Wake County Issue but...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by wolfcub, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, Food Lion/Lowes - pretty much all of them. Just make sure it is Minute Maid Fruit Falls.. otherwise you are getting sugar!! Once I goofed and bought Capri Sun Roarin Rapids.

2. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

Again, it is not a metter of them not providing the soy milk it is why should I have to pay for milk my child cannot drink??

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Are they offering your child an alternative such as juice? I thought I read where you said they offered grape juice, but your child didn't like it.

4. wolfcub

yes they did and he does not like it so we would rather continue sending his milk with him because like some of the others here we are not a fan of giving our son jiuce everyday. The issue I have is that we pay for milk as part of the lunch and they are not willing to deduct the price of the milk which he cannot drink from the price of the lunch so we are paying for something he does not get.

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I really do see your point, but I think the issue here is that they do indeed offer him an alternative. It's not the schools fault that he doesn't like grape juice.
    My daughter doesn't like white or chocolate milk, she'll usually only drink it when it has strawberry flavoring, but that doesn't mean that because she doesn't like the choices she's given, that she's entitiled to a reduction. Imagine the chaos if every child who didn't like something on their lunch tray wanted a reduction or refund.

I really do see where you're coming from, but I would side with the school on this one since they do offer an alternative to the milk.

6. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

My friend has a daughter who has the same as your son.

She packs her lunch everyday because she's fearful that her child might get something that has milk product in it.

I know you wont be able to get a sub for the milk but I do however think you should at least not have to pay for it. Maybe the school can cut you a check or something at the end of the year.

7. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Well, my kids don't like the food at their schol,so I fix their lunch for them.
    Simple Solution!! :)

8. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

You can pay for the lunch items individually, but it ends up costing more than the meal price.

9. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

My daughter attends Polenta and she does not drink milk. No allergy or anything but stopped drinking milk at age 2 and will not drink it for anything now. Flavored milk - it does not matter - she does not drink it.
    When she started kindergarten and bought lunch in the cafeteria a lot, she was told that she HAD to take a milk. Even if she just threw it in the trash unopened, she had to take it and she was given no alternatives ( juice ). I don't know if it would have made a difference if she'd had a documented allergy or if I'd gone up there and made a fuss but this is what happend with her. The real kicker came when she asked if she could just get a cup instead so that she could get water from the water fountain at lunch - she was told that she would have to pay extra for the empty cup.
    Thankfully, she decided to start taking her own lunch and the problem was solved but I still think that whole situation was wrong.

10. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Amazingly the School Lunch Program reimburses the NC Dept of Correction for the breakfasts and lunches of inmates under 21 years old. When they leave the prison unit for work assignments, such as on the road squad, you have to send milk in a cooler for them, whether they drink it or not. Plus the canteen at the prison can't be opened during the meal times, so that inmates can't buy soft drinks during those times.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

This is true...the break down for a main entree and sides would end up costing more than the full lunch price if they paid for items separately.

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

13. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

The same reason my parents paid for oatmeal raisin cookies as part of school lunch...that I could not eat due to an allergy to raisins.

And items with nuts that none of us girls could eat because we all had braces.

It's a school cafeteria. Once price fits all. If you don't want to pay the price because you feel shorted, pack a lunch with a thermos of something acceptable to drink.

Good lord!:roll:

14. wolfcub

You must be the same type of person that when overcharged at the grocery store, you say oh well I have to pay for it. Good Grief is right!!

15. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

When I go to the grocery store,and I buy a Healthy Choice meal, I don't demand that the cashier give me money back since I can't eat the dessert that is included in the meal.

Some things are a package deal.

There are millions of people in this world, and there are millions of different likes, dislikes, allergies, etc. If public schools tried to accomodate every child's issues, they would never get anything else done.

It's not up to the rest of the world to accomodate every little quirk, allergy or difference in your family. Its up to you and your family to fit into the rest of the world.

Don't be so selfish and entitlement minded.

16. Cleopatra

At this point, I am more concerned about perfectly good unopened milk being thrown away.

The least they could do is put those aside to donate to a homeless or battered women/child shelter.

17. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

I don't get this either. What a waste. Why are they required to take a milk at all?

18. Cleopatra

I am guessing for inventory/reporting purposes - for the school lunch program. But why they could not be dropped into a cooler, instead of the trash is beyond me.

19. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

:iagree:

20. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

it is state law that all children recieve milk with there meals unless they have a drs note.