Where to buy really Affordable furniture??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Feb 16, 2009.

1. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

We need to buy enough furniture to furnish a living/sitting room and a family/TV room. Entirely, couch, chair, coffee table, end table, the works. We have nothing right now.

Any reccomendations where to go that is really affordable?? We have to be really conservative with our spending.

However, I don't want to buy used, as I honestly have a phobia of bringing in bedbugs or lice or some other critter. I have witnessed that happen to a family member and just can bring myself to risk it.

Thank you much for any ideas!

-K

2. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

You could always try the Flea Markets on Brightleaf Blvd. in Smithfield. One of them specifically sales furniture.

3. seabee

seabee Guest

Hey its Monday.. are you ready??? :boxing: sells not sales...:jester:

4. new2area

new2area Member

I love to shop at Thieves Market in Raleigh. It's off of New Bern Ave., in Tower Shopping center. They are a huge consignment furniture store and I've purchased quite a few things for my home there. Great prices too and very clean!

5. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

LOL.... I actually thought about it after I posted and figured screw it, they know what I mean.
    But I'm so glad you were there to point it out............let Monday roll on :jester:

6. seabee

seabee Guest

Of course I'm here...

7. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I think it really depends on what you're specifically looking for. We easily went to two dozen places looking for a microfiber sectional for our family room. Even though I swore I wouldn't, we ended up buying from Rooms to Go, simply because they were the only ones that had what we were looking for. Most stores only had 1-2 microfiber sectionals, if any, so it was pretty slim pickins.

I would definitely check out Big Lots. And if you're willing to wait a few months, keep an eye out for their 20% coupons. They had one in October and another earlier this month, so I'm guessing they'll have another in late spring or early summer. My SIL got a leather sofa and love seat from there last year that are so comfortable and still look brand new, even with two small children and two large dogs! The matching leather ottoman/coffee table is so great that my other SIL bought the same one just before Christmas and we bought it earlier this month (with the coupon). I was really surprised to find that their furniture is decent quality and pretty cheap.

Although I agree with you about the danger of bugs when buying new (close friend's whole house got infected by bed bugs from a nightstand bought off of Craigslist), I wouldn't completely ignore the possibility. We just bought our dining room table off Craigslist and couldn't be happier. When we got it home, we took it right into the garage and thoroughly wiped it down with bleach and water. For anything with fabric, I wouldn't buy anything stored in a garage or storage unit. Typically if someone is getting rid of stuff because of bugs, they'll get it out of the house. If it's in their home, I would take a good look at how well they keep their home and the item, and of course if they have any pets.

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If you want basic simplistic pieces, I agree that Big Lots may be a good place to check out. JCPenney at North Hills (downstairs) might be a good choice, too. We bought a very nice recliner there. It had been pre-ordered by someone and there was a spot of glue on the fabric underneath the armrest. They didn't want to pay the $500 retail price for the blemish and we stubbled upon it for $300. You might try Ormond's in Selma. They are located in the older shopping center to the left (as you're going toward Selma) on Highway 301. Another though might be seeing what Wal-Mart or Target has that's RTA (Ready to Assemble).

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

craigslist has some dealer that advertise on there, and they have some pretty darn good deals for rooms of furniture....you can check out tons of listings, it'll say 'furniture by dealer' at the end of the listing, so you'll know it's not used stuff.

10. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

I also agree with Big Lots. I bought a couch from there several years ago for a really good price and it was very comfy!!

11. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Try;

Furniture market
    1701 W Market St
    Smithfield, NC 27577
    (919) 934-0551
    Get directions

Sometimes it is hit or miss, but we have gotten lucky in there a few times and have gotten some pretty nice pieces because they had a small scratch. With my family that scratch wont even be noticable in 24 hours!

12. Tweetyluvzme

Is this the same place as Heavner? We love that place! We always go there when we are in the market for furniture!

13. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Yes. You never know what they will have. It is like a treasure hunt. LOL

14. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The main location is in Farmville VA and covers something like 10 buildings including four old tobacco warehouses, but they have a big place in Raleigh too. We got the best deal on some patio furniture in Farmville.

http://www.greenfront.com/

15. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

When I want something I look all over everywhere and I always wind up back at Heavner's. THe prices are good and the quality is not bad either. Some of the clerks are really nice...Make arrangements for a truck or whatever the last time I bought there maybe 3-4 months ago, the delivery charge was $75 and I barely live 5 miles from them.:p

16. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

Wish we had an Ikea here :(

17. lovetherascals

lovetherascals Well-Known Member

IKEA is opening in Charlotte this Wednesday!! I know it's not super-close, but still closer than the next nearest one in DC. Their stuff is nice quality for great prices.

We've had good luck in the past at the Home Comfort Clearance Center on Glenwood in Raleigh. It's new stuff, just maybe the last one in stock, so it's on sale for a clearance price.

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I second this place - we recently bought a tv stand there for $150.00 - (for a large flat screen tv) regular price was $300 and it is very nice, I was tickled to death! :hurray:

19. ebabe 1216

ebabe 1216 Well-Known Member

we got a lovely dinning room set and beautiful livingroom set there, lady was so nice helpful and not pushy can't remember her name, gave us a discount too (or so she claimed) so ask if your buying more than one thing, worse they can say is no. we were very pleased! delivery was nice on time and they set it up where i wanted it!

20. Tweetyluvzme

If you go to Heavner, ask for Janice, she is a delight! She was not pushy and made sure we were very pleased!!