Churches - Where to go?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by crazymom2girls, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It's not an Urban Legend. Part of the membership process is to provide your tax records from the year before. I have heard this from more than one source. You are absolutely right, KDs. Tithing is on an honor system - between you and God. Asking for financial docs sounds more like a business than a house of the Lord.

Tithing is between you and God. If you have $$ to spare or none at all - God knows if you are doing all you can to give back. He also knows when you need to be the recipient and not the giver. Jesus said a rich man cannot get into heaven, this means that if you are being selfish/stingy/greedy and putting more importance on wealth you are hurting yourself spiritually - you are putting money and things before God.

I visited C3 once because I wanted to see for myself. I know some nice folks who go to C3 - it just wasn't the church for me. When they brought out the buckets for the offering, I was out of there!

2. Church Alive

I wasn't saying the new pastor dress code is wrong. I'm sorry I wrote that before. I just thought it was interesting how there was a common theme. We actually visited Church Alive one Sunday. I liked it okay, but my husband wasn't crazy about how long the music lasted. The music went from 10:00 - 11:00 and the service from 11:00 -noon. I'm not sure if that's typical, but it was bit too much for the hubby. Otherwise, the pastor was good and the kids were well taken care of.

3. This is so true! We've visited churches that our friends just love, but we get there and it's not the same for us. We visited a church one time (I'm not going to name it because I don't want to bash a church) where no one welcomed us or even gave us a bulletin! The service was really cold too. We felt like we were at a funeral. This church came highly recommended by some friends. So ya never know! I have learned one thing from visiting all of these churches, that there are many, many, many fine Christians around our area. They may worship in different ways, but they do love the Lord and it shows.

4. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

very well put cleo!

<----tongue is bleeding from biting it!

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Sorry.. all I have is cartoon character bandaids. :lol:

[​IMG]

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Wow, things really have changed. i was a member back when first started and never was i asked for W2s, etc. i haven't been in a couple of years for personal reasons but i am really shocked they would ask for that but i can see it knowing the direction i felt the church was going when i stopped going.

7. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We go to Greater Heights UMC. They are a very contemporary church and meet in the Clayton Center. www.greaterheightsumc.com We always feel very welcome there and Pastor Matt's message is always uplifting and inspirational.

8. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

Did you visit a new church yesterday? Just curious, but you don't have to answer.

9. yesterday

Oh yeah! We were going to go to one church but we changed our minds at the last minute because we were going out of town yesterday afternoon and needed to go to an early service. The last post I read before I went to bed Saturday night was from someone recommending the First Baptist Church of Garner. Since they were one of the only churces with a 9:00 service that's close to our house, we decided to go there. We really liked it! The music was nice too. We're still going to try a few of the others, but the pastor was great. He did preach from the Word and was easy to understand. We're still thinking of going to Shiloh and Plymouth too because they are the closest churches to us that were recommended. Clayton is a little too far for us unless it's on the side of Clayton near 40/42. I've told some other people that we don't mind driving to a church but we want to make sure there aren't any closer to home first. We want to be involved which would involve driving more that just on Sunday mornings! By the way, I've been reading all the posts about C3. I have a good friend that goes there and loves it. She's not a member yet. I wonder if she knows about the W2 forms! That would be worth investigating. That's not what a church is supposed to do if the rumors are correct. Tithing is between you and God.

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I just asked a co-worker that goes to C3 and they do require your W2 when you fill out membership forms.

11. seabee

seabee Guest

Shiloh is comparable to First Baptist.. give it a try.

12. CrazyFabulous

LOL! mental pic of the kid that stuck his tongue to a flag pole in the Christmas story!

13. CrazyFabulous

ask them if they do not tith if they are asked to leave? i heard that too.

14. KellBell

how would they know if you tithed or not?

I asked and she said she has not seen or heard that...then she asked the same question as above. :?

15. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

no they dont, that is not even legal unkess u give them permission.

16. seabee

seabee Guest

if you don't give permission than I guess you don't become a member...

17. KellBell

bingo.

18. Jason

Jason Member

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

contribution statements

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've REALLY been trying to give C-3 the benefit of the doubt. It's getting a whole lot tougher. :?