Churches - Where to go?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by crazymom2girls, Apr 16, 2009.

1. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

ok - i'll bite - since when is a church that does not allow dancing or or allow you to wear pants coool? why would you go there? Does not wearing pants make you closer to God? I really do not understand this.
    And What is wrong with dancing - it all depends on how you dance. Some style are wrong but surely not all....
    - just curious...

2. :iagree:
    I can't imagine God caring one way or the other what you wear or if you dance! As long as you are worshipping Him! Do you think that people in parts of the world that don't have "church clothes" love the Lord any less? There are people I know right here in NC who don't go to church because they don't have enough dresses. That's ridiculous! My favorite hymn is "Just As I Am." I know it's referring to our inner selves, but it could also apply to the outer appearance!

3. seabee

seabee Guest

:iagree:

Just as I am Thou wilt receive,
    Wilt welcome,pardon.cleanse,relieve:
    because Thy promise I believe,
    O Lamb of God I come,I come....

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

from what I understand about not wearing the pants part is: they are considered too revealing and women should not wear clothes that are tight fitting - these things distract other people (men) from worship or from focusing on God. :?

5. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

Amen, Volley Girl. I grew up Catholic, looked at other churches but kept feeling pulled back by my Catholic roots. We attend St. Eugene in Wendell and if you want a very Spirit filled, Jeses centered church, it's THE ONE!!!!

6. Pants don't have to be tight-fitting. I've seen some tight fitting dresses before! I agree we shouldn't wear things to distract other people in church. I always ask my husband before we go to church if I'm afraid something is too revealing or too tight. He'll tell the truth (and after I change) he'll be the one distracted!!! :lol:

7. H3xKing

H3xKing Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that sees the irony in this statement?

8. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

Appears so. Seems you're the only one trying to make something of it. ;)

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree! But thats their way of thinking. I think it goes way back, probably when pants first came out? and long full skirts were the norm? Obviously they'd frown on any type of tight clothing. We knew a girl once (not sure exactly what their religion was) but all she could wear was long, full skirts, we NEVER saw her or her mother ever wear anything else.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090213125110AAaiTPr

Also - when Oprah did a show about the Mormans (the group that had their children taken away) they only wear those ugly dresses - they even swim in them! :lol:

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. Ha! Swim in them?! That's hilarious! Poor kids! The lady that has 18 kids or is it 19 now wears those dresses and I think all her daughters do too. I think they also have to have real long hair. Glad it's not me!!!

11. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Southern Baptist believe in a Calvinistic theology while Free Will Baptist believe in an Armenian theology. Free Will Baptist are closer to Methodist in theology than they are to Southern Baptist......just that Orignial Free Will Baptist have in their Membership Discipline that you should refrain from strong drink...while Methodist do not.

12. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Also don't forget a huge one. OFWB do not recognize infant Baptism while UMC do.

13. seabee

seabee Guest

Southern Baptist don't either,, they believe in baby dedication, baptism is done when said person understands what baptism is and why they are doing it.

14. That's another reason for me wanting to go to a Southern Baptist or non-denominational. We believe in Baptism when you know what it means. I was Baptized at 11 years old and I knew what it meant and I was ready. I got Baptized in my parents' swimming pool!

15. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

yeah I knew that too, but the point was that is a huge difference between UMC and Baptists...... People can believe whatever they want, but for a UMC person you can be Baptized as an infant.

16. RealityCheck

Actually when you read the baptism for infants in UMC and baby dedications for OFWB or SB, it is practically the same thing. That is why many in the UMC go through baptism once again when they are older and can accept Jesus as their savior. Infant baptism in the UMC is more about the church pledging to show the infant the correct way than the baby "being saved".

But again that is practices, not theology. Armenian and Calvinistic theology is what separates most denominations.

17. seabee

seabee Guest

A pledge by the Church showing the infant the right way, I don't buy that. Its the parents dedicating to God their child till child chooses its own way. It should be the pledge by the parents to properly raise and guide child.

18. That's interesting! I never knew that Methodists could get Baptized again even if they had been as a baby. That makes me look at it a little differently. Thanks for the info! I love learning new things. Sometimes I rely on the wrong sources for what I think I know!

19. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I have heard a pastor say that it's a matter of whether you think baptism is something you do for God, or something God does for you. If you believe baptism is an act of obedience, then clearly the person has to be old enough to understand what they are doing. If baptism means invoking the holy spirit and claiming God's promise, then infant baptism makes sense.

20. RealityCheck

In the UMC it is the parents that present and pledge to properly raise and guide the child, then in response the congregation pledges the same.