Anyone participate in a food co-op?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cathy0517, Apr 5, 2009.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I am looking for more information on programs where you prepay a farmer and get weekly deliveries of veggies, fruits etc. I am not sure if co-op is the right name for it though. Anyone have experience with this? I would like to support local farmers and eat healthier at the same time. We are a family of 4, I would like to compare costs to see if it would be a savings also. Looking forward to your replies!:?:

2. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

You can check this website, they do have some local CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture) that you can buy a "subscription" to. It's basically committing a certain amount to a local farmer in return for fresh produce/meat. There are several available in Johnston County.

http://www.localharvest.org/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

4. cathy0517

5. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

This week is the first box. If we had not dealt with them in the past it would have been an easy decision as the cost is low. We have been getting Strawberries and other stuff from them for years so we anticipate it being very high quality.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thanks so much for posting this, just made the call and pick up my first box on Wed - love Smith's nursery:hurray::hurray::hurray:

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Yep, yep! Me too - excited for Wed! :hurray:

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

are you going to the gym to pick up?? might see ya there is you are:hurray:

9. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Just called and set up for my box to be picked up. I am so excited. And, you can also pick up at the nursery. We live right around the corner, so it is perfect. Can't wait to share how the veggies are.

10. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

I just called and signed up today too, and I'll get my first box on Wed. I'm so excited! I remember reading about this kind of thing in a blog or artical and thinking what a great idea it is. Never even thought to ask if there was one around here. So glad this was posted. Thanks!

-K

11. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I signed up too!! Yea. Of course as soon as I move OFF the road Smith's is on, I find this. But thanks, we are excited and love to help a local business.

12. bandmom

yep, not sure what time I'll go tho.... does anyone know where we'll pick up from, front/back??

13. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread!

I used the localharvest link to look for a CSA closer to the north side of Clayton. I knew about the others but 30 mins to me is to far to drive. Found a new CSA (link below) in their first year on Powhatan Rd. Gonna give it a whirl! Thanks again!

http://tayleeorganics.com/default.aspx

14. cathy0517

I better get in gear and sign up! Thanks everyone you've convinced me!

15. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

love it!!!

WOW!!!!! i just sighned up also, this is the greatest thing i have ever happened on. i am so glad you all know what is going on out there, sometimes i feel like i am left out of the link to this kind of thing. I want to thank you for making tis information available to nuckleheads like me.
    GAM

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

see ya tomorrow then and you can run by the house after:cheers:

17. bandmom

From their email: I just hope they have enough produce to supply us all!

Thanks to everyone for spreading the word! Our membership has almost doubled for next week's boxes!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :hurray:

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray: so who all is going to be at DanceArt tonite for pickup? i'll be there and if ya wanna say hi that would be great.

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Let me know what ya'll get.

I sen't the link to *R* and we might to in together.

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

you can go on their website and look at the order form for next week and it lists what is in the boxes for next week, i am just curious about quantity but will find out tonite.