A picture is worth a thousand words.....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by littlemrsb_nc, Aug 13, 2008.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

True.

It would be interesting to turn the question around, too. I wonder how many of those who castigated Obama then are making excuses for Bush now?

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hugh and KDs,

No matter how funny a picture is or whatever happens I have found that those who support him do not find any fault. While I admit mistakes from the other side and even laugh at some it never ceases to amaze me at how some people just don't have a sense of humor on this topic.

Just know that more are laughing than not, which may not be a good thing because of who, what and where the person did it.

Sherry :lol:

P.S. I do agree with Hat6 that I found it inappropriate for him to be at these Olympic games.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sherry, that is absolutely NOT true. Those of us who support him are well aware he has faults, the same as anybody else. Go back and re-read. I've repeatedly said he is not perfect. The difference is, I'm not going to crucify him over a stupid picture. :?

4. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Now what on earth could you be thinking that it was inappropriate for a leader of a country to be somewhere supporting his countries athletes?

Was he the only leader of any country to show up?

5. Sherry A.

My apologies, kdc. What I find strange, maybe I worded it incorrectly, is that I was not crucifying him over the flag picture but laughing because both the flag and the look on the face of his daughter were priceless. Once people started getting all defensive it made me wonder what happened to a sense of humor. While everyone makes mistakes, as seen by some Posts on this Thread, when he makes a mistake we have to hear about Dems.

All is good. Just want to extend hands across the aisle and laugh sometimes at both sides.

Have a great day,
    Sherry

6. Sherry A.

Clearly:

1) Human rights issues
    2) Tibet
    3) Trade
    4) Slave labor

Need I go any further? Don't care if leaders of other countries showed up, we should be the leader on the issues above. Many leaders did not show up because of the above and more. In my opinion, if we want the world to see us in a certain way...we must not support those who treat citizens with disdain. Just Google where China stands, in the world, on human rights.

Link to below and some interesting reasons: http://www.tibetnetwork.org/files/protests2008/OpeningCeremony.pdf

NOT ATTENDING:

EUROPEAN UNION:
    Austria - President Heinz Fischer
    Belgium - Prime Minister Yves Leterme
    Czech Republic - President Vaclav Klaus
    Denmark - Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen
    Estonia - President Toomas Hendrik Ilves
    Germany - Chancellor Angela Merkel
    Greece - Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis.
    Italy - Premeir Silvio Berlusconi
    Lithuania - President Valdas Adamku
    Poland - Prime Minister Donald Tusk & President Lech Kaczynski
    Portugal - President Anibal Cavaco Silva
    Spain - President Jose Rodriguez Zapatero
    Slovakia - Prime Minister Robert Fico
    Sweden - Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt
    UK - Prime Minister Gordon Brown
    EU - President of the EU Parliament Hans-Gert Poettering

REST OF WORLD:
    Bangladesh - Interim Prime Minister Fakhruddin Ahmed
    Canada - Prime Minister Stephen Harper
    India - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
    Indonesia - President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
    Iran - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
    New Zealand - Prime Minister Helen Clark
    Norway - Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg*
    South Africa - President Thabo Mbeki
    Taiwan - President Ma Ying-jeou
    Zimbabwe - President Robert Mugabe
    United Nations - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

We need not forget what those citizens go through daily.

[​IMG]

Sherry

7. Grinder

Best i could tell, he was not there supporting China. I did not see him wave a Chinese flag.

8. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

...and I'm always that feller who gets stuck sitting behind the idiot holding the sign backwards making me miss the whole race... humm... kinda like the feller in the black jacket. Me and him must have the same luck, 'cept he gets to sit behind the prez... and I'm usually sittin behind some dude named Billy Ray aka- 3 sheets to the wind.

9. Sherry A.

Sure he was. Had to stay somewhere, land the airplane, eat, etc. Supporting China all the way!

Sherry:lol::lol:

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

If that were true he's actually super "human." Because he has the record on Presidential mistakes.

I don't care if he's a republican, or a democrat, or no party. Take all the political aspects of the issues away; and he is still an outright embarrassment to the American people. If the President could be fired from the job, and the people decided on the issue, he'd be long gone. Based merely on his lack of diligence in national decorum. And, the man is probably the most flamboyant abuser of the "piggy bank" term than any prior two term president.

11. Grinder

Well let me ask you there sunshine...if it was totally inappropriate for the sitting president to go to China to support the athletes, then why was it appropriate for the athletes themselves to go?

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Don't you KNOW?!? No matter what the man does, or does not do, it's WRONG. If he hadn't gone, they'd be right here fussing that he wasn't supporting the athletes. He can't win. :?

I want to know which of you on here has never committed some sort of social error, or faux pas. :roll:

13. Grinder

Sherry?

Why is it?

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Based on the persecution of those who would wish for self determination of Tibet, or Taiwan, plus the numerous human rights violations, I don't feel that the IOC should have awarded China the venue to begin with.

And since when do diehard conservatives support a COMMUNIST government government? Or is the conservative voice just that, a voice without conviction?

Maybe you can answer me this one, then. If COMMUNIST China is OK to trade with, why not Cuba?

15. Grinder

Because Cuba wont give their refugees a decent boat to float on when trying to leave the country.

No China should not have gotten the Olympics, i agree fully there.

Does not change the statement that you and Sherry both chimed in on about how inappropriate it was for Bush to go over there to where i asked but it was ok to send the athletes? Why the double standard?

Sherry said "Sure he was. Had to stay somewhere, land the airplane, eat, etc. Supporting China all the way!"

Isnt that what the athletes AND their families did? Why not blast them for going. Why only Bush?

She still hasnt answered.

16. Sherry A.

Sorry, Grinder, been at the Clayton Obama campaign office so I just arrived to see this Thread. Will answer in a few. Boy, you need to tap that foot some more while you wait. :mrgreen: I'll eat and jump on this one first!

Sherry

17. Sherry A.

I have yet to say that everything George W. Bush does is wrong. Please show me where I have made that statement. You asked the same of me earlier and I apologized, now I am waiting. :jester:

Thanks,
    Sherry

18. Sherry A.

As I see it: Athletes are mostly non political when it comes to competition. They represent their country not politically but as athletes. So, an athlete can choose, four years in advance, as the whether they want to compete to get to that particular Olympic site. While boycotts have occurred in the past it is unusual. I do not disagree with line of thinking. Now, in stating that I do want to leave open that if the Olympics were held in, let's say Darfur, I would question why any athlete would show from any country.

Politicians are examples. They are looked up too for courage, leadership and strength. So, when our President attends the Olympics in a country such as China, which clearly has human rights issues, then I think that he should have shown courage enough to boycott by not attending because the leader of the country holding the celebration needs to understand others will not tolerate those issues and the citizens need to know they are supported.

Clearly other leaders understood that thought process, why not ours?

Sherry

19. Grinder

So the athletes and their families, countless world news and media people, volunteers and lord knows how many other people can go to China, fly in there, sleep there, eat there and as you put it...support China!

But the president can not, and in your opinion, is not allowed to go there to support fellow Americans.

That right?

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Show me somewhere where you HAVE agreed with something the man has done and I will be happy to. :mrgreen: