Dance/Gymnastics

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DeniseL, Aug 11, 2008.

1. DeniseL

DeniseL Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any experience with any of the local places for Dance or Gymnastics. Looking for a good place to enroll my daughter who is 7. More on the beginner level for both. Thanks!

2. cece

cece Well-Known Member

3. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

My daughter, who is about to turn 6, went to Morgan's for 2 years (from ages 3-5). A lot of girls seemed to get a lot out of it, but they were older (like 8-10 yrs old). At that age, it was more of a play gym experience for her. They people were very nice there. I have heard if you want to get more into competition, then there's a place in Garner that is really good.

I have my daughter in Dance Art on Cleveland School Road (aka 1010) and it is very nice. The people are wonderful there.

4. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

If you live in the Clayton area Ann Austin, Clayton School of Dance, is excellent. (919) 553-3635

5. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Denise, check your PMs.

Frogger

6. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

My daughter attended gymnastics for two years in Raleigh.
    When we moved to Clayton, she joined Premier Athletics for dance & cheerleading. Personally, I think she learned alot more in the year that she was at Premier taking Cheer 1 then she did in the two years in gymnastics. I thought they teached better as far as cartwheels, round offs, back flips, etc.
    Just my opinion though. :)

We also liked the dance class, she took hip-hop. Her teacher left, so they got a ballet trained teacher in to teach instead and we didnt like how it was no longer "hip hop" so we took her out of class (this was at the riverwood location). The hip hop classes at the Guy Rd location are awesome.

7. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

My daughter is 7 and she takes dance at DanceArt. We really like it there. She has been going for about 4 years. She also takes gymnastics at Morgan's. She is now on an All-Star team. She seems to really love it and she has learned alot.

8. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

DanceArt is great...this will be second year for my oldest daughter and my youngest will be starting her first year. Very nice staff.

9. Lookout55

Lookout55 Well-Known Member

DanceArt for us too. Our 3 1/2 year old is starting ballet/tap. Have heard good things about them. And they have early day classes which is a huge plus for us.

10. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

We LOVE DanceArt!! Daughter, who is 5, has been going since she was two! She loves it!

11. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

There are many dance studios and a few gymnastics in the area.

Gym...
    Morgan's opened a 2nd location at 40/42 over near the Golden Corral (across fr Cracker Barrel). I've heard good & bad, but you hear that about everything. I've heard it's more recreational, if that's what you're looking for. 74 Son Lan Pkwy Ste 109
    Garner, NC 27529
    919-779-4984
    http://morgansgymnastics.com

You've read about Premiere Cheer. They really are cheer with some acro added in. IMHO. My Little One went there for a summer. Not for us, but it is for a lot of people.
    231 Guy Rd.
    Clayton, NC 27520
    (919) 359-8326
    http://www.premierathletics.com

Dance...
    Step Ahead Dance Studio is up at 40/42 on Technology Drive behind the Food Lion shopping center (across from Fit For Life gym). I want to say this is Step Ahead's 12th year. They offer a wide range of classes for the young and young-at-heart. If you want recreational dancing all the way to pre-professional, they can help you there. The teachers truly care about the whole student and it shows in the dancers both on stage and off. Yup, personal endorsement. Open House is tonite 5p-8p.
    78 Technology Drive
    Garner, NC 27529
    (919) 662-1143
    http://www.stepaheaddance.com

You've read about DanceArt.
    82 Dance Art Drive
    Garner, North Carolina 27529
    919-550-6556
    http://danceartinc.com

Clayton School of Dance is farther down the road. There seems to be a lot of talk about the "gyrations" and costumes when they are dancing at festivals, etc. Disclaimer: We've never had a child there, so this isn't from personal experience, just what we've heard in dance circles. They seem to cater to the older kids, more hip-hoppish. Don't know if they have a website.
    [SIZE=-1]316 E Horne St[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Clayton, NC 27520[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](919) 553-3635‎[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]That's all the info I have for ya that's close to neutral :p. Good luck!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Frogger[/SIZE]

12. Soccermom81

Soccermom81 Well-Known Member

The Little Gym in Clayton is a good starter place. They aren't competitive and teach them the basics and work with them on learning new stuff if they are just beginning. Hope this helps.

13. DeniseL

DeniseL Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies and info. You guys are great

14. kmmsmile

kmmsmile Member

TheDanZeZone

TheDanZeZone is in Garner at White Oak and Ms. Dawn is awesome! My kids love her!

15. dancemomof1

dancemomof1 Guest

Dance

My daughter has been a dancer at Dance Art since the day Amber opened her doors. This will be her sixth year! She is now the youngest competitive dancer on the senior company team! I knew my daughter loved to dance at the age of 2 but it was not until we started at Dance Art that her love for dance became her passion for dance. I have watched this little girl blossom into a beautiful dancer over the last six years. I cannot thank Amber, Debbie and the entire Dance Art staff enough for sharing their love and passion for dance with so many children! The senior company team is under the instruction of Mrs. Cheri Snow and she is incredible! The girls/boys know that they are loved by Mrs. Cheri but also know that when they arrive at the studio they are there to Dance! A special bond has been built with their new instructor! They truly adore and respect Mrs. Cheri and it shows day after day! They have all grown so much over the summer with dance! Mrs. Cheri is just amazing with these kids!!! If you are looking for a wonderful dance experience for your child....Dance Art is the place to be!!!!!!!

16. momof4kids

momof4kids Guest

I have to agree with the others about Dance Art. It has been nothing but a positive experience for my children. The owner, Amber, hires quality instructors who love the kids and love sharing their passion of dance with them. My kids have loved every instructor they have danced under. The studio is very family oriented and the staff is always there to answer any questions you may have. The recitals at the end of the year are always top notch. Feel free to stop by anytime and watch some of the classes and look around the studio. You will not be disappointed.

17. joydance

joydance Guest

Ms. Dawn is Awesome!

My daughter is 7 years old and she loves Ms. Dawn. She taught last year at DanceArt, but has now opened her own studio in Garner called the DanceZone. It is a new studio and she is great with kids this age. They all love her and respond well to her. Plus... White Oak is 5 minutes away which is convenient for running errands while they are in class. You should check them out. 919-772-7755

18. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

We loved Ms. Dawn also. My daughter had her for several classes over the years. Whn we found out she was leaving we were very upset but we new her dream was to run her own place. Even though we will miss Ms. Dawn, we will be staying at DanceArt. They have always been good to us and I am sure that Ms. Dawn's new place will be great also. I think there is room for both studios to be a success. I am sure Ms. Dawn's new place is great. You could not go wrong with either place. We wish her the best of luck. She truly has a gift for working with kids.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Part of a guerrilla advertising campaign?

20. jcmom

jcmom Guest

Glad Ms Dawn is GONE!

Last year my daughter was a student of Ms Dawns. She actually told 5 year old little girls they should have a boyfriend! I was upset because she was supposed to teach dance only. When Amber found out the things she was doing, she fired her. Danceart is a perfessional studio that is there for the good of the students. Ms Dawn continually lied to us and at the end of the year tried to recruit us to leave Ambers but keep it quiet from Amber. We do not care for the way she operates and are so glad she's gone!