Nurses Stop Here Please

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Mar 2, 2009.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Anyone on here a nurse? I'm thinking of a career change.................actually having one would be nice! Anyone done this recently? Local schools? I'm doing some internet research, but personal experience would be nice!

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I am not a nurse
    but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night

ok, not really, but I passed one. :jester:

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

THAT was helpful, LOL!! :jester:

Apparently you have to get a CNA certification first, I'm still figuring it all out.

4. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

I did not get my nursing degree in North Carolina but my understanding is that the new (? how recent) is that you have to have your CNA prior to being accepted into nursing school. I would call and check with JCC as well as the other local nursing schools and ask about their requirements and prerequisites as well as their waiting list. Then you will know how to proceed towards your goal.

Good luck in your career change. Nursing is a great profession.

Karen

5. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. Grammie

Grammie Guest

My dd went to wake tech for her CNA it was only around $400 plus you need some shots to take the classes. She is CheerBear you can pm her if you want.

7. agoembel

agoembel Well-Known Member

CNA classes

I found this at Johnston Community College, when I went to nursing school they only required CNA I prior to starting the program. It has the price listed and you can find scrubs for a cheap price. Nursing school is very hard, I would advise you to finish all your A&P, English, maths, psy prior to entering the nursing program. You want to concentrate on the nursing program only, as it is very time consuming. In the end it is very worth it! Hope this helps.

http://www.johnstoncc.edu/ConEd/nursing/na.htm

8. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

I am an RN Graduated from Watts School of Nursing in May 2007. What questions do you have? I left a 25 yr Information Technology career to go to school. Even though I make 1/3 of my prior salary, work harder than I have ever worked, I love my job and wouldn't change a thing.

9. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I graduated nursing school last May! It was a midlife career change for me and I am very happy I did it. I went to school in upstate NY so I can't help with that end of it. My nursing school was directly affiliated with a hospital so we could sign a contract to work for 2 years and they paid your tuition! I didn't do it only because I wanted to escape from the snow and cold. I would definitely agree with getting your prerequisites done so you can concentrate on the nursing classes. I can say that I have never regretted my decision. Good Luck.:hurray:

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thanks everyone for the info!! I am in the "thinking about it real hard" stage and these posts are really helping! 8)

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think it is awesome that you are thinking about doing this. People need to think outside the box and that includes me.

Proud of ya',
    Sherry

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, I'm scared, but not getting any younger, LOL. My son is getting old enough to be a bit more self-sufficient. Looks like I've missed any deadlines for this year, but may be able to take some preliminary stuff. I think I need to meet with some sort of admissions counselor. I am completely out of my element here.

13. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

I am 28 years old and I got my CNA through Wake Tech last year. The cost is 130 plus any other expenses such as uniform and book, shoes, etc.. I really enjoyed it. I would go to Wake Tech for your CNA since they offer so many classes. JCC only has 1 class and there is a waiting list for it. Once I got my CNA it took no time at all for me to get a job at a hospital. I LOVE my job and have been there for 10 months. I got my NA II through JCC. To go into Nursing you have to take a nursing seminar which are every few weeks at the college. You should take your classes prior to going to nursing school, it will help you on your HOBBET. I am going to start my classes once all my kids are in school. JCC said since i have been out of school for a while I have to take a placement test to see if I need to re-take any math or english classes before my college math and english. Good luck and maybe I will see you in class in the next year or so. I was a stay at home mom since I was 18. So like you this is ALL new to me as well. Right now I am getting as many certifications as I can hoping that it will help me in nursing. I am now taking phlebotomy. Oh, get your CPR certification, it is 27 dollars at JCC and it is just a 1 day class. If you need anything let me know I have my books and my scrubs for clinical. Good Luck

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've got 10 years on you Cheerbear! LOL THanks for the advice there, I appreciate it.

Anyway, I've spoken to my sis a couple times today, her DH is a nurse, got licensed in VA a couple years ago. She says that some hospitals will help you with tuition if you contract to work for them for a specific time period. Are there programs like that around here? The more I research, the more I am leaning towards something like radiology........................

15. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

you would be awesome in the medical field! so sweet you are!

my mom is an rn and graduated from wake tech.....she does love it!

ultrasound tech would be cool too. there is so much to do in the medical field!

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:oops::oops::oops: You are too kind CF!

One of my first jobs, in what seems like another lifetime, was working for an opthamologist filing and that sort of thing. I think I was 16. Later on, when DH was active duty in the AF, I worked for an optomotrist and did some work with the patients, you know, that preliminary exam where they have you read the eye chart, check you for glaucoma, take your BP, scheduling appts, insurance, etc. I did all that and liked it too. He had a optician on staff, and I was even learning how to grind lenses for glasses, do repairs and that sort of thing. That's something to think about too. You apprentice for that, and I imagine it's way more automated now than it was back in the dark ages. :lol:

17. CrazyFabulous

i have heard several folks lately say they were going into the medical field for the first time or going back to it. smart.....that is one profession that will always be around.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

To be sure! I'm always complaining about the high cost of health care, I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :jester:

19. CrazyFabulous

and you wont have to worry or think much about what to wear to work!

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hmm.............that gets OLD! LOL Had to wear the white pants and the lab coat for the optomotrist job....................got REAL tired of that. Luckily is was in the early 90's, when eveybody was still wearing scrunchies and big, tacky hair bows with ribbons and crap on them. I had a large collection, because that's the only thing we could "dress" up was our hair, which was half way down my back. :jester: