Flowers/shrubs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mom2~1boy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. seabee

seabee Guest

I get it... just those nandinas are slow and low LOL but they are pretty... what about those Rose of sharons, pretty showy and not excessively high..
    Pretty flowers thru out spring and summer...

2. seabee

seabee Guest

I have a lot of stuff planted all over and I rarely paid full price for anything I shouldn't give this up but Lowes is good for the discount rack in the back on stuff. I've gotten nice size roses for 5 bucks before in the larger pots, they will put stuff back there after they flower out and change their seasonal bushes,flowers,trees and all. Really good deals. There is never a set schedule so you never know what they have unless you look when there..

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I have some of those between the neighbors house and ours, mine are tall though. Maybe its the variety they are? They were also there when we bought the house, so I don't know which ones they are exactly.

I want something with a good contrast to the varigated loriope (sp?) and the purple heart that are at the front of those beds.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

or if you live in the Cleveland sch area, just head towards Garner on 50, it will be on the left, a little past the funeral home.

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

DH bought a few pots of Boston Ivy that were marked down to $2 from the clearance racks a few years back, and it tried to take over the side of my house. Infact, I still have little "sucker marks" where it was attached. Even a power washing and scrubbing won't get them gone. :evil:

6. seabee

seabee Guest

Check out the Abelias, they have the fragrance when they flower which would be good close to the porch.. The height I'm not 100 percent certain of...

7. seabee

seabee Guest

Ivy's can be very agressive and hard to control...

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll put it on the list to check out. :cheers:

9. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

http://www.humeseeds.com/efabelia.htm

the smaller one is 3 to 4 feet which is pretty good..

10. seabee

seabee Guest

8)8) there is just so much stuff out there its hard to keep up with how big some of these things grow...

11. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

yep, I know.. To much to pick from, I want it all. LOL

12. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Ok so here is my list of places to call for my shrubs..

Lowe's
    Swift Creek
    Lee's produce
    Charlynn
    Broadwells
    Stephensons

anywhere to call and get a price quote

thanks

13. lightningmcqueen

lightningmcqueen Well-Known Member

Countryside Nursery

My entire neighborhood goes to Countryside in Kenly. Take 42 east (about 15 miles from the intersection of 70) to Rt. 222 on the right. She's about a mile down on the left.

Sandra grows everything herself and it's all native to NC. She knows her stuff and her plants are CHEAP! $2 azaleas, $8 crepe mertals, $10 cyprus trees. I get my hanging baskets for $8 around Mother's Day. She's the best! You won't find a nicer, more knowledgeable person or better prices.

14. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

thanks, I will give her a call!

15. jen-jen

jen-jen Member

TREES

HELLO EVERYONE,
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE NAME OF THE TREES THAT ARE ALL OVER US70 IN CLAYTON AND GARNER. THEY ARE WHITE LOOKING FLOWERS. eVEN SAW SOME PINK ONES. PLEASE HELP.:hurray:

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Are they the ones that bloom around July and last for awhile? Because they would be the Crepe Myrtle that you are asking about.

17. seabee

seabee Guest

Possibly Cherry's or dogwoods... if flowering now...

18. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

What size azaleas (1gal,3 gal, 5 gal)?

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Mostly what I have seen along 70 are the Bradford pear trees (white). The pink ones may be the cherry trees or there is also a non-fruit plum tree that has a pretty pink blossom.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Don't buy bradford pear trees for your yard, they smell like **** when they are in bloom (for about 2 weeks) :ack::ack:

I like Tulip trees. Full sun - they like it HOT!