Easy Bake Kids' Foods/Meals

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Aug 20, 2008.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My kids love making food in their easy bake oven (yes, I have 3 boys!) but the food for it is sooo expensive! Anyone know of a place online to get them cheap? It's like $4-5 in the stores for 1 package, and the coupons they give you when you buy one I laugh at, save $1 on 2? I don't even buy 2 at a time! But my kids love it, so I keep doing it...My mom said to buy the jiffy mixes and just make tiny servings in it, anyone tried this before?

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Wow, some of those seem easy as cake!! :mrgreen: I didn't think about making them from scratch, I had looked online for cheap Easy Bake meals and wasn't finding any.

When I was a little girl, I had one, and my mom bought from Tupperware all these little accessories that went with it, these tiny plates, cups, servingware, cake carrier, mixing bowl, all sorts of things. She found it all recently and sent it to my oldest son, who loves to cook with me (it's his easy bake, my husband hates it!) It's hard to find accessories that aren't all pink/purple, but these are all brown, yellow, neutral colors, so he's in heaven! But we only had one cookie mix this morning, so that's what got me thinking...

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

As a fellow mom of boys!!! Don't you hate all that pink and purple stuff!!! I got my boys a toy kitchen and it was tough finding one that was all pink and girlie!!! :evil:

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

yeah, boys like to cook too! my son will watch emeril on tv and loves it! (he doesn't like to clean up after himself though)

6. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, Jiffy mixes do work. When I had my easy bake oven about 30 years ago, that is what my grandma and mom used to buy because even then the actual easy bake oven mixes were expensive (for that time) and they didn't have the variety that jiffy offers. Also you can order a jiffy mix cook book for free from www.jiffymix.com (I think that was the website) It has some really good ideas.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Easy Bake inventor dies

http://m.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/the-100-watt-lightbu.html

Bake something in his honor.

8. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

When my daughter was little, we just used the regular cake mixes and cookie dough. It was cheaper than the easy bake mixes and made a lot more. You can buy a box of cake mix for half the price of an easy bake mix.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i'm with everyone else, even when i was a kid with an Easy Bake, my mom bought the Jiffy mixes and also whenever she baked, she would give me a little of the mix to bake in my oven.

10. Jack E

Jack E Guest

Well for my first post I am surprised it is about Easy Bake Ovens, but let me give you a little insight in to the history of the famous toy over the years. Be careful which model you have. Some produced are protected from heat with a transite material which is Asbestos containing. This was all pretty much banned from 1994 until 2003 when the ovens were started being made in China and Taiwan. Up until 2007 the ovens were sent with various ones with the same transite material located within their confines. All of this is safe unless the lil brother or adventurous little girl decides to dismantle and take apart. That being said, I will post some links to some good easy home made recipes that are cheaper than store bought. I have daughters and a granddaughter that have and do thorougly enjoy them.

http://www.eborecipes.com/

http://www.budget101.com/kids.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q[]=easy+bake+oven&ls=re

http://www.childrensrecipes.com/easybakerecipes.htm

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/KIDS/Easy_Bake_Oven_Recipes_by_bme.html

http://www.kitchencraftsnmore.net/recipe081.html

Sorry to be a stick in the mud. But I feel everyone should be informed. Open markets to foreign countries should be better observed and monitored and us as parents and grandparents should be alerted to the problems encountered. Fortunately I deal with Asbestos related issues as part of my job and I encounter more and more with different products and the continued use as a country than most of the everyday citizens do.

Jack

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

...Pink and purple is the only reason my boys didn't get one. I was all for it and my oldest loves to cook... That's the only reason they wouldn't have it. :rolleyes:

...Hi Jack :)

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Look on ebay or just google and scour the internet for a Chuck E Cheese pizza oven, it works the same. I got one for my son many years ago and he loved it. The pizza was nasty of course, but you can use it just like an Easy Bake oven.

[​IMG]

13. nsanemom22

Cool! I wish I knew about that way back when.. He is currently graduating to the big oven though.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My son is also fascinated with cooking. At least he should be able to feed himself when he goes out on his own. :lol: I don't know why I am hesitant to show him more in the kitchen at his age. I remember my mother teaching me to cook simple items at the stove on a chair when I was about 4 years old. I was cooking dinner for the family by the time I was 10. She'd probably go to jail nowadays, LOL.

15. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

I am glad this was posted today! My son is 8 and he loves to "cook". He just said last night that he wished easy bake ovens were for boys. He saw the one my neice has yesterday. I will have to find him a pizza oven.

16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Both of my kids started learning to cook around 8 or so. 1st thing my son learned to make was grilled cheese sandwiches and french toast and he made them all the time, with an adult home of course. He loved cooking. Every since my kids were little, they have always helped me out in the kitchen and enjoyed doing something for themselves. Once they were reading, I taught them how to read the recipes and make different things.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Mr. Howes - no loving for you!

18. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

Here's what I did

Well, not on purpose. My family lives in AR and since I am not near my parents all the time (or hardly it seems sometimes) it's difficult to think of good gift ideas. Personally, I think my husband's idea box is running low...I've noticed a pattern in gifts lately that he probably had some voice in (hey, not complainin'...I could get NUTHIN!).

Anyway, my parents sent me my holiday/birthday gift at the end of December last year. They bought me a bread machine...

At first I thought "um, huh?"...Not that I do not cook. I'm the mother of four vicious boys! If I don't cook we'd put a few buffets out of business! But I guess perhaps they thought I had all they could come up with...so they got me a bread machine.

Guess who loves this bread machine the most? MY THREE YEAR OLD!!! Almost every day he asks if we can make some sort of something in the machine. I'm even sort of learning what alternative things bake/process/etc in the machine.

So, for a gift that at once put me to scratching my head, I now thank my parents for a LOT. It's been a nice way to teach him more counting and math skills...as well as why it's important to put ingredients in EXACTLY as they are stated!

Oh, and although you can't wear it until after Memorial Day, white is as non-gender as it gets! LOL! (all of my boys, at one time or the other, has always asked for a tea set...it's just fun!).

19. nsanemom22

LOL... DS1 LOVED his toy vacuum cleaner. He still gets all googoo eyed when he sees the the vacuum section in department stores. :rolleyes: