Are we ready for Hanna?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KDsGrandma, Sep 1, 2008.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Nah - it will be a Hurricane party instead! :mrgreen:

2. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

It looks lik by the time it gets to us, all we will get is a bunch of rain. It looks like it stays a bit west of us.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Coincidence?

This Saturday, we are (were?) supposed to go to Fayetteville to our neice Hannah's first birthday party.

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

If I am thinking correctly it is that bit west of us that concerns me. Meaning we will be just east and thats where all the wind and tornadoes kick up, knock out power, trees..stuff like that!! Any thoughts from anymore hurricane experts around here. Yup...I'm a Yankee :jester: . I was here for Fran/Floyd so I quickly learned how nasty hurricanes can be.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Stay that way. Freezer and pantry stocked, got a generator and we can hop in the travel trailer in the yard if necessary for all the comforts of home. :lol: Hope we don't lose power though, I have been stocking up on meat and I'd cry if I had to have a big ole bbq for the neighbors.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Shar,
    take the time today to do a walk around the house. Anything that A grownup person could move can become launched by high winds. So, put the lawn furniture, pool toys, planters...inside a secured area. Get to the grocery store and plan ahead (you never know when you'll need a old fashioned, hand operated can opener. If you don't have one, get it today. Use the bathtub for holding water. I'd recommend adding some chlorine bleach to it, to cut down on bacterial growth. Set aside drinking water from all else. Use water for cooking that is not from the drinking source, and make sure you boil it. Get a battery opeated radio. get batteries for it and your flashlights. Turn off your propane tanks at the handle of the tank, not just on the grill.
    Easy to do stuff.
    And, if lines and electricity go down, credit and debit cards are not going to be useful, neither will cable or internet, possibly cell towers will be out. Develop an alternative means of communication, and have some cash (and small bills) in case you need them.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hmmm, better get some water, forgot about that. The well won't work if the power is out. We had to bum water off the neighbors during the ice storm a few years ago. That sucked!

8. Back in June I bought one of those 5 gallon containers at BJ's to hold drinking water into. I guess its time to fill er up

got to also stock up on batteries. And if we lose power I guess I will be playing this line through my head.....

Warm beer and bread they said could raise the dead
    Well it reminds me of the menu at a holiday inn

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm ready! :cheers:

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Also - If you have freezer space - fill jugs with water and freeze them - that way if you lose power you can place the frozen jugs in your fridge or a large cooler to help keep neccessities cold.

And - if you don't already have a rain barrel - you can buy a large plastic trash can to collect rain water and use that for flushing toilets etc.

Hatt6 mentioned securing items - if you have trampolines - turn them over so they're flat on the ground! We had one get caught up in the wind and it rolled over our fence, over the neighbors car and down the street one time yrs ago!!! :mrgreen:

11. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Consider your animals as well, any outside pets should be inside during this type of weather.

12. Desdemona25

Desdemona25 Well-Known Member

That's just for snow. :mrgreen: The protocol is usually the aforementioned beer and white bread plus plywood, tapcon screws, batteries, water, gas for your car and generator, baked beans in a can, canned tuna, Spam, gas or charcoal for your grill, peanut butter and jelly and ice.

No...I don't have this down pat by now. :beathorse:

Honestly, I'm not going to believe that it's turning until it does. I think it's going to pay a visit to me before it visits you guys. And then we have Ike and Josephine heading our way. Joy! :ack:

When Wilma hit my neck of the woods back in 2005, I was heating up canned beans on my neighbor's charcoal grill. It was interesting to say the least.

13. Desdemona25

Mudman...HA!

My daughter had fun pretending to be a tree after Wilma. She was picking up the various branches that were around our neighborhood.

14. Desdemona25

Sounds like you'll be making some cheeseburgers in paradise on the grill! :mrgreen:

After our last experience, I taught my neighbor how to use her charcoal grill. Her husband (who traveled a LOT at the time) wouldn't ever show her. She even made me swear to never tell him that she knows how to use it and that my cooking was better than his. :mrgreen:

15. Desdemona25

Also, don't forget to turn your fridge and freezer to the lowest setting. That way, food will stay colder longer. I managed to get a couple days use out of things I had in the fridge after my power went. Unfortunately, it didn't last the entire 6 days I was out.

16. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

Don't forget to stock up on dog/cat/bird/hamster, etc. food while you are stocking up on human food.

17. Desdemona25

I've got another one for you too.

In 2004, we were hit by storms less than 3 weeks apart. Ugh! The first one took down my wooden privacy fence. I could hear the breaking in the middle of the night. Totally freaked me out because I couldn't see at all (power went out earlier that morning). For the second one, my former fence became my hurricane shutters.

And the mugginess afterwards is NASTY.

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Yikes, your right. I was going to wait until this weekend to do that but thanks for reminding me.

19. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

^ Hey! You're not me! :mrgreen:

Talked to my mom this morning and she said that my brother (who is a total weather nut) told her that Hanna is on the same track as... dare I say the word... FRAN! :shock:

I'm not really freaked out (because it's too early to be freaking out :lol:) but I sure learned my lesson from Fran and if Hanna stays the course, we'll be sure to take the necessary precautions with water, etc.

20. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

No problem, you reminded me to think of our animals (mine are very very spoiled inside dogs), but realized I haven't checked the dog food bag to make sure we will have enough to get them through if anything does happen. I still have nightmares about Fran!!!