Why?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So we've been fed a line about how gas prices are directly related to the price of oil. Oil is WAY down, yet there has NOT been a corresponding drop percentage wise in the price of gas. Yes, I know NC is still suffering from the "shortage" but that doesn't explain all of it. Anyone? Oil inventories are up according to reports released today, there isn't any reason I can see why it's still so high. :confused:

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

The reason is simple. You have proven that you are willing to pay that much, why should they drop it?

3. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I don't have the answer why--but apparently I have nothing better to do with my time so yesterday I researched the last time oil was $90 a barrel. That was Dec. 07 and at that time the average gas price in NC was $2.98--so I wonder why I paid $3.85 earlier this week.

I did hear on the radio today that in some parts of the country (did not say where) that gas was under $3.00 a gallon.

Anyway--that is my tidbit of info for today.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So how have you been getting to work?

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Driving, of course. Apparently I'm willing to pay that much as well.

6. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

[​IMG]

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Just so we're clear on that. 8) I have cut my driving to the bone, as I am sure most have.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol: I started to ask if it was on a broom, but thought better of it!

9. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I haven't. My driving has curtailed a bit only because summer (and camping season) is over. Yes, I hate the price of gas, but there's not much I can do about it. Any one (especially politicians) who say they can are liars.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Heard this morning on the radio that NC has the highest gas prices in the lower 48 - are we the only one with a shortage???

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, due to the hurricane a couple weeks ago. Supposedly everything is back up and running yet...................................:nopity:

My sis in Roanoke says gas up there is about $3.28. :banghead:

12. LETSGOEERS!!!

LETSGOEERS!!! Well-Known Member

13. le

le Well-Known Member

I was thrilled to find "cheap" gas in Smithfield today, $3.69.

14. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

I saw $3.59 at Sheetz in Fuquay yesterday, but I had just filled up, so didn't need any. Of course, I had paid more than that. :banghead:

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

It amazes me that this am at 42 it was 3.91 and where i work 20miles away 3.64:confused:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  16. my4kiddies

my4kiddies Well-Known Member

I payed 3.69 in Wendell yesterday ...It was great but still to high

17. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

Coming back from Greensboro yesterday, it was 3.39 in Mebane on I-85/I-40. Today in Greenville I paid 3.49 at the intersection of Arlington and Memorial. But here at 40/42 and DR Wells, 3.91. It's getting REAL old.

18. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Yep. I plan everything around my few necessary outings these days. DH makes the milk/eggs/bread stops by the store on his way home because he is passing them anyway. For the most part, my van stays parked -- and I only have to fill up every 2 weeks or so -- but only because we can no longer afford for me to be out burning asphalt like I used to. ;)

19. chik

chik Well-Known Member

If you are paying $3.85 in NC something is very wrong!

I work in Vail Colorado and our prices are below that. Not much but it is. We normally are among the highest in prices. In fact I don't get gas here i get it in Frisco or Leadville which is about $3.74.

20. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

One of the reasons our gas is so high is our state highway taxes, some of the highest in the nation. I always try to 'play the market", when gas is going down, I only buy $10-$20 at a time. When it's going up, I try to fill up when I can.
    On a side note, anyone see where they are doing studies on doing away with the gas tax and replacing it with a "mileage" tax. We will be taxed on the miles we drive rather than the gallons we use. I was wondering how they would fid a way to tax electric cars for highway use.... NOW WE KNOW!!! :evil: