A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I agree with the last one, I am here not sure how much work will get done tho..

I still have all my decorations up, I will get them down next weekend or maybe Thursday while I am at home..

DS had the best christmas as did me and dh!!

2. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

I don't take down Christmas decorations til after New Year.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Uh, oh! I was taught that was bad luck. Also taught that one must eat certain things on the 1st for prosperity and all. Southern upbringing and all.

Sherry

4. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

You are suppose to eat black eyed peas and collards on the first and you are not suppose to take down christmas decorations until, shot what is it, The New Christmas or something like that, come on people help me out..

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

January 6, the Feast of the Epiphany.

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my Christmas stuff has been out since the Friday after Thanksgiving.....bad luck, schmad luck....I was done with it. :mrgreen:

and I ain't eating black eyed peas for nothing..... :ack:

bleck!

I am not superstitious by the way...:mrgreen:

7. Sherry A.

Did a search on Google as I was always taught this and now I am wondering about it, just out of curiosity. Seems even Foxfire does not show that tradition. Did mama teach me a wrong tradition? Uh, oh...KDs, you know me...I'll have to joke with her about this and make sure the teen and I do some investigative work before she states to her children someday that this is a Southern tradition...................learn something new all the time.

Their still is a Santa, right?

Sherry :lol: :lol:

P.S. Starting telling my mother about this and my response...uh, oh again! She did not find it funny and stated..."Well then, it is a family tradition and should stay so." I told her that I am joking around now and all but to no avail. Cannot win today!

KDs...please come deal with her....just kidding again!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  8. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

9. Sherry A.

10. KDsGrandma

I was born and raised in northern New England. We never put up our tree until maybe a week before Christmas, and we left it up until after Epiphany, January 6, along with all the rest of the Christmas decorations. I never heard it was "bad luck" to take it down earlier, we just didn't take down any of our Christmas decorations until after the 6th.

That said, I have already taken down my Christmas tree because it was leaning so bad I was afraid it was going to fall over! That would have been bad luck, wouldn't it? Now, anybody want a slightly used Christmas tree?

11. Sherry A.

When I lived in San Francisco the Russians and Ukrainians would go through predominately Christian neighborhoods and pickup the discarded trees as they use them after we do. Maybe your slightly used, leaning, tree could be recycled by one of them.....good luck with that.

Sherry

12. KellBell

hehehehe.....no help for the slightly used...however, I have one on my front porch too, that can go too. :mrgreen:

13. KDsGrandma

I'm thinking last year somebody really was taking them for their pond? Have I really lost it this time, or does anyone else remember that? Too lazy to search for it today. :?

14. KellBell

I actually remember that too. not sure if someone suggested it for a pond, or if someone actually had a pond and wanted them.

15. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Christmas was great!

I want my living room back, but DH refuses to let me take the tree down till 2009. Silly superstitious man, lol...

16. Sherry A.

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm VERY cranky today. :boxing:

must be getting ready to start sometime soon

18. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

You want me to go beat someone up for you?

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Nah, already been screaming @ Corporate this AM :lol:

Who's next? :boxing:

FIL is coming into town later today, you know how I am. :twisted:

ALSO, there are things that we NEED to do to get geared up for 09 marketing and someone isn't going as fast as I'd like.

20. seabee

seabee Guest

Hey you looking for a fight? I'm always ready. Name the place. :jester: