Cleveland High vs. Corinth-Holder High

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Sch board, not sure. But on here most of the negative reasons were safety (elem sch), 'wasted' space for stairwells, have to provide elevators too for handicapp access and there are other costs. Most of the high schools in the area are already 2 levels.

2. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Ahhh...I see. Thanks for answering. I am only getting into the school system in 2010 :lol:

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

This will be our last year! :hurray: :hurray:

4. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

I would never be for year round schools but my neighbors love the idea of it for there kids.

Most of the time when schools are multi leveled the older kids are on the upper levels. The handicap children were on the first level. As far as stairs being wasted space its no more wasted space as the trailers sitting behind every school because there filled to capacity before the first bell ever rings on the first day of school.

I thought we were talking about high schools anyway. If the county knows a school is at capacity when its being built why not add another level. So instead of two levels how about four levels.

twitch

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My guesses - Evacuation issues, insurance issues, inadeqate firefighting equipment, that many floors requires an elavator, steel costs, just to name a few.

6. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

Great point! :lol:

7. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

This must be a NC thing because both of the high schools I went to in AZ had 3 and 4 level buildings and it never seemed to a problem nor did we have trailers anywhere on the property.

8. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Clayton High is 3 levels. So I don't see the difference! The old elementary school that is now the Art Center in Clayton was also 3 or 4 levels. Not sure why now its such a big issue?

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, is probably the reason why. The Clayton Center predated that (as far as being a building) and has elevators. Also steel was relatively cheap until about 5 years ago.

10. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

I believe it is more of an issue of being able to safely evacuate the building -- the stair wells in the older part of Clayton High are narrow -- but I believe it is a statewide issue and centers on evacuation safety