Churches - Where to go?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by crazymom2girls, Apr 16, 2009.

1. My husband and I have been living in the Cleveland area for almost 2 years. We've visited several churches, but haven't found THE one yet. Anyone go to a church they really love?! By the way, we've been to C3. It's nice, but we are looking for something that combines tradition and contemporary and something not quite that big. Any churches with a good Praise Team (not just a choir)? We are looking for either a Southern Baptist or non-denominational. Thanks!

Crazymom

2. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Oh Boy, do a search, not going into this subject again. ; O

4. Have been searching

I have done a search! That's why I'm asking people around the area. I've found out too many times you can't judge a church by it's website! Has anyone been to Friendship Baptist Church near McGees Crossroads or New Bethel in Garner on Hwy 50? There are two we are planning to visit.

5. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Come visit Turner Memorial Baptist on 50 in Garner. It's SB w/ a mix of contemporary and traditional music w/ a praise team and sometimes a choir, too. We have 3 services (8:30, 9:45, and 11:00). 9:45 is best for finding empty seats! Hopefully whne we get our new church down the street (more room!) we can go back to 2 services.

All I can tell you about New Bethel is Turner is an offshoot of it. They had a church split waay back (1959-1960), and some of the members left and formed Turner down the road.

6. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Shiloh Baptist is nice.

Community Baptist is nice.

Southside Christian I heard is very nice (off of White Oak)

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

8. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Johnson Memorial Church on Hwy 20. Our 11am service is a mix of traditional and contemporary, but as of last Sunday, we started an 8:30 contemporary service and it was awesome. You should check us out. We have lots of age groups. Very young, up to any older age. Lots of groups starting for Bible Study and other things like that.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Define contemporary! My church is probably unlike any you have been too! :mrgreen:

10. contemporary/traditional

Well, here's the thing. My husband prefers a more traditional church and I kind of like the contemporary church, but I also love the old hymns. That's why we were looking for a mixture. We were both involved in the music ministry at our old church so that's why the music is really important to us. We are not picky about the denomination as long as the people have a real love for Jesus. That's the most important thing to us.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well the music definitely happens at my church, and I consider it contemporary (whatever that means), but my church probably would not be a good fit for you! :mrgreen:

12. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Hey CrazyMom my hubby & I are the same way! We have found a great combination at Plymouth Church off of Rock Service Station Rd.(towards Garner) We would love for you to visit one Sunday. Feel free to PM me for more info. Their website is www.Plymouthchurchonline.com

Good Luck!

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt you mean the same thing by "contemporary." 8)

14. Hught, out of curiosity...

Where do you go? We might have visited there before. We've been to all kinds of churches around here - very radical to very traditional. We've noticed one thing in common with a lot of the newer contemporary churches - kind of funny (not complaining) - the pastor wears a button up shirt not tucked in and jeans, he has a head set, maybe a goatee or spikey hair - just an observation. It's like the the new pastor dress code!

15. Sassygurl81

Sassygurl81 Well-Known Member

16. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

I second TMBC. Been going there for about a year now, and love it. The pastor and the people are wonderful.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of RaleighAlthough we do have a few traditional Christians, the majority of us revere Jesus of Nazareth as a great teacher and man. We tend not to believe all that supernatural stuff written about him.

18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Sister, I saw your post earlier and have been thinking about a response.

I'm reminded of a short devotion I read sometime back from Dr. Adrian Rogers. The scripture verse was:

"But whoso keepeth His word, in Him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him." 1 John 2:5

Dr. Rogers went on to explain this further:

The word "keepeth" in 1 John is a derivative of a word that sailors used years ago to refer to their practice of steering their course by "keeping" the stars.

This did not mean, of course, that a sailor would not be blown off course or that he might not oversteer. It didn't mean that he might not nod at the wheel and somehow be distracted or fail to keep a perfect chart.

But the goal, the aim, the desire, and the controlling principle in his life were those stars. He knew that in them, he could find direction to his destination.

In the same way, John says God's commandments are to be the standard by which you and I chart our courses in life.

- - - - - - -

I'm sure you and your husband are prayerfully considering where the Lord would have you to go, and asking for suggestions here is certainly a way to get some leads.

Do consider that the Holy Spirit may be guiding you somewhere that may be out of your comfort zone, which has certainly happened on many occasion with me.

It's amazing what happens when we just simply say to God, "Here I am, Lord, send me."

No conditions, no restrictions.

19. Restrictions?

We do want to go where the Lord leads us. I think it is wise though to have some restrictions. I believe that Jesus is the One and Only Son of God and that there is no way to Heaven but through Him. I cannot go to a church who believes otherwise. Believe me, we have been to non-denominational, Baptist and Assembly of God churches. I grew up in an Assembly of God church, I was a member of a Baptist church until we moved to this area. I am not about the denomination, I am about a church who puts Jesus first. There are so many churches around this area. Why not find the best fit? By the way, I know all about the Unitarian Universalist church - you are right. I don't want to go anywhere that doesn't believe Jesus is the only to heaven. If that's a restriction, I'm guilty!

The only reason I posted on this discussion board was to find out about some of the churches around here that we haven't been to. I'm not trying to find the perfect church - just one that fits.

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i know exactly what you are saying, i am still looking too so if you find something that feels like a good fit, please let me know. When i started at C3 8 years ago, it felt like a wonderful fit, but it grew so big and commercial, i just did not feel like it was going where i felt God was calling me and have been searching for a place to feel at home ever since.