Tick Bites

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Apr 21, 2009.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm sorry you've had to go through all that. Can it be treated successfully after all that time?

2. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Wow! Interesting, thanks for sharing garnet. I had never heard of the thread and straw method, I have to keep that in mind, but ick....I want the thing dead not still creepy crawling...

3. me&them

me&them Well-Known Member

My 19mth old Daughter had three of the little ones on her Easter Sunday. She got really sick Monday night with a high fever. Took her to the doctor on Tues, when we got there her fever was 103.8. They took blood to test for Rocky Mount Spotted fever. She was given a shot of antibiotics and sent home with some as well. Doctor's aren't sure yet if that's what it is or just a bad bug. Test should be back next week. She's covered by the antibiotics that she's on now if it is.

I never knew that you should keep them. I will for now on.

4. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I hope it's just a bug!! :grouphug:

5. seabee

seabee Guest

Well she should be re-tested for it...

6. me&them

They just did the test yesterday so it hasn't come back yet.

7. seabee

seabee Guest

I know it could be to early for it to show up. But it does sound as if doc was pro-active if proper medication was prescribed.

8. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

Considering I'm up right walking around and going to homes without mask on now ... ;) I'd say yes. IF you go the right doctor.

It's cost me an arm and a leg to get well, but I am on my way to "remission."

9. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

It's the trick my LLMD (lyme literate medical doctor) uses I believe. The *only* reason I recommend keeping them alive in a baggy with a moist cotton ball is that there is a lab in California that can test them for diseases. It costs around 350 to test for about 5 illnesses.

http://www.igenex.com

This is also the best lab for blood testing for people too.

10. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you found three ticks on your daughter. One thing to know is that more than likely your test will come back negative. It may not actually be accurate. In fact, Tests are often wrong.

http://jmgarnet76.blogspot.com/2009/04/explaining-lyme-tests.html

That is a blog I wrote on explaining why Lyme tests are often wrong.

Now with a fever that high, more than likely it's RMSF. However, Babesia (another tick borne illness) can cause a high fever as well. Babesia is a tick borne infection that is a common co-infection of Lyme Disease.

11. me&them

So how do you tell if you have it or not?

I'm praying that it's just a bad bug that she had and nothing else. RMSF is treated by antibiotics right?

I'm going to go read your blog right now.

12. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

I'm going to send you a private message. It's *very* difficult to find out. Best way is to find a Lyme Literate Doctor.

but I'm going to contact you to find out what ABX (antibiotics) your daughter is on.

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The "T" in "Hught" stands for Toxic, one of those suckers bite me they are going to die! :mrgreen:

14. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

My "joke" is ... well if a Tick Bites me and I already have Lyme Disease .. will they get it and die? :D

15. seabee

seabee Guest

looks like garnet will cover a lot of your questions, RMSF is treated with same meds as Lyme they are very similar in symptoms but like garnet knows Lyme stays with you.

16. toocool8

toocool8 Member

I hope she's okay---I'll have her in my prayers. Ticks are so nasty.