Cleveland High vs. Corinth-Holder High

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

2. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

I don't know about numbers, but I will tell you that people have been riding the bus from Corinth Holders to Smithfield-Selma for a long time, and this should have been done a long time ago. A lot of kids have been on the bus for that 20-30 mile trip!

3. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

yep I can also tell you that we have 3 elementary, 2 middle schools, not sure what Cornith has and no high school. All of our kids are shipped somewhere else.. So yes we need this high school badly!

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It's a life skill. They need to be prepared for the I-40 commute when they enter the job world.

I had the same reaction though. It seems the growth and the projected future growth in Cleveland would make this decision the other way around.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

What's to be irked about? The schools need to be built and one of them has to come first.

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

so they decided to make sure at least one of them was fully funded when it turned out that they were both short. keeps things in motion, i guess. at least one is being built instead of both being on hold, right? to get more money they'll pimp the fact that both schools are short on funding even though on paper it's only one of them

7. mom2two

mom2two Well-Known Member

School is needed in that area just as bad too. I think it was first to be build before the Cleveland one, so it would make sense that they get the money first. I guess that's why they did it. SSS comment not needed though. If anything, they would want the kids in that area to continue going to SSS. Going to be relief on SSS and especially Clayton.

8. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

funny a lot of folks feel the same about WJH always coming first -- its all relative -- there is no doubt that western Jo Co is growing -- but growth is not exclusive to that area -- CHS is land locked no place to expand further and is still over capacity after the addition of the ninth grade building; as stated earlier, some of the Corinth kids spend more than 30 mins on a one way commute to Triple S --Triple S is bursting at the seams -- the Applewhite High School was first in the plans -- both the board and the commissioners made a good faith effort to make both HS happen who could have foreseen fuel and materials skyrocketing in costs at the unprecedented rate they have --

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  9. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

I would be willing to pay higher taxes if it means my kids won't be in a tremendously overcrowded high school. However, I would not be willing to pay higher taxes to have schools built if they are frivously spending money on luxury model high schools, as Wake County did, so I really hope they are serious about looking to see where costs can be trimmed. I also agree that the numbers need to determine which school gets built first, not who has had to wait the longest. Look at raw, current numbers, as well as projected numbers over the next several years and let that decide. I have no idea which one would come first. If the population keeps growing in the west with no new school, I would think that there will have to be serious redistricting going on to accomodate the kids soon, and that probably won't make anyone very happy. Surely they can find a way...What investment is more important, really?

10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Good decision I think by the school board. Another reason why we are better than Wake.

11. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

you are so right. i remember all of this. what year were you at sjhs? your remarks about sss are right on the money!

12. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Please don't jump to conclusions about what I own/pay as far as taxes go. If the schools need to be built, then they need to be built. We all benefit from the kids having a safe and decent place to learn. Schools are often used for community meetings and activities. The children that are taught in them often grow up to contribute back to the community in many ways. I don't want to pay taxes for frivolous, unnecessary upgrades in a new school, but I don't mind paying for what is needed to give the kids what they need to succeed, and it sounds like what they need is more schools. I just want them to be fair about which one gets built first. Whichever community has the greater need as far as the data can show should get the first school, but they also need to provide the other community with more classrooms, I don't particularly care how. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those...:lol:

13. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Damn, you're old. I was born in 1977.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Now I feel old. :?

15. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'm just picking on PRM, you're not old!

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I know, I know, LOL. I'm just feeling old lately. :lol:

17. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

I have a daughter at West and we have lived here for almost 3 years. My property taxes have went up every year since we moved from Charlotte. The taxes there are lower in that area than here. Honestly when they build a school here its a capacity before its even finished. I still same the same thing build the schools up instead of out. Schools in Charlotte took less land because they built stories. If they would buy land and built a school with 4 stories instead of laying it out like a shopping mall they would have enough space for the kids

I am glad the bond didn't pass there are better solutions to overcrowding than the choices there giving the community.

I believe year round is one way to deal with this overcrowding. Although many are against it I believe there would be enough parents that this would be an ideal situation for them.

I am sure there are others but right now I am having a brain fart so I will think about this some more later
    twitch

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The school board will not even discuss year round, they know the majority of their residents are against it. Hmm. That's ONE thing they have done for us. :)

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

This has been debated on here many times. There is no easy answer to fix the over-crowding. Besides - look at all the trouble Wake county has had with yr round schools. :lol:

20. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

The idea of multiple levels sounds interesting and makes sense to me. Does anyone know if this has ever been discussed by the school board?