. is growing up and joining the 21st century.

8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

If you are going 70 mph tomorrow morning during peak traffic you are going to be in deep dodo at I-40. But it is a great highway.

9. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

from what i heard, it is a nice road do be doing 150+ on

10. LJN

LJN Well-Known Member

OK. So I rode it home last night and in to work this morning. Great road! Hardly anyone on it...yet. Coming home last night...slow down before the exit...seemed as if people didn't quite understand how to get off of 40 and merge onto the exit. It is a HUGE exit with plenty of space so hopefully people won't be timid about it for long. Coming in this morning...definitely disappointed in the back up as soon as you get off of the bypass onto 40. But it was pretty much par for the course.

11. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Same here!!! Great going home last night!!! Still have to go the old way though when my boys are in daycare though :?

This morning it was a bit slow but I guess that will be the new norm from now one.:neutral:

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Well i for one, as someone who takes 40 from 312 everyday, am hating it - where 70 merges into 40 is a total horror!!!! The drive from 312 to 308 used to be the easiest part of my commute and now it is stop and go the whole way:twisted: Gonna add about 15 minutes to my commute to Raleigh unless something changes.

13. KellBell

'your horror' has just been moved up a few miles and will be on the way there instead of the way home. I for one am just thrilled.....:banghead:

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I remember when 40 used to be that way..........ahhh, the good old days :-D

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

But i am not a morning person at all, always in a hurry to get to work in the am:lol:

16. whats4dessert

whats4dessert Member

15 extra min for me this morning and backed up before 312:x Still when I got to the other part of 70 around white oak it was still as crowded as always and got to ride my breaks once again. Who exactly does this help, those coming from Smithfield? Thanks once again for another bottleneck ncdot.

17. Congestion marks bypass' morning debut

http://wral.com/news/state/story/3018932/

CLAYTON, N.C. — Drivers using the new Johnston County bypass hit some heavy congestion Tuesday morning during their commute.

“As the DOT (Department of Transportation) warned, we’re seeing significant delays this morning on Interstate-40 West as people approach the new 70 Bypass merge,” WRAL traffic reporter Brian Shrader said.

The delays continued through 8:30 a.m. and drivers averaged speeds of about 30 mph at one point.

“We’re seeing very slow traffic out there,” Shrader said.

Westbound delays began just past Highway 42 and continued beyond the bypass.

“I’m sure that a lot of people who come in from Johnston County are saying, ‘This is progress?’” Shrader said. “The DOT warned us that we’d see some additional congestion.”

The $123 million bypass opened Monday and was expected to speed thousands of vehicles a day around the town of Clayton.

Department of Transportation spokeswoman Amanda Perry said the nearly 11-mile bypass is expected to carry 85,000 cars a day by 2025.

The road links Interstate 40 to U.S. 70 just west of Smithfield. Motorists who currently take U.S. 70 can expect to save about 15 minutes of travel time by using the new bypass, officials said.

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I can't complain about it yet. I took it home yesterday afternoon, and there was a dumptruck and emergency vehicles on 40 around mile marker 307...so that was backed up getting to the new 70 Bypass. But once I got on that, it was sweet to 42. The water that is on the right just before getting to 42, is that part of Austin Pond?

19. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

I think it is part of Austin Pond. It is some pretty country down through there. I for one didn't like the idea of the new bypass because it is just going to cause more building and more congestion. I was lucky enough to use it yesterday afternoon before the rush hour traffic. Now I won't have to go through the traffic lights that will probably be installed at the new Wal-Mart.

20. KellBell

nice!!! we spent all that money for more traffic!!! I love it!!! :ack: