HARVEY'S ALTERNATE POWER(FUEL) THREAD

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Yes, we have, but you would/could not understand the simple physics. The motors have to use electrical energy to turn the generator, because there is more resistence than turning the wheels without the generator attached. This means it takes energy to turn the generator. The generator does not produce the same amount of energy because there is loss due to friction and the production of heat energy. Thus, just within that loop there is an energy loss. Now, when you factor in the massive, in comparison, amount of energy it will take to move the vehicleon the level you will have a signifcant energy short fall from what the gnerators produce over what is required to operate the motors. The battery will be drained even faster than is would have been just using the battery without the addition of the generators because they lost even more energy than operating the vehicle without them.

2. Wayne Stollings

We are fortunate that is not the case with the IT industry I suppose.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Some big, rich oil dude was on Good Morning America this morning. I only caught a bit of it, but he said the energy crisis will be best solved by the short term use of natural gas which is in abundance in the US/North America and for the long term he said that the most viable energy source is.....drum roll please.....

WIND! Having studied wetaher and climate I took away the fact that the US has some of the most active and sustained weather on the planet, which in the oil dude's words "makes us the Suadi Arabia of wind".

Don't know much about the natural gas thing. I assume you can run vehicles on it becuase I think I have seen them. I guess it would be more volatile and hard to distribute due to the lack of infrastructure, not to mention vehicles.

4. Wayne Stollings

No, all we need to do is put it in a jar ..... I believe it will work so it must work, right?

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

You know what, I am not Clif. You better back up that statement. Don't make yourself out to be something you aren't. I have the credentials to back up my jargain. Talking smack is one thing...Being an ******* is another.

Furthermore...You eluded to Watts in your previous post and that is why I brought up OHM's law. If you knew about electricity or circuits in general you would know the conversion tables. Then how to convert voltage into Watts.

6. ServerSnapper

Asking because I simply don't know..What is the difference in Propane and Natural Gas?

7. Wayne Stollings

Propane is a larger molecule containing the carbon atoms and eight hydrogen atoms. Natural gas is primarily methane which is the smallest stable organic molecule containing one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Being a larger molecule it is easier to keep the propane in a liquid state, whcih much like gasoline is not flammable, but the vapor released by the liquid is. The standard internal combustion engine can be converted to run on either fuel, or hydrogen for that matter, fairly easily.

Think of the ether vapor used in starting fluid and how the engine will run on that, the methane, propane and hydrogen will burn in a similar fashion.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Although a month ago it was a side business for his strategic plan to control Fresh Water in Texas, Boone Pickens is going after wind and gas (kind of go together).
    http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalc...oone-the-oilman-ups-the-ante-in-his-wind-bet/

9. ServerSnapper

So we could run Natural Gas but with different injection systems like you can Propane? I know I had a choice of Natural gas or a propane fitting when I put my grill in.

10. Wayne Stollings

Yes, that would be a very similar comparison. The jets of the stoves are different because the gases burn differently.

11. ServerSnapper

So maybe he's on to something

12. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Based on the high cost of natural gas now, how is using another expensive type of fuel going to help us?

13. Wayne Stollings

I believe his goal is to have A fuel supply in the short term, as opposed to no fuel supply when the oil reserves are too expensive for a fuel. I do not think we will be seeing a cheap fuel source for quite some time if at all.

14. Wayne Stollings

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I saw a Boone Pickens advertisement on Headline News this morning. It was paid for by him and he is not running for anything. It was a good length too so I am sure it wasn't cheap. It stated some figures on our dependence on foreign oil, then spoke about wind and gas and then he came on and said he has a plan that he will be making clear within the nextcouple of weeks.

I am always skeptical. I am sure he has a hidden agenda, but on any level it is admirable to spend your own money to solve a national problem.

16. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I've heard a little bit about this, too. I doubt his motives are altruistic, but I don't care how much money he makes off it if it gets us closer to energy independence and uses renewable resources.

17. ServerSnapper

It's not outrageous just unrealistic! Get it straight sister!

18. ServerSnapper

Take it easy Chewey!

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member