Sour towels? Help.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ljk, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Ok, so I forgot about a load of towels in the washer. I rewashed them and then dried them. They still stunk! I washed them again with soap/softener and they still dont smell great. They are not as bad as they were, but not anything I want to dry off with!

Any remedies to un-stink them?:lol::lol:

2. Lookout55

Lookout55 Well-Known Member

Put a cup of vinegar in the wash when the tub fills up with water and let it sit for half hour. Then run it with regular laundry detergent. Should do it.

I have experience with this.:oops:

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

hot water, and a splash of bleach (and of course normal detergent). Let the washer fill up about half way, so the bleach will be good and diluted, and it wont make the colors run. I have done it many times.

4. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

To remove the nasty smell, wash them in hot water with the normal amount of laundry detergent. Then add 1/2 cup baking soda (or you can use washing soda which is found in the laundry aisle) to the washer at the beginning.

If you have hard water, increase the amount of soda to 3/4 cup.

Lay off the fabric softener for this round of wash. Liquid fabric softener or sheets can cause buildup if not used correctly, and the towels will not absorb water as well.

Be sure to put the towels in the dryer ASAP. Use the sniff test — if they still stank, repeat the process. This should do the trick.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  5. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've done that, LOL!

I have always had good luck with washing them again, which you've already tried, so I'm not much help.

Can you bleach them? If not, Febreeze? Last resort: throw them out and have fun shopping!:lol:

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I tell you what Rich - you are just a wealth of helpful information on here today :lol: You from around these here parts?

7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

YES to Baking Soda. It is a real laundry sopa booster!!!

I would also LINE DRY them but just not today! ;)

8. Redneck Rich

Born and raised young lady! I got a few tips up my sleeve (actually I don't usually wear sleeves, but you get the point!)

I would quote your reply so's they know who I'm talking to, but I aint figured out how to do that yet!

Anyway, thanks Bandmom!

9. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I second the baking soda and Borax works well, too. I also leave the lid up so they can just soak in the water for a while after the machine is finished agitating for the wash cycle.

10. bandmom

It easy - just click the blue 'quote' button then type your reply underneath. :)

11. Redneck Rich

Thanky!

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

:iagree: I second this...The vinegar solution worked for me too...

13. Snuffleufogous

You were born and raised a young lady!?!?!
    How did you get to be a man? I've heard they could do that these days, but never met anyone that had the b---- to do it, so to speak.:mrgreen:

(Sorry, RR. Just teasing. I couldn't resist. Welcome to 40/42. We're glad to have you.)

Snuff

14. Redneck Rich

That made me chuckle! lol

Thanks Snuff!

15. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will go try a few of these and hope I get some fresh smelling towels!! (wonder what would happen if I combined them all) probably blow up my laundry room! :)

16. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

L, you can try adding Borax to the load if you have some on hand, it's a deodorizer too.

17. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I do the bleach thing, too. Just a tiny bit will take that funky smell right out.

18. Snuffleufogous

You should be just fine, unless you combine amonia with bleach. DON"T DO THAT! And don't run your dryer on the high heat setting without emptying the lint trap. Lint burns.

This public safety message brought to you by the Snuffleufogous foundation for home safety. And remember kids, DO NOT try this at home!:lol:

19. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Bleach wont ruin the color on the towels? Like how much bleach? Fill it, add bleach, then towels?

20. bandmom

add the bleach as the water is filling up (without towels), probably just 1/4 cup or so for a full load, then when its filled put your hand in there and swish it around a bit - then add the towels and detergent