Nurses Stop Here Please

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

I'll graduate from JCC nursing program in a couple of months...it's a tough program. You have 2 choices: 4-year program (ECU or UNC) or a 2-year program (also known as ADN: Associate Degree Nursing). Both are RNs and start at the same salary (assuming no LPN experience). The BSN (4 year) programs are heavy on theory and research, ADN programs do way more clinical (hands-on) hours. I just finished precepting (it's like an internship, but shorter) and I got to do way more skills and interventions than the 4 year students. I know that I love JCCs program and I have a friend at Wake Tech who loves that one... Check to find out what class prerequisites you need (I had to take 2 semesters of Anatomy and Physiology, they counted my high school chemistry so I didn't have to re-take that)...even if it takes you a year to do the prereq's, then do the RN classes, go for it...it is a load of fun...
    It IS hard...I have a B.A. in Psych and that was kindergarten compared to nursing school...you will work for it, but it is worth it!
    Good luck!
    ann

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm loving all this info!! Thank you!

3. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

I know they have something like this in the radiography program. Not sure if it applies to nursing.
    Wake Tech offers a scholars program through Wake Med. They pay for certain things and you work for them during school, and afterward, for a certain amount of time.

When you are choosing your school, one of the most important things to think about is where you'll do your clinicals. Most of the time, this will be your future job pool. Wake Tech works with Wake Med (all the campuses) and Rex. Also a couple of ortho clinics.
    JCC works with Betsy Johnson and Johnston Health. I went to Wake Tech. I loved it. The techs there are so helpful, and you really get hands on experience.

If you're leaning toward radiography, I would NOT recommend the radiology technologist degree only. The market is saturated. There just isn't enough turnaround. Specialize in either MR or CT, or my biggest recommendation, if you can manage it - angio or ultrasound.
    I liked working in the hospitals, but there are a lot of benefits to a slower paced ortho practice; you just don't earn as much an hour.

With radiography, the first thing they want you to do is attend an orientation. Do a lot of research before you go. They really are a bit discouraging at the meeting; they want to make sure you're dedicated.

Good luck! If you decide to go into radiography, PM me. I'll be glad to share what I know with you. I started school in my 30's, and it was the best thing I ever did.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thank you so much!! You guys are all awesome!!

I appreciate everyone's time in making these responses. Truly.

5. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

there is also a third choice...RN Diploma. I graduated from Watts School of Nursing in May 2007 with a diploma and an AS from Mt Olive College. Salary is the same...RN is RN. I graduated when I was 47, so don't let age stop you. Yes, school is tough, clinicals are hell, nursing care plans suck and the instructors hold all the power. That being said, I love what I do, its the most rewarding thing I have ever done and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Don't just look at the community colleges...Watts does not have a waiting list, either you get in or you don't and you take all the prereq at MT Olive in one semester. Watts is the oldest nursing school in the state and one of the oldest in the country. Its expensive but well worth the money, at my age I couldn't wait around on JCC or Wake Tech lists hoping to be selected.

Good luck to you.

6. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

At JCC, I've done my clinicals at WakeMed, Rex and Duke Raleigh. I've also done clinicals at Johnston Memorial and the Women's Prison in Raleigh... All of the colleges have a pretty wide base to choose from when scheduling clinicals. The Scholars program at WakeMed is open to all nursing students (we have JCC students in the program). Many hospitals will pay toward your education if you agree to work there afterwards.
    Unfortunately, the nursing profession is beginning to see a hit d/t the financial situation. Rex had hired new grads in December and then 'un-hired' them, claiming a hiring freeze. There are fewer fellowship/internship positions available for new grads, so there's a little more competition out there.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I saw this on FB and thought of you! :lol::lol:

8. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

My DH is considering going through for MRI or Ultrasound. He has a 4 yr BS degree...do you think he would still need to take the math, english, and psychology classes? Of course, he couldn't get in last night's info session. Does anyone know how often they hold those sessions?

9. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

If you went to college long time ago, they may have to test you for English and Math to see if you remember it or anything you haven't learn back then. I went to college in late 80's, got a degree, and then I applied for college admission in the early 2000. Took the test and was told that I need to take some math, like Algebra II.

I took Human Anatomy and Physiology and I failed it. It was the most difficult course I've ever took because this course requires you to memorize everything, like name EACH bone. I felt that it was the wrong time for me to take this course because I just had a baby at that time (of course with no rest and stuff!). If my child is older, I think I shouldn't have any problem with studying.

Good luck in your nursing profession! :)

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Yea kdc, you go girl, what an honorable profession:hurray::hurray::hurray:

11. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to add....something you might not like to read this: you may require to dissect an animal. In my Anatomy and Physiology class, we had to dissect feral cats and baby pigs. I do not know what Wake Tech and JCC provide, but just thought I warn you in case you're squeamish.

12. nc911flygirl

nc911flygirl Member

I have been a registered nurse for the past 11 years - if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. It is an awesome job! Recession-proof and very rewarding!

13. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

No dissections at Wake Tech. Thank God.

But if you go into radiology, you have to do barium enemas. [​IMG]

14. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My daughter has wanted to become a nurse since she was about 7 and is a junior in high school. She hopes to go to JCC Middle College High next year so she can get a head start on the prerequisites she will need before deciding which nursing school to attend. She did her graduation paper on the nursing shortage and based on her findings, the shortage is projected to continue and worsen. Of course, doctors offices and hospitals are cutting back on hiring (as all employers are doing-more work, less people) but projections are still that it is a very sound career choice. All of this info on this thread has been very helpful!

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

My dd did these and other animal parts the other week in their anatomy class at HS! SHe actually found it very interesting. She's taking the Health Occupations(?) class and they're doing their clinicals now at a local nursing home and so far, so good! At the end of this semester she'll be qualified to take the test for CNA, which she hopes to get job doing this summer. :)

16. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Saw this on another group. It almost sounds to good to be true but is worth exploring.

17. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Dern that is pretty good. Sure wish JCC would do something like that.