Freshman Orientation at West Johnston

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Former Buckeye, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Can any parents of sophmore and up students tell me what usually goes on at the freshman orientation at West Johnston? I understand that they get their schedules that day....would they also find out what kind of supplies they would need for each class, too? Would a student be disadvantaged if he/she didn't get to go?

The reason I ask is that my child, who will be a freshman, is visiting with her father in another state. He doesn't get to see her very often, so he is wanting her to stay until right before school starts to come back home. I am concerned, however, because I don't have any idea what kind of supplies I need to buy for her. Also, she is really a little bit intimidated about going to such a large school, and I think it would be to her advantage to go to orientation to meet her teachers and get a feel of the lay-out of the building.

If you have been through this, do you think that she will miss out on much?

Thanks!

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Personally, I would suggest that she does go. It really helped calm my DD's nerves about the whole high school scene when she was able to go and have a tour of the school and meet her teachers before the first day. Each teacher usually has a list of supplies on their boards for the kids to copy down during orientation.

3. FamilyOfFive

FamilyOfFive Well-Known Member

I haven't heard a word yet about freshman orientation and the school has nothing on their website about it. When is it?

4. West Johnston's freshman orientation is Thursday, August 14th, from 8:00 a.m. until noon. I have not found anything about it on the website about it either, but we did receive a letter in the mail when we received my daughter's report card

5. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

My son is a junior this year, but he will be at Middle College this year. He went to West the last two years. When we went two years ago the principal was very good at explaining that this was the biggest freshman class at that point in the HS's history and she explained how they were going to deal with that since the school wasn't built to hold that many students. They also introduced all the staff so you and your child knew who they needed to go to for what. They get their schedule and get to meet their home room teacher. We went to see where his other classes were but all the teachers seemed to be busy with the students in their home room (which was fine, I was just more concerned with the fact he knew where the classroom was). I want to say that we didn't get all of the supply lists until the first day of school and I think we had a week to get him everything. Then we also got his bus information which turned out to not be there so then we learned where the library was because we had to go wait in line there to get his bus schedule. I would recommend it, but I understand where you are coming from. When I was a teenager, I would go see my dad/family for the summer and not want to come home until the day or two before school started. Maybe you can call the school and see if they can help you work something out. I am not sure what the teachers schedules are, but maybe you can get her schedule and wander around the school to find the class rooms, but you may or may not get to meet the teachers.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think orientations are good for both child and parent. We go early so that we walk around the school and the teen gets the feel for where each class is. Supply lists and expectations are usually on a table in each classroom and we always introduce ourselves and pickup items that are needed so that the quest can begin of finding that just so right notebook. We usually shop ahead of time but it never fails that at least one teacher has something on a list that we have yet to buy.

It is important, to me, that my child sees others she knows in each class as we walk around. I, too, feel better knowing some of the kids and parents.

Good luck,
    Sherry

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

Mercifully I no longer have to deal with school and such but I wanted to throw my two cents in here....

The orientation is a great, thought at times hectic, thing. Yes you may have to wait in a line or two but it is important that kids and their parents go. It is disgusting to see the amount of parent who either sit in the car or just drop off their kids. Very few parents actualy take the time to go and I wanted to commend each one who does. A active, knowledgable parent is an asset to evey student.

8. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight! I planned on going, but thought it was a "floating" thing. But I see that it is more in depth than that. I just let my supervisor know I'd be in to work by 1:00 or 1:15. I have to do it again next year too as my 8th grader will be an upcoming freshman then. I also agree taht the parents need to go in there too and not sit in the car or drop them off. I know MY son and a few of my friends' kids have had the alien to come and get their brains, so letting them handle it alone would just be.......retarded to say the least... And to all the people with kids who may have it together and could do it alone.....sensibly....Please tell me your secret!!! :lol:

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I know that Clayton High's is organized. The gym is full of parents and teens awaiting the new year. Administration, teachers and coaches are all in attendance and make speeches. We were given maps, instructions and walked to each classroom to pickup wish lists, items for class and instructions from teachers. Some teachers gave speeches in the classroom while others understood that most families were on a tight schedule so they shook hands and welcomed one and all. Not something I think parents or teens should miss.

Sherry

P.S. Clubs and other organizations usually are setup for parents and teens to understand what is available, sign ups, meet individuals and get a feel. Almost left this part out...cannot do that as we are big into one club at CHS.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  10. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their input about orientation. All the experiences that you relayed helped me to convince my ex that my daughter really should attend. She will be back in NC before Thursday!! I greatly appreciate it!!....I was so worried that she would miss out on important information and regret it later.