Flowers/shrubs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mom2~1boy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. seabee

seabee Guest

Love them because leaves change color textures and most will flower twice a year or more.. :cheers:

2. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

yep I will I am going to call a few places today and see what the going prices are and I will let ya know :)

3. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

do they keep the same color all year long?

4. seabee

seabee Guest

not really the leaves will change color texture from green to purpleish to bronze shade at different times.. Now there are many varieties of them also so not sure how others are.

The actual purple leave ones are cool too which Lowes and most nursery's carry..

5. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I love that place - If you take 70 west and get on 50/Benson Road, drive a few miles, it'll be on your right. The name is Lakeview Dayliliy and is owned by Noel Weston. When I used to go, he had Canna Lilies, hosta and daylilies. It is best to go early in the morning. I'm not sure if they changed how they operate but it used to be you would pick out the varieties you wanted, handed in your list, the list was given to the digger. At the time I went, there were only four diggers so there was a wait time. I always hung around for my order -- it was so worth it. There are even a few Koi ponds onsite. website is http://www.weston-farms.com/daylilies

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

M21B-

Yea, that's pretty much what they look like and the multiply like bunnies.

Just let me know when you're ready, and maybe we'll make a day out of it, my mom's house, then HG's moms house (cause I want some flowers too!)

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

No offense, but I'm not digging ONE flower out of the ground at your moms! :lol::lol::lol:

YOu know if I look at poison ivy, i'll get it! :boxing:

*see* you later! :mrgreen:

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've gone a few times each year over the last few years, and they don't have much on the Hostas.. but i love walking the rows looking at the daylillies! I'm always armed with the list of what I already have and their catalog. They do have a good selection of canna's too. Early in the morning is best, it gets hot out there in that field. And they do still have the diggers that ride around on their golf carts, I've even got to ride a few times and pick out my own clumps.

Their daughter has started her own "farm" and is working with alot of varieties of Japanese Maples too.

9. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

yeah :hurray::hurray: that would be great, and I promise I dont mind getting poison! I am ready this year for it.

10. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

thank you very much!

11. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I just noticed the size of these things. they are huge, I dont need anything that big, but I am assuming I can keep them trimmed back or do they have a dwarf size?

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'm getting ready to pull the Boxwoods out from infront of my porch. I'm thinking of replacing them with either Firepower Nandina's or a mid-size Gardenia. I think we are going to go to Broadwells this weekend and take a looksie at what they've got.

13. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

HG- I promise I won't ask you to dig any flowers, but I did notice the other day that the Japanese Maple has a ton of seedlings coming up.....

Y'all just let me know when.

Not tomorrow though, I'm gonna till up my garden if it's nice enough.

14. seabee

seabee Guest

question there miss piggy??? lol will the nandinas be big enough to fill that area height wise...

15. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I like the Nandina's as well!

16. seabee

seabee Guest

They can handle the cutting back and shaping just fine but do prefer to just grow and flow with minimum trimming... I'm sure there are types that stay a little smaller than others they average probably up to 6-7' best I remember..

Abelias are great to and have fragrances to the flowers..

Also Roses luv sun... the rose of sharon types are great and hardy..

17. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

thanks, I need something to go in front of the house, but I HATE boxwoods, they where the first to go when I tore up the beds...

18. seabee

seabee Guest

same here hooked the truck up to them and pulled away and threw them on the fire pile...

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Well thats part of the problem and why the boxwoods need to go, I think they are too tall and want something shorter so that you can see my front porch railings. Maybe make my front porch look a little bigger if not dwarfed by such full/tall/round bushes.

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We had more boxwoods along the side of our house when we first bought it, the house was already 9 years old at that time. A couple of them got ate up by spider-mites really bad and about died off. I had DH jerk those out and he built me some raised flower beds that I filled with bulbs. I have the most awesome asiatic lillies in huge clumps.