Strawbale Gardening - no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Strawbaleman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

10-4, that was me.

Brian Shrader came by the last week in April and filmed the segment. Enjoyed meeting that young man. He was very friendly.

The segment was short and sweet, but pretty good.

I appreciate WRAL taking the time to help get the word out.

Gerald Adams, who's in charge of the grounds at the Executive Mansion, had been in contact with me previously about trying out a bale garden, so I referred Shrader to him, too, and saw they included a little bit of that.

Got to go to work.

Appreciate putting up the link.

3. seabee

seabee Guest

Alright:cheers::cheers: Looking good there...

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

That's awesome Kent! :hurray:

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

How much on each bale? Just spread it out? How often? Gracias.

6. smparrish

smparrish Active Member

Best place for bales

Thanks to Kent our garden has recovered and we are looking forward to a great summer of fresh veggies. Already planning next year's garden and just wondering where people got their bales and at what price. We got our at Lowe's and from Ken's on hwy 50. Paid 4.50 each would be nice to find a lower price for them.

Steven

7. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

That was a great story Kent!

I am really pleased with the results of my first garden. I followed Ken's quick start instructions at the beginning of this thread, using calcium nitrate instead (sweet potato fertilizer) and just doubled the recipe.

I have been pleased with the nitrogen supply so far, so only a weekly feeding with Miracle Gro is needed. I water the bales every day with plain water, feeding them on the weekend with Miracle Gro. I've had to trim them only twice, the grass gets a little high and my husband says I need to mow the bales, lol.

My plants are healthy, disease free, and pest free so far. I'm looking forward to next year and trying strawberries. I even wonder about fruit like raspberries, and blueberries!

8. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

seabee & Harleygirl: appreciate that.

Steven: I got my bales this year from Bennie Barham, a life-long farmer from Rolesville, and a long time friend. Prices depend on how many bales you get and whether you want them delivered or not. Ask around, especially the landscapers.

ponychick: glad to hear the good report.

spacecowboy: I bought some composted manure from Home Depot. It was on sale and had an NPK of 0.2-0.2-0.2 which gives a little snack to the plants each time I water. I just put a double handful around each plant. Kind of experimenting a little more this year.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. Wishbone

Wishbone Guest

Here in Kansas Wheat Straw goes for differnt prices. I paid $2.00 for 20 bales. $2.50 for the other 10. My friends at thier Day Care are trying straw bale gardening too. They gave $2.75 a bale. Local Hay dealer I called wanted $4.00 a Bale. Garden Centers in Wichita,Ks & local Purina Feed stores want $6.00 a bale. The bales I gave $2.50 for was from My Sons Ag Teacher. He's very intrested in My Garden. He farms a couple thousand acres of Wheat, Corn & Milo. I'm going to get more from him as soon as wheat harvest is done & straw baled. That should be at the end of June or first part of July. Wishbone

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Wishbone: I've got to get out of Wake County and go see some real farming country where hundreds and hundreds of acres are being farmed!

It used to be country around here, but no more. We had so many woods that I hardly ever saw a deer in our yard growing up. Now, I'll come home and see 5 in my yard. That's why I had to put up a deer fence.

11. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Watering requirements for bale gardening

Today, I had another gardener object to "all the watering he'd have to do" with a bale garden.

I decided to do some math about watering my garden vs a traditional dirt garden.

I have 60 bales and have been watering them about 5 out of seven days with about 1 gallon/bale, so that puts me around 300 gallons at the max.

My garden is roughly 50 x 50.

If I watered a traditional garden with a sprinkler the equivalent of 1 inch of rain, it would take about 1,558 gallons.

I doubt most folks use soakers with a large garden, especially since they'd have to move them when cultivating and weeding.

You just need to water a little more in the beginning until the bales really start softening up and retaining more moisture.

And, a huge percentage of the watering you do for bale gardening is right where you want the water to go.

Of course, if it rains, all gardeners benefit! Thank you, Lord!

12. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Blossom End Rot

I'd like to add a public service announcement, if you will, about a common problem we have with our gardens, especially with tomatoes - BLOSSOM END ROT.

Dr. Carolyn Male is a regular contributor at www.davesgarden.com, which as you know, I consider the GOLD STANDARD of gardening websites.

Carolyn, which is her screen name at DG, is one of the most knowledgeable people I've read and corresponded with about tomatoes.

So, here's her take on BER that I've retrieved from other sources for those who aren't members at DG:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/information/carolyn_ber.html

Her book: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Hawken-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242773069&sr=8-1

So, in a nutshell, save your money on BER remedies and watch your watering and feeding.

13. msjay2u

msjay2u Member

2 things:
    1- never saw straw so cheap in these parts even moldy ones
    2- I am going on vacation for 4 days and I am on the last days of my watering. if the straw dries out while I am gone does that mean I have to start over when I get back? nothing planted yet
    okay 3 things
    3- Grass is sprouting in my bales That was fast!!

14. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

See if you can get someone to water your bales at least 1 time.

You won't have to start all over.

If you don't get your bales watered before you return, just give them a good watering when you get back and go from there.

15. Wishbone

Wishbone Guest

I was reading all the posts all the way back to First One. I seen those Chinaese 5 peppers & German Johnson Tomatoes. Where can You buy seed? I havent found any. Would like ti try some next year. Wishbone

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

wishbone: another gardener sent me the Chinese 5 Pepper plant.

His name is Shoe Griffin. He is a regular at www.davesgarden.com.

Here's his contact info:

MoonDance Farm
    PO Box 7
    Efland, NC 27243

919-732-8638
    moondancefarm@mindspring.com

I get my tomatoes in flats, so I don't have a source for seeds.

Ask Shoe, he'll have a recommendation for you.

17. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

I bought mine here..

http://www.reimerseeds.com/

Product # hp483-10

On a side note, my plants aren't doing so well in bales. Next year I'm switching back.

18. Heath

Heath Guest

Help ! Yellowish leaves on plants

What do I need to do for the yellowish colored leaves on Okra, cukes, cantelopes, and squash?

19. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

If the whole plant appears yellowish, sounds like you're a little low on nitrogen.

Not sure how you're feeding and watering, but I'd water them in the morning and again after sunset with a Miracle Gro solution.

Do this for a few days in a row.

Start tonight.

Water the leaves with the solution, too.

I've had similar experiences in my early bale garden days, especially in the early stages of growth when the young plants were getting plenty of water, but not enough of everything else.

Remember, straw bales are mostly carbon with no natural nitrogen to speak of.

20. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A few updated pics

Cukes - lots of blooms

[​IMG]

Egg plants, zucchini and yellow squash

[​IMG]

'maters

[​IMG]

A little color added

[​IMG]