Kids riding in the front seat.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rushlow2004, Mar 24, 2009.

1. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

I can remember doing that myself. I think the main differences are, first of all there were no major highways back then with idiots driving 100mph cutting you off, weaving in and out of traffic. Second, everyone (mostly) drove the speed limit and with great caution. Third, people in general were just not as rude and disrespecful especially on the roads. All of course just my two cents worth.

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I think (hope) we're all smart enough on here to know that most of what our parents did back when isn't acceptable nowadays, for whatever reason. My mom used to have a car that would not start once she turned it off, so she'd leave me in it while going into the store, with it running, when I was about 8. But I'd be caught dead before I'd do that with my kids! I didn't sit in a carseat either, and yep, I survived, but I'm not going to let my kids ride without one to see "if" they survive...rather not take the chance!

My mom also smoked while she was pregnant with me, and I turned out fine (well, in my opinion anyway :lol:), but I wouldn't recommend doing that either.

3. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

LOL! Same here! Times have changed. Many things I do a whole lot different than my parents!

4. michellegrl77

michellegrl77 Well-Known Member

I agree that I wouldnt do some things my parents did ONLY bc of how cruel this world is now and there are so many more cars on the roads now BUT as far as anything else goes I would raise my kids JUST like my mom and dad did me! I turned out GREAT (IMO) :lol:

5. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

This covers (in red) up to 5, they have to be in the rear

6. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

When I got pulled over for speeding last month, the VERY FIRST THING the officer did, before even speaking to me, was look in the back seat to see if my kids were properly restrained. I know, because that's the first thing he said to me, is that I had them all in properly. Phew!

I think I might be a little crazy about all this because 5 years ago our close friends lost their 9 yo daughter in a car accident. She was in the backseat, with a seat belt, but it still makes you think of all these things when something like that hits so close to home.

7. browns rule

browns rule Guest

Mine is still in a booster seat......he is 8 1/2 but he does not weigh 80 pounds yet. Doesn't weight and height, not really age, have a lot to do with the safety? I know one big reason to use the booster seat is so the seat belt doesn't go across their neck because they're too short.

8. turtlepits

Booster seats are not SAFE!!! The ones with just the base and the piece that goes across their lap.

My son was in a booster seat when I got into a car accident a few years ago. My car got hit and we did a 360 in the middle of the road. The impact was so hard it slung my son into the window on the side he was sitting on and then completely out of the booster seat and into the floor on the opposite side he was sitting. My son older than him was wearing his seat belt and didn't even budge. He had to help his little brother out of the floor.
    They were both OK, just the goose egg on the youngest ones head from hitting the window. I ended up buying a new car seat that was one complete piece and he rode in that until he was big enough to fit in a regular seat belt.......

FYI...........Hwy Patrol said once a kids car seat has been involved in an accident, that car seat can not be used again, even if it wasn't damaged....... so be careful on buying used car seats!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. seabee

seabee Guest

yes ma'am....

10. browns rule

browns rule Guest

OK.....question....My son has the booster seat, just the base, but he uses the van's seatbelt and it goes across his waist and his chest. Isn't that safe?

11. turtlepits

I'd invest in one that is one piece with a back .

This is the exact one he had in the accident:
    [​IMG]

This is like the one I bought to replace it:
    [​IMG]

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:oops:Oh, wow, my son had two of the top one, one for each car. :? So now, he'll be 10 in a couple months, but only weighs 63 pounds, however he is tall for his age and the seatbelts hit him where they are supposed too, across his hips and across his chest. He ALWAYS rides in the back of whatever vehicle. There has only been one instance where he rode up front and I was a nervous wreck the whole time, and it was for about a mile. :oops:

13. wolfcub

If your keeping 10 year olds in a booster for safety that's fine but oyu do realize 8 or 80 is whicever comes first so if they are 10 then the booster is no longer needed.

14. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My son is 9, only weighs about 65 pounds (not sure exactly, but he's been losing weight due to meds he's on, he was 66 last time we checked), and when the cop pulled me over he said it was fine that he wasn't in a booster. Just fyi. He's not tall for his age either, average height. But the seat belt seems to fit him fine.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but DS is not in a booster and hasn't been since he was 8.

16. wolfcub

LOL!!! Okay no worries!!! Mine is 6 and due to his size he may be in a seat the rest of his life for safety!!! LOL!! He got him Momma's genes in the height category.

17. Debyan

Debyan Well-Known Member

Come on now seat belts were not in more than the more expensive carsuntil after 1972, my parents didn't even have them. First they were manditory to be available in the cars for use but not manditory to be used for maybe another ten years. When my kids were driving with me it wasn't manditory , but i loved them I would put them in their seat belts and make them stay right there and don't even touch each other . i would say We don't fight in the car it could cause an accident . i always wondered how many accidents happened when a parent was turned around telling their kids to stop arguing" RIGHT NOW"

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

He's so freaking skinny, it probably wouldn't hurt, other than his pride, LOL. :jester:

19. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Not only does a woman on our street let her little ones ride up front, she lets them stand up on the console and front (bucket seat) and hand out the sunroof as she drives along. We have seen this more than once and are absolutely stunned that she would risk their lives this way. Why isn't there a test before you have children.

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Call the law everytime she does it. It's not her kids fault she is an idiot. Their blood will be on her hands should something happen, but you are in a position to help prevent it. I call the law every single time I see a child unrestrained, it's a shame I care more about some stranger's child than they do.

I also don't agree with kids riding in front seats - the safest place for anybody in an automobile is the backseat. My kids are my most precious cargo. Besides, if they are in the back and you turn up the radio you can barely hear them. Awesome!! My son didn't get to ride in the front until he was 10 and he was probably over a hundred pounds at that point.