Swimming programs in Johnston County for 3 yr old?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Angeliquestarsmommy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  2. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I don't even know if we have a pool?

I heard they were thinking of building a whole aquatic center somewhere near smithfield? No? Yes?

3. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

4. ....

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

They offer them at Rex Wellness at White Oak, but according to their website, you might be too late. It's hard to read their schedule though, so I'd call them if I were you. They have them starting at 3, and younger for parent and tot classes. 661-6100 for the Garner office.

6. ...

7. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

the only other thing I can recommend is because of your schedule, you should try to find a swim program that takes place on a Sat. There are several places that do that but of course you would have to commit to about 6 weeks of Sats. That's really your best option considering how far away you work from home. I did find one swim club in Garner called Edgebrook swim club. They offer swimming lessons M-F for 2 weeks and they have lessons starting at 7pm. I would rather do that and get them over with versus having to commit to several Sats in a row. I am thinking of signing up my 6 yr old. I just want to check out the place first and make sure I like it.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

9. NOT trying to be a debbie downer, lol

10. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Not johnston County but very close to being in Johnston County! Rex Wellness center at White Oak/Garner offers swimming lessons.

11. pbarefoot

I just called Campbell and they still have most night classes open. I'm going to sign up for one because last year my son didn't learn to swim and I'm hoping this program will work. I've heard from my neighbor that this is a very good program and her boys learned to swim at Campbell. If anyone is interested in car pooling, please let me know. I am going to post a separate thread to see if anyone wants to carpool.

12. pbarefoot

Edgebrook Swim Club
    (919) 772-8134 - 1503 Kenbrook Dr, Garner, NC

Would you be interested in carpooling with me to campbell? i'm going to do the night lessons, so that may work for you. Let me know. I submitted a separate thread on here looking for someone wanting to carpool with me. see details on that post.

13. ,,,,

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

see my suggestion....:mrgreen:

15. pbarefoot

What about swim classes at Campbell (can you tell i want to find someone to carpool with). Their classes are M-TH for 2 weeks. you could drive one week, I drive the other. They have classes as late as 7pm.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

You could go with private swim lessons. Ann Stephenson has been doing them for years and is awesome - a lot of folks on here have recommended her over the years. She has her own inground pool and is a certified swim instructor. She is located near McGees Xroads. Her number is 639-7076.

17. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Well-Known Member

HealthQuest in Smithfield, across from the hospital, behind the State Employees Credit Union. They offer swim classes, year round swim club, and a summer swim club. If you are available, go check out the swim club and if possible bring your child on Saturday morning from 9-10 and let child check out the place. You can meet the swim club coach, however, he does work one on one also with the little ones of course. You could probably get more carpoolers going to this location.

I also have a five year old, and from what I have seen, I would recommend the swim club verses a swim lesson because the child is around children the same age that are not afraid of the water and screaming for their parents. The coach is very patient and very good with the little ones and makes the experience more fun. The coach teaches swimming techniques verses splashing through the water.

Also, the next swim meet at HealthQuest is on July 1st at 6:00 pm. If possible bring your child and let him/her see other children around the age of 4 compete.

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yes, right by the HS and Parks/Rec. Might be done by now.

19. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Edgebrook???

I just found this old thread, and am looking for swim lessons for my 2 boys, ages 4 & 7. Anyone know anything or have been to Edgebrook Swim Club? I'm not even sure exactly where it is, other than in Garner.

20. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

Don't know about Edgebrook, but I would highly recommend Healthquest in Smithfield. I have done both Healthquest and Rex. Rex is closer but has bigger classes. Healthquest was great!! I will go there again this year!