Red Box movie rentals

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by j*j*s*mom, Oct 23, 2008.

1. j*j*s*mom

j*j*s*mom Well-Known Member

Has anyone used these? I have seen them in a few places and wondered what they were like and if you had any trouble using them. We seldom rent movies so I don't want to join NetFlix to rent a movie one time a month or so. Thanks

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Love it!! I did it for the first time 2 weeks ago, rented 2 movies for $2, can't beat it! It's so easy, you touch the computer screen, you can search alphabetically or randomly, they show you what they have, and it just spits it out! I thought they only had what's on the board in the store, but not at all, there was a lot more there. It's $1/night, and you have to use your credit card. For 2 movies (1 night) it was a total of $2.14.

I did Netflix last year and was easy as well, but think I might skip it this year. Redbox is just as easy really, with Lowes 1 mile down the road. I've noticed Walmart now has Redbox as well. Anyone know where else they have them?

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

They are great. It's $1 a day and, if you don't return it in 30 days, they stop charging and you keep the movie (basically you buy the movie for $30, not a good deal, but that's the max they'll charge).

I only have two complaints, neither of which is reason to not use it.
    1. Sometimes popular movies that just come out are all checked out when I try to rent. Ironman was one recent example (but The Incredible Hulk was "in stock" yesterday).

2. There are not enough Red Boxes at each location (two or even three would be better). There lines are too long and only one Red Box available.

4. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

RedBox is wonderful. You can rent at Wal-mart and return at Lowes--so you don't have to backtrack and waste gas if you are not going the same place two days in a row. We get text messages for a free rental every Monday. We just returned from a trip. Rented three movies in Clayton--the kids watched them in the car and returned them in Orlando. Picked up more in Orlando for the ride home returned at Lowes. Kids had plenty of entertainment and we did not have to pay for a week's rental for seven movies.

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

LOVE the redbox! we use it religiously!

6. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Love them! We've been using redbox for a while since I used to drive to the Harris Teeter before we got the new Lowes and HT has had one for a while. I was so glad to see Lowes put one in when I was there a couple weeks ago!

7. j*j*s*mom

do you have to register for a membership to use it? or just walk up to it and start selecting?

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

No membership (you could even enter a false email, if you really want to). All you need is a credit card (or a Visa/MC debit card).

9. KellBell

nope just do it!!

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

No, just start using it. I think it just asks for your name, credit card and maybe the last 3 #s on the back of credit card (cant' remember exactly), and maybe your billing zip code? But that was it, very simple to use. They email your confirmation (so they asked for that as well) and as stated before, which I forgot about, you can return to any redbox location. As Clif stated, they can be out of a new release, but I had that problem with Netflix last year as well.

11. j*j*s*mom

thanks guys, will be stopping by for this weekend's family night movie

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My teen just showed me the machine at Lowe's Foods yesterday. Glad you started this Thread as I was needing some answers myself.

Thanks,
    Sherry

13. Sherry A.

Hey P,

Whole new world out their huh? When my daughter showed the machine to me I was very skeptical. Go figure...getting movies from a machine for a buck!

Sherry

14. j*j*s*mom

went to wal-mart in smithfield tonight and they have put a box beside the drink machines (on the grocery side). there were alot of new movies, for the family and little kids also, to choose from. also i like the fact that i can pick up from clayton on the way home and then just drop off at the one in kenly without having to spend more on gas than the movie.lol

15. sokieguy

sokieguy Active Member

In the town I am from in Illinois, they have them at McDonald's. That is nice, you can grab the kids a Happy Meal and then get a movie at the same place. They have had them for a long time there, like 2-3 years.

16. KellBell

I would imagine they will be the next 'big thing' as far as movie rental goes.

17. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Web site

They have a Web site: www.redbox.com

Allows you to search for nearest redbox to you.

18. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You can also reserve a video from home to make sure it is available when you get to the box.

19. Sherry A.

Awesome.

Thanks so much,
    Sherry

20. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I just rented one for tonight!