Shotwell Road - US 70 Business Development

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by PoohBear, Jun 28, 2008.

1. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

The Town of Clayton Planning Board recommended approval to the Town Council the following rezoning requests on Monday night. Total investment over $25 million!
    1) 11+ acres beside and behind CVS on Business US 70 and Shotwell Road. 6 buildings of approximately 43,000 sq. ft. Includes a 8,600+ sq. ft. restaurant. New entrance west of CVS on Business 70 and CVS entrance will be used to access property. Plus entrance on Shotwell beside CVS.
    2) 44 acres on east side of Shotwell Road across Shotwell in front of old Winn Dixie Distribution Center. Main Street will be extended through this property and then across Shotwell beside Winn Dixie Distribution Center and exit on Business US 70 beside Little Creek. Office Residential Uses = 6.4 acres; Office and Institutional = 7.3 acres; I-2 Industrial 9.2 acres; B-3 Commercial = 20.3 acres
    3) 56 acres beside and behind Bojangles on west side of Shotwell up to old Winn Dixie Distribution Center. Major shoppins center. Lowes Home Improvement (125,000 sq. ft) is the anchor big box. Excluding Lowes there are 11 other proposed buildings with a total of more than 150,000 sq. ft. Entrance to Bojangles will be moved north on Shotwell. Main Street extension will be between the old Winn Dixie Distribution center and Lowes and will shirt the west property line to Business US 70 at Little Creek.
    Developers are petitioning NCDOT for signalized entrance on US 70 Business at Little Creek for #3. This will be the Main Street Extension. Main Street Extension will follow the dirt road location that is right before the railroad underpass. As you are heading west on Main Street you can see the current dead end dirt road as you bear right to go under the railroad underpass.

2. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

I just want to say crap (would perfer something stronger however i do like to post once in awhile...) -- the interesection at shotwell and 70 is already rediculous to manuever through unless its 2am -- no thought to traffic management -- sometimes one has to sit on shotwell through 3 light cycles to get onto or across 70 -not to mention those who risk their lives for a biscuit at BJ or a fill up at BP
    - crap:banghead: ain't progress grand

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why we gotta get a Lowes? Why couldn't it have been a Home Depot?

Craig

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm going to have to move. :?

5. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I had heard it was a Home Depot and not Lowes.. guess not!

KDC I'm with you my little 4 acres seems little now I need more country space!

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Two Major Shopping Centers Planned By Developers
    [​IMG]
    A sketch of a proposed retail development planned for US70 and I-95 in Selma. Courtesy The Selma News

Two major shopping centers may be headed to Johnston County. The Clayton Town Council has given the green light for The Shoppes at Little Creek, on Shotwell Road at US70. The development will include a home improvement store, restaurants, a bank and retail shops. Developers are working with the town to help eliminate traffic congestion the shopping center might create when it opens. The Shoppes at Little Creek could add as many as 700 jobs. In Selma, a developer is eyeing a large tract of land on US70 just east of I-95, and north of JR Tobacco. The development could include retail, office, medical, and residential space. It could be two years before the first phase is completed on the project, developers hope will eventually be about triple the size of Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield.

7. kmmsmile

kmmsmile Member

I've heard its a lowe's. I am thrilled.

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I've read in the paper several time that it will be Home Depot.

9. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Geesh...this are of Clayton is turning into a cluster.... like over at 4042!! Won't be able to go anywhere..

10. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Why couldnt it be an Ikea?!?
    *sigh*

I'm for Home Depot too. Wonder what kind of restaurant.

I really hate to say this but I'm looking forward to some new shops. Movie theater would be nice too.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

It is a Lowe's, at the Town Council meeting the developer let it slip.

12. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I heard something about Target building there in addition to Lowes.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Oh man, that is some REALLY bad news for my wallet! :p

14. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Yea, I LOVE Lowe's, another garden center to buy my pretty flowers at. That will put that Hudson Ace out of business, they are expensive anyway.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

They may be a bit more, but they are local, I think. Besides, they have stuff Lowe's doesn't carry. Only place in town that carries the lump charcoal too.

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's too bad. They are a neat little shop. They had some kind of kid festival back a month or two ago, hotdogs and a petting zoo. I didn't make it, and I doubt Lowe's will do anything like that.

17. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

I don't understand putting another Target on Hwy 70 within what, 8 to 10 miles from the one off Timber Drive and the one at White Oak? Also, that is a clusterhaha too at that godforsaken intersection. How about a Krispy Kreme somewhere in JoCo? Geez, who cares about another Dunkin Donuts in Smithfield. Bring the Kreme!

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

How about some healthier fare like Sweet Tomatoes or Souper Salad?

19. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Souper Salad??

20. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

A Chick fil A would be nice too.