need new Vacuum Cleaner

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

We need a new Vacuum Cleaner. Anyone have any suggestions? We do have cats, so need something good for cat hair, I know Dyson is very good, but I really don't want to spend 400 bucks on a Vacuum Cleaner, but if that what best we will. We have bought them in the past from Walmart, but they don't seem to hold up or they are good at first and 6 months to a year they just don't work so good.

2. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

We've had a bagless GE model for over a year and it's been great. The canister filter is washable. We have an inside, small dog and it get the hair up and I'm sure it was under $150.00.

Mike

3. JC1000

JC1000 Member

DYSON

We have a dyson for pets for 2.5 years and it works as good as the day we bought it. it comes with a 5 year warranty and yes we spend 400 on it, but if you buy a $80 vacuum you have to replace it every year. it deep cleans better than any other vacuum we have had.

4. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I second the Dyson, we got one a few months ago and it is FANTASTIC!! I had the same problem of going through several vacuums b/c they would just quit working. Try Craigslist, we got ours from a local guy who refurbishes them and he gave us a warranty.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Dyson.....worth the investment. If only the other things I buy worked as well and for as long.

6. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks all.
    I think after looking at some today, we are just going to go with the Dyson, for what we have spent over the last 2 years we should have just bought one a few years ago.

7. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

A rainbow vacuum cleaner is the best.

8. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

I have a Kirby, Tri-Star, & Electrolux. I like the Tri-Star the best because of the canister. the Kirby works well, but can be bulky.

9. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Dyson, Dyson or Dyson

I've had mine for like 4+ years now - a Purple Animal - Have 4 long haired dogs and 1 long haired cat --- 1 with short hair as well. For the 5 years prior to that, I went through 1 vacuum every 12-14 months - sincerely. Usually by month 2 or 3, they stunk to high Heaven when I'd turn them on.

The Dyson smells the same as it did the day I first cranked it up. Lifetime filter, bagless - great warrantee. . .Those 4 dead soldiers 2 in my garage waiting to be taken to some recycle place - they cost a total of a bit over 500.00 for the lot of them - I see no end in sight for my Purple Animal - it is the best money I ever spent on a vacuum and I have to vacuum every day. The longevity makes the Dyson much more affordable than any other vacuum on the market IMHO.

The only time you can say a product really sucks and it's meant in a positive and literal way. . .Dysons suck, bigtime!:lol:

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I LOVE the real Electrolux vaccuum. Very expensive but lasts 20 years. I need a new one now also, but they are up to 1699.00. But if you divide 20 into that, you would have spent that much on those cheap vaccuums over the years also.

11. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

The best!!!!!!!! All I've ever bought.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

For those who don't want to spend quite that much on a vacuum, I got a Eureka Capture bagless last year and have been VERY pleased. We have 2 cats a dog and you can use this one on the carpet and then go over it with a sticky roller and not get a single hair. I am amazed at what it get out. It has a couple filters in it too, you just wash and put back in. I probably will get a Dyson eventually (sis has one and swears by it) but I didn't have $500 to spend on a vacuum when my Kenmore quit doing a good job.

13. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

I picked up mine at a yard sale for $5. I bought the Kirby for $50 the same way. Tri-Star was free.

14. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better.

We have "Killed" every vacuum that we have owned, until the Dyson. We have had ours for almost 5 years now and the thing is just as good today as it was the day we bought it. Dyson is completely worth the money!

15. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Miele is awesome, expensive but worth it. It will be the last vacuum we ever own. We have had ours for twelve years and it still works as well as the first year we bought it. We have had an average of 2 dogs (labs) and 4 cats (maine coons) every year and we vacuum at least twice a week to keep up with the hair machines.
    Consumer Reports' best pick is a Kenmore canister. My best friend swears by Kenmore. And she has 2 dogs and 2 cats.

16. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

My Eureka Capture is worthless...and I just bought it! Takes several times before it picks anything up and is kind of heavy.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Really?? I'm sorry to hear that. I've had mine about 6 months and am very pleased with it. With 2 cats and a dog, I'd be snowed under in hair if it didn't work. Wonder if you got a bad one? Although it is heavy.

18. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

I spent $400 on my Oreck and it came with a cordless iron and a hand vac with attachments and I love all 3. Couldn't pay me to trade them in. I have had Eureka, Bissell, Hoover and Shark vacuums and they all had to be replaced within a year. I have a runner that attracts dog hair like a magnet and with all the other vacuums that I have owned you would have to make at least 3 passes before all the hair came up...the Oreck, 1 pass and you are done. It even looks like you steam cleaned because it leaves the marks in the carpet like a steam cleaner. We have a beagle and a shepard mix so we have dogs with both long and short hair and it gets it all.

I got my Oreck on QVC on easy pay so it was nice to not have to come up with $400 all at once and I got 6 tune ups as well. The Oreck store in Crossroads carries everything you need for it and you can take it in there for the tune ups once a year. It does have a bag and the bags that I use have the HEPA filter on it and I think the bag on the vacuum itself does have some kind of filter on it too.

Here is the link to QVC so that you can see everything.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detail&params=item^V26799,frames^y,from^se,cm_scid^isrc,cm_ssi^Item:%20V26799&cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-V26799

19. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

I just bought a Dyson the first model from sears on sale for 250.00 plus I had a 50.00 gift card. I love it and I am the husband!