Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I e-mailed WTVD because they are currently on local news. Also sent e-mail to WRAL.

2. gcoats3

WTVD just reported Johnston County Sherriff investigating.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

We're near Chops too, didn't hear anything over this way. Must be more towards Clayton.

4. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

I didn't here a doggone thing.........lol.

5. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I didn't either, I'm on 210
    Sheri

6. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

I missed all the excitement...didn't hear or feel a thing near 210

7. Hoagie

Hoagie Well-Known Member

Off Government also and the whole house shook! Didnt hear a plane though. I thought it was our Propane tank!

8. Monkeychi1

Monkeychi1 Member

probably was sonic boom

What we heard downtown Clayton was a single loud boom.
    From wikipedia article:
    'A sonic boom is usually heard as a deep double "boom" as the aircraft is usually some distance away. However, as those who have witnessed landings of space shuttles have heard, when the aircraft is nearby the sonic boom is a sharper "bang" or "crack". The sound is much like the "aerial bombs" used at firework displays.' Also, it mentioned that even planes 70,000 feet high cause sonic booms, and that's probably farther than you could hear the plane or its engines.

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We heard it off of Glen Laurel Road and many houses shook. I have searched the net for some information but nothing yet.

10. my4kiddies

my4kiddies Well-Known Member

I didn't hear a thing and im in Wendell right now , Has anyone figured out what happened yet ?

:allears:

11. shellbell516

shellbell516 Active Member

We heard it too. We're off Josephine Rd. I don't know how the folks near Chops didn't hear it. We heard a boom and the house shook. A lot of neighbors walked out too.

Typically, I don't think jets are supposed to go super-sonic over populated areas because sonic booms can blow out windows.

12. gcoats3

A lady with a scanner advised it was at Williams Point or Williams Port. She could not hear exact location. Anyone ever heard of either?

13. my4kiddies

my4kiddies Well-Known Member

Whats in williams port or point ? I never heard of it ?

14. colinmama

colinmama Guest

Which is so weird because that is so close! Although I'm glad since it sounds like it was very scary.

15. Solak

Solak Member

More from WRAL.com

Viewers reported the following:

"There was a major boom here at approximately 5:45 p.m. in Wendell. The entire house shook. (I) talked with my parents in Clayton approximately 15 minutes later who are at least 20 miles from here, and they heard it also and their house also shook." -
    Gary Stevens
    "We live in the Powhatan area of Clayton just off Highway 70 and a loud boom noise shook our house. We checked and couldn't find any reason for the noise." - Teresa and Jesse Scott
    "We have a decent size house (3500 square feet) and the boom shook the house on it's foundation. I went outside and dogs were barking all around us. I saw nothing that could cause it." - Rodney Radford
    "Dust fell from celling, sounded like a crash. Our house shook." - Joey
    "It shook out entire house! We thought someone had crashed into our home!" - Amy
    "Boom, boom, boom. It shook the house like a car had hit the house. All the neighbors came running out. We don’t see any smoke. My son lives six miles away and he heard it as well." - Carol Gibbs
    "It was pretty sizable. It was clearly an explosion. The house shook alright - from behind us." - Bob Greene
    "Huge explosion heard. Shook entire neighborhood. No smoke seen. Seemed very close. Sounded like a bomb exploding!" - Scott Murphy
    "There was just a noise in Clayton that sounded like a huge explosion that shook the houses of our neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods." - Carla Cawthorn
    "Heard two extremely loud booms a split second apart. Everyone in the subdivision came out of their homes to investigate but unsure of the cause." - Scott Hall

16. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Nothing on the fire scanners yet.

17. gcoats3

If I knew I would have posted. Just repeated what she heard. She can't find either on a map.

18. colinmama

colinmama Guest

but if emergency crews have not found a cause yet isn't that a little weird? you'd think a big explosion like that would be easy to pinpoint. Maybe it was a sonic boom.

19. Dawn

Dawn Well-Known Member

So Downtown Clayton only heard one boom and the others out towards Cornwallis/42 general area heard two?

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DH just got back a little while ago, said there was an air show in Greensboro today. Dollars to donuts it was a sonic boom.

Scared the %^& out of us though. I've neve had my house shake like that before. :shock::shock::shock: