Clayton Farm and Community Market

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Apr 3, 2009.

1. seabee

seabee Guest

now there is a voice of reason.. 8)

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I went with my daughter, wore a light jacket and was very comfortable. It was a lovely, stress-free morning, and I plan on going back often.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:hurray: I don't have a dog in the hunt, but dern! It sure would be nice to have a place close by to get that sort of thing.

5. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I'll definitely go back. I don't see anything wrong with telling it like it is though. They're going to need more foot traffic to attract more vendors. It might be helpful if they paired it with a flea market. They could charge individuals selling used goods a smaller rate than those selling new. More sellers will attract more buyers and vice versa. On the way to and from the market we saw lots of people having 'yard sales' in parking lots (which is something we'd never seen before...up north the police would have fined you and sent you on your way). If they could get some of those people to set up shop at the market, it would be beneficial to everyone. I think that being in a smaller market necessitates them thinking outside of the box. It's not always true that if you build it they will come.

6. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

If they did that, I wouldn't go.
    Just my opinion. I think they've tried those mass flea markets before, and I don't know what the outcome was. I may be in the minority, however. I don't like yard sales or flea markets.
    I love the idea of a farmer's market in Clayton, and I hope it gets the time it needs to develop a following and attract vendors and consumers. I hadn't heard anything about it prior to the day it was held, so I wasn't able to go. I will definitely be going in the future to check it out, however. We have so many local farmers that sell produce in Raleigh, I'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch to have them sell a little closer to home.

7. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

If it was cold when you went on Saturday you must have been there early. High temperature on Saturday was 74. I was there about 10:00 am in shorts and I was comfortable. Please no flee market. Give Clayton a true "Farmers Market" and the citizens will come. If it is no better than the 1st day it will not be a success.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Up north... lol

Seriously, the amount of money people make at yardsales around here sometimes would not justify them paying a fee to participate in a flea market. Up north, you also have to have a license to have a yard sale - no?

Clayton is a small town, the farmer's market is just getting started. That was day one, and alot of folks (farmers and customers alike) had no clue it was there or going on.

9. seabee

seabee Guest

:iagree:

Patience is a virtue you all... give it time.. Farmers Markets aren't built over a week-end... it'll take time but will be worth it if the Debbie downers don't take it down before than...

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It was cold when I was up freezing my butt off at 6:00 am setting up my apparently despised yardsale, LOL. I made quite a bit of money, btw, and glad the haters stayed away. :mrgreen:

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

we always called them Garage Sales... and no, never had to have a permit.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

So how much of your yard did you actually get sold, and how much per square foot did you get?

Craig

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Now you know why people stopped having Garage Sales! 8)

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol::lol::lol:

15. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Opens tomorrow! Can't wait ... love going to the local farmer's market every weekend!!

From the newsletter:

100 West Main Street, Clayton, N.C.
    Corner of W. Main and O'Neil St.
    Opening Day: April 14, 2012, 9 am - 2 pm

16. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:hurray:

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

It was beautiful out there this morning!

:hurray:

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Bought fresh bread, tomatoes, spinach, asparagus, strawberries ... and sampled a bunch of other things!! Yummm!!

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

more farmy, less crafty, plz

20. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I agree. The times we have been there in the summer there were very little in the way of fresh vegetables. Did not go by there today but did make a run out to Porter Farms for strawberries and cabbage. Both were great!