What was that driver thinking???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jul 24, 2008.

1. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I use to drive mine every year. One is in 3rd and one is in 5th. I'm a mom just like you. I ask all the "what ifs".... now that my hours have changed at work, DH sticks around before he has to go to work, just to make sure they get on. My oldest asked when they could stay out there by themselves so we could go on to work. I told him NEVER!!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I drove my son to and from school every day til he was in second grade. That year, he started riding the bus home in the afternoon. Last year (3rd) I let him ride to school as well. I had an issue last year with the bus driver taking it upon herself to change the route, forcing my son to cross a busy road to get home. I was not informed of this decision until after the change was made. I was LIVID, because I didn't find out til I was BEHIND his bus as he gets off on the "wrong" side of the road. I complained, loudly and quickly and as it turns out, the bus driver did NOT go through proper channels. :evil:

I have the utmost respect for bus drivers, as my own grandmother did it for years and years. But some of these folks have no business being in charge of other people's kids in any capacity.

3. Desdemona25

Desdemona25 Well-Known Member

:shock:

That's insanity! I would have been livid too.

4. Desdemona25

Desdemona25 Well-Known Member

I'd be the same way, especially because we're the only ones at our stop. If my work hours were different, I wouldn't mind driving my daughter. Her school and my work are nearby one another--unfortunately the office doesn't open until over an hour after she has to be there. I'm not allowed to come in early.

Don't even get me started on the car line at her school.

I think there are times that she's intentionally moved slowly in the mornings so that I end up having to take her. :banghead:

5. 3Cs&Me

3Cs&Me Guest

This is yet another reason why my two girlies will never ride the school bus. My husband takes issue with my stand against this, but it's firm. I ain't budgin'.
    The buses come into our neighborhood WAY too early for my taste anyway - there's no way I would put my children on the bus for over an hour when I can drive them to school in 15 minutes. IMHO ;)

6. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My hubby didn't understand me either...My son didn't even ride it home until second grade. I just couldn't imagine my 5 yo on the bus with 5th graders. He argued that we both rode it to and from school from K on. But we both grew up in the country, he graduated from a class of 30, and me a class of 60. Everyone knew everyone, and that's just the way it was. The school was so far away, EVERYONE rode the bus, all parents worked. It was just different. I live 5 minutes away, and I stay home. And a lot of things go on at school and on the bus now that didn't back then, so as long as I can drive him to school I will. Even last night, he was saying, "Oh, people always have something to complain about", when we were discussing this story. But when I said, what if it were our 6 yo dropped off the side of the road? That shut him up, I made my point.