A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

...so... I met this lady at the gym today... She was really surprised when she asked if I was a native North Carolinian and I said yes. She's here from Pittsburgh. ... Imagine that. ... ...I'm so out numbered.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You mean you didn't have grits flying out of your mouth.

That is one reason we are back in North Carolina, a lot of folks assume if your from the South you are an idiot. It was a bit much for her, if someone draws the same conclusions with me I typically try and take advantage of it.

3. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

My baby finally read a 16 today and I am so happy I could cry! :hurray::hurray:

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm done uploading pix on FB.

I should probably go to bed. :? :cheers:

5. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

What does "read a 16" mean? (I'm assuming it's a school thing I haven't heard about since I don't have one in school yet.) Either way, when mama's proud of her baby it's always cause to celebrate :hurray::cheers:

6. harleygirl

The *peoples* comments on the wral site just make me wanna jump thru the computer screen!!!

Buncha dam rejects.

7. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

:iagree: That's why I only look at certain articles.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Keep reading. Y'all made it to an "S-" if that's end of year, it should be an "S" for third Qtr.

Now that the "reading lamp" is lighted....keep kiddo reading aloud to you..and push on to a 24. We'll make you a promise. Kiddo hits 24, we'll make a personalized book with kiddo's name as the hero of the story.

C6 is available for tutoring this summer K-4th, reading, writing, and math....

And, again, congrats....:hurray:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Outnumbered, but not alone. ;)

10. kookookacho

Thanks Hat, That is such a generous offer that I would love to take you up on! He has always loved books and loves for me to read to him AND loves to read he just struggles with some things like sounding out words and such. He gets distracted with the pictures, thinks of a similar story while reading then wants to share, etc. Then to compound it, he's the youngest in his class. Reading is his only shortcoming. He is AWESOME in math & a brilliant speller. Thanks so much for the kind words, though!:)

Volley - Level 16 is the golden mark for 1st grade. They really want 18 but 16 is the bottom line cut off. The kids have to read on certain levels to make an "S" on their report card. In the beginning of the year I think most kids are at a Level 8 (maybe) Once you hit Level 10 he's timed and you have to read 100 words in 3 mins. With him being easily distracted, that has been a tough challenge for him. And since he's been struggling we've been on shakey ground wondering if he was going to make the mark to go to 2nd. He has made leaping improvements just in the past two weeks and I am almost in tears I'm so happy. I think moreso because I struggled myself with reading and spelling when I was his age but I was pushed and now I LOVE to read. I still suck at spelling though! And kiddo knows that and I use that as a tool. I tell him one day very soon... you'll spell better than Mama. It drives him to want to spell better than me! :lol:

11. harleygirl

You'd think we were having a par-tay over here. :lol:

12. seabee

seabee Guest

What??? where was my invite..:evil: :jester:

13. harleygirl

DH & BIL were making fun of Obama while watching the news this am.

Boys. :lol:

14. seabee

seabee Guest

well I could've fit in well than... LOL

15. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

16. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

That's great. I've never heard of timing before. I would not do well with that. It would make me so nervous! So awesome he has come so far. Should be a breeze for him now. And you've obviously done a wonderful job helping him along the way. :cheers:

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

that is so awesome Koo:hurray::hurray::hurray: if he is anything like my ADHD son, once that lightbulb goes off for reading, he will be flying reading so fast, the amazing things about kids like that is that their mind works so much faster than normal. Not saying your son is ADHD, just with the distraction comment, it reminded me of how easily destracted my son was:hurray:

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's great news Koo! :hurray::hurray::hurray: I am so happy my son loves to read as well. I keep telling him that reading will take him wherever he wants to go. We will be spending a lot of time at the library this summer. Apparently I also had some difficulty learning, but once I did, there was no holding me back.

19. kookookacho

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kiddo was ADHD. I swear I am/was and he acts a lot like I did growing up. :lol:

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

yep me too, was no surprise 2 of 3 of my boys were:lol: