Facebook friends question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by All Children First, Feb 15, 2009.

1. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

If someone asks to be your friend, and you ignore them, do they get a message telling them "sorry, but so-and-so has rejected you as a friend?"

I have several invites from people who I did not like in high school and really don't care to have as "friends" twenty years later. (There's also the guy I've never seen or heard of in my life as far as I know...)

I just hate to be rude when I reject them.

2. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

No I they don't. You do not have to accept anyone you do not want.

3. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

I haven't accepted about 8 people now...they are just sitting there in my "friend invite" box...if they won't get a response about it, I'll go ahead and officially ignore the invitation.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm recently on facebook myself and wondered the same thing. So far, I haven't seen any requests from anyone I'd particulary NOT like to "friend" but there are definitley some I don't want on there. Got one out of left field today as a matter of fact. But so far, so good.

5. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

yeah, the only way they'll be able to tell is if they're cyber stalking you

6. TheSantaFeMan

TheSantaFeMan Active Member

no biggie

If you didn't like them twenty years ago and you don't know them now, they'd probably be surprised if you DID accept them as friends. I've had the "who are you" people request to be my friend and it appears that they are just trying to get as many friends as possible on Facebook. Its kinda' sad. I think it in some way they use it to justy their existence. I only befriend people that I know and that ARE my friends. I use it as a way to also keep up with long distance friends & family on a daily basis. Remember, once they're your friends on Facebook, they see everything you post. Leave the stalker stuff for MySpace.

7. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will work for issues prior to making changes but....

On the blue band running across the top of your screen when you log into Facebook, looking towards the right side of the screen, to the right of your name in small font is "Settings". Click on "Settings". You will be offered Account Settings, Privacy Settings and Application Settings. Click and browse through those 3 options and make the necessary changes you are trying to achieve.

Folks complain about all the email they receive from Facebook. I have it set so I only receive an email when someone Requests me to be their Friend or is replying to me asking them to be my Friend. I have everything else turned off. And even with those emails, I leave the email closed until I have time for them.

Classmates has a similiar featur on their site you just need to search your Account and make the necessary Settings changes.

8. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing just last week. A guy I work with (our IT guy) asked me to add him as my friend. I had to laugh when I saw this. (I've not deleted his request yet because I was not sure if he would get a rejection notification and I'm sure he would have asked me about it.) I told my husband even though the guy works with me, he is a total stranger. I may see him once a month when he comes to fix my computer. I was talking with another person at work and she said, he's never asked to be added as a friend. I'm thinking the last person I'm adding is the IT guy who is friends with the HR person - though I don't have anything inappropriate on my FB, I certainly don't want my business talked about in the office.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Simplest solution, I haven't a Facebook or Myspace page, no issues! :)

10. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

It's all a choice in life, just like registering for 4042.com. It's all in what you make of it with any site. I use the sites for networking purposes. My daughter is my token Democrat. : ) I have faith one day she will move closer to the right,,,,er I mean light.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: My Mother had the same wish for me!

12. toysrmel.com

toysrmel.com Well-Known Member

If you just reject the invite, they can ask again, but if you just do nothing they can not ask again. It is my understanding that nothing is ever sent to them if you reject them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Category:Facebook

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Mmmmm...............Ok, just got a request from someone who I have NO clue who it is. Yeah, we went to the same school, but I switched schools the middle of my senior year and don't remember the person. Heck, there were 250 kids and I couldn't pick 10 of them out of a line-up!:lol: To make matters worse, their profile pic is a rendering of some sort, not an actual picture. :? I'm going to ignore it for the time being and maybe they will identify themselves, LOL. Weird!

14. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

You could respond to his friend request by just asking how you know him. Gosh, I haven't been on there in so long, I've probably got 150 things to respond to - notes, lil green patch requests, etc., etc.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yeah, curiosity got the better of me last night and I just asked him. Turns out, he doesn't really remember "me" per se, but my maiden name was pretty distinctive and he remembered that. He actually lives in Raleigh. I doubt I will add him, but we had a nice chat by messaging. So mystery sorta solved.

Yeah, you about have to take care of all those little "requests" as they come in. I can't keep up with them all!

16. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Some days I enjoy all the little plants & things, but other days I log in and just click "ignore" about 50 times! :lol::lol:

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Same here...........:oops: I love them and appreciate the thought, but there isn't enough time! :lol: I don't send that many of them out myself.

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Great, I'm not sending either one of you anything else! :lol:

Just kidding, now I'll send more! :lol::lol::lol:

19. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

But, when you message them and ask questions, they will have access to your page. They can't message you or post on your wall, but they can see everything on your page.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I know, but I got nothing on there that could really enable someone to track me down to my physical address. I'm not too worried about it. 8) I'd be more worried about stuff I have on here by far.